Sponsored by:

Switching from Sirius to XM Radio

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 02:07 PM
chrisfast
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switching from Sirius to XM Radio

Hi guys. I'm new to the forum and had a quick question. I just traded in my RS4 for an 06 Cayenne Turbo S. So far I have very mixed emotions about the trade. I really loved my Audi, but I live in Colorado and forced induction just makes so much more sense up here. Plus the wife and the 2 dogs like it more.
Anyway, the Cayenne came with Sirius Radio and I like XM. I was wondering what is involved with switching to XM. With my RS4 I just had them take out the module in the trunk and put in the XM module. Took all of 30 minutes and I was happy. I have heard that there are actually 2 modules in the Cayenne. That doesn't make sence to me, but I have never owned a Porsche until now (waiting for all of the Cayenne haters to tell me I still haven't owned one. ) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-10-2007, 02:13 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chrisfast
Hi guys. I'm new to the forum and had a quick question. I just traded in my RS4 for an 06 Cayenne Turbo S. So far I have very mixed emotions about the trade. I really loved my Audi, but I live in Colorado and forced induction just makes so much more sense up here. Plus the wife and the 2 dogs like it more.
Anyway, the Cayenne came with Sirius Radio and I like XM. I was wondering what is involved with switching to XM. With my RS4 I just had them take out the module in the trunk and put in the XM module. Took all of 30 minutes and I was happy. I have heard that there are actually 2 modules in the Cayenne. That doesn't make since to me, but I have never owned a Porsche until now (waiting for all of the Cayenne haters to tell me I still haven't owned one. ) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Wow, coughing... WOW.....

Lose the wife, keep the dogs and the RS4!

My understanding is that you need to switch the card and then your dealer may or may not need to reset the unit for the new card. www.renntech.org.

Now, like they would say on audiworld.com, search is your friend. I believe we covered this topic less than a week ago with a similar newbie that LTC didn't scare away. Just wait until he get a load of your trade.

Welcome to rennlist.com, please post some pictures of the Rs4, I already know what the CTTS looks like!
Old 08-10-2007, 02:52 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the board Chris.

Be prepared for caustic comments, tis' the nature of the beast.

You can switch the modules, they are under the rear seat somewhere, may need the dealer to use diagnostic tool PIWIS to reset the head unit.

Alternatively wait until the ala carte service becomes available, then you can mix XM and Sirius programming using the reciever you have.

Have great fun with the truck.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:18 PM
chrisfast
Cruisin'

The RS4 was great, but I never drove it really. I traded it with less than 3,600 miles on it. I had the second one in the State last year, so I actually had it for a while. Never had on problem with it the whole time though. The reality is that the CTTS is actually faster at this altitude than the RS was. If you want to see some pictures go to Porsche of Colorado Springs website (I'm not allowed to post pics or links yet according to the message I just got ) I think they still have my car. I did some really trick things to it, like custom floor mats, IPOD adapter in the ashtray, Milltek Valved Exhaust, and custom V1 Radar Detector display to name a few. Whoever gets it is going to get a car that's better than new. And I hope they don't live anywhere near me. Better that I not have to see it again. I will miss it.
Talking about it doesn't make this any easier for me. I've had over 10 Audis in the last 4 years and would have to say the RS4 was by far the coolest one I've ever owned. I liked it a lot more than my Z8, which sucked to drive, but had its own cool factor going on.
Anyway, thanks for the help on this. I am actually surprised that it's this difficult to switch to XM. I guess I will just wait like it was suggested to be able to get programming from both Sirius and XM. I am having the NAV TV Ipod adapter installed Monday. I did search it and came to the conclusion that half the people who did it loved it and half hated it. I'll let you know what I think once it's in.

[QUOTE=yetis]Wow, coughing... WOW.....

Lose the wife, keep the dogs and the RS4!
Old 08-11-2007, 11:26 AM
Cay-ute
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chrisfast - I saw your RS4 at C Springs Porsche, very nice car. I bought my 08 CTT from then a couple of months ago. Not sure I would go to the expense of shifting Sirius to XM but I know that it can be done easily, but exensively. I would give you one piece of advice, stay away from the NAV TV Product and use the Denison Gateway 500 unit instead. I tried both and the Dension is superior. If you want to get it installed, go see Ben at the Car Toys on Academy. He did my install and did a wonderful job. He spent the time to do the research so he understands the system. He also configured the Parrot bluetooth system for me so that it will mute the head unit when using the phone.

Good luck with you CTT.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:40 PM
chrisfast
Cruisin'

Do you know if the Dension Ice Link displays the song titles and everything to the PCM? That was what sold me on the NAV TV. I am already having problems with the install of the NAV TV. They forgot to send me the fiber optic tube that connects to the CD Changer, hence the reason it is supposed to be fully done on Monday. I have had to wait 2 weeks for them to get back to me on the part. Their customer service is already sub-par as far as I can tell. If the Dension displays the info on the PCM I will have them take out the NAV TV part and order an Ice Link. Thanks for the tip. Good to hear that there are other Porsche owners in C.S. :-)
Old 08-11-2007, 12:58 PM
Cay-ute
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chrisfast, yes, the PCM will display song titles using the Denison. There is a terrific thread on this site that you can search for that gives all the info that you need. Search on Denison Gateway 500, there are some screen shots and alot of information about what shows up on PCM. The new advantage that the Denison seems to have is they have a bluetooth interface kit for it as well. I bought my from Eric at Bumperplugs.com, he has been the best at getting the system and helping people get it working. Good luck.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:30 PM
chrisfast
Cruisin'

Thanks for all of the input. I just called Drive-In Autosound who is doing the NAV TV. I asked them to pull it all out and install a Dension. They said they would have one in no later than Tuesday and that it would not be a problem. When they asked me why the sudden change of mind I told them that the Rennlist forum doesn't seem very thrilled with NAV TV. Apparently a good enough answer. They're not even going to charge me a double install fee which I was more than willing to pay. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Switching from Sirius to XM Radio