Sponsored by:

PCM 2.1 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 01:38 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM 2.1 Problems

A couple weeks ago I noted on this board that my radio would switch bands, stations or just shut off on its own. This happened only a few times in my first 18 months of ownership and I didn't think much of it (assuming it was an anomaly caused by electronic interference or something).

In the last couple weeks, it has been happening pretty frequently-- usually once a day or so.

I brought the truck in for the dealer to have a look.

Well, dealer has determined there is a hardware issue in my PCM 2.1 and I am getting a brand new one. Should be here in a couple of weeks. (I couldn't replicate the problem, but they had a diagnostic tool which verified what I said).

Kudos for Porsche Nashua for taking care of this for me. (They rate an 11 on a scale of 1-10 for service and I am happy to spend a few extra minutes in the car to get up there from Boston).

I have 43,XXX on the clock, and at my rate of travel, I will be nekkid in the late fall. I am thankful they are taking care of this now under warranty because a new PCM 2.1 unit could run up to $5,000+ when all is said and done (labor etc.) .

The service manager said he has seen these problems in only one other Cayenne-- also an '06. But, if anyone is having these symptoms with their PCM, definitely see the dealer before your warranty runs.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:00 PM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I still find it astonishing that a PCM can cost so much money, given that one can pick up a top of the line aftermatket navigation system for 1/10 of that amount.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:21 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Rome, I had similar experience happen to me.

Service work order states:

Cust states the PCM intemittantly goes blank. Will give "system error" meassages. Diag and advise
Fault code 8017 set in PCMGW
Performed test on antenne diversity system. Ran diversity
tests. Ok at 122MA. Checked EDCS dos respository.
Attempted PCM installation, unsuccessfull. New PCM will not
code.
Reordered PCM2
Installed PCM2, tested ok. Cleared fault memory set.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:25 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

For those who have bought expensive after market warranties, I am wondering whether this would be covered. It is a pretty big ticket item (probably $5000 or more) which can crap out out of the blue (i.e. you can't do preventive maintance like on an engine) and a Cay with 50,000+ miles is only worth in the high 20's to low 30's according to KBB.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:52 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rome
For those who have bought expensive after market warranties, I am wondering whether this would be covered. It is a pretty big ticket item (probably $5000 or more) which can crap out out of the blue (i.e. you can't do preventive maintance like on an engine) and a Cay with 50,000+ miles is only worth in the high 20's to low 30's according to KBB.
Yes, if factory installed option ** AND ** you have the electronics OPTION on the ext. warranty. Easy Care is the company which my dealer used.. I believe they are ONLY available through a dealer (www.easycare.com).
Old 08-09-2007, 05:15 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My Mercury Policy specifically covers factory installed Audio and Navigation Systems and drive shafts, transfer cases and suspension parts (air)
Old 08-09-2007, 06:43 PM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

Thanks Rome (and Craig)- I've been chasing the same gremlin - if they can' find it I will take it up to Nashua.

BTW - this is my second PCM already.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:51 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would just like to take this opportunity to mention that the headunits (CDR and PCM) are Harman Becker products from Germany.

Nothing described here surprises me.....been there, done that.

BTW, PCM3.....you guessed it.....Becker.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:19 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rome, I'm glad it was resolved before you hit 50k. I just got a call from my dealer telling me that they ran out of the air bag kits. Great.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:29 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rome
A couple weeks ago I noted on this board that my radio would switch bands, stations . .

thats normal and its not the radio, its the radio stations they send a signal to the radio " why you see the artist and song title" when 2 stations send the same signal the radio will chnage to the station with the stonger signal.
Called diversity antennas.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:41 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

not sure i get this brad. i've had other cars that had radios that take the info signal and never had this proble. Also, bands moved, e.g. from a.m. to fm to siri on their own...and radio would just shut off on its own.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:41 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
Rome, I'm glad it was resolved before you hit 50k. I just got a call from my dealer telling me that they ran out of the air bag kits. Great.
why do you need a new airbag? i'm sure sunset would have it. they stock everything.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:08 AM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Enigma- you talking about the air bag recall?? I got a notice a week ago(?) and waiting to take in for 40k service to have that fixed.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:06 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the changing stations is normal, the bands/ turing off not so much

air bag kit is for the recall
w725 connector replacent
w726 airbag replacement
depending on vin

sunset probaly doesnt have too many they are allocated by the amount of cars you service
Old 08-10-2007, 09:46 AM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
the changing stations is normal, the bands/ turing off not so much
I find it hard to believe that changing stations is normal. The diversity antenna switches antennas to get signal gain - RDS on the other hand does have the ability to change to a stronger signal on an alternate frequency, but we're not talking about changing stations that transmit on different frequencies (for example WAAF transmits on 107.3 and 97.7 in Boston) we're talking about changing from an alternative rock station to a hip hop or talk station - there is no way the RDS data could be confused unless there is a curruption in the pcm software or hardware.

Lewis care to comment, beyond it's a Becker?

Quick Reply: PCM 2.1 Problems