PCM 2.1 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 10:12 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shamus
I find it hard to believe that changing stations is normal. The diversity antenna switches antennas to get signal gain - RDS on the other hand does have the ability to change to a stronger signal on an alternate frequency, but we're not talking about changing stations that transmit on different frequencies (for example WAAF transmits on 107.3 and 97.7 in Boston) we're talking about changing from an alternative rock station to a hip hop or talk station - there is no way the RDS data could be confused unless there is a curruption in the pcm software or hardware. Lewis care to comment?
I agree.. here's my historical way to illustrate the point:

Senator..er, Shamus, I served with Jack..er, Lewis: I knew Lewis; Lewis was a Beta friend of mine. Senator.. ugh, Shamus.... Brad is no Jack.. er, Lewis on these matters!! (Sorry Brad, and apologies to the late Senator Benson)
Old 08-10-2007, 07:39 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can only explain as it was explained to me, by the becker engineer in radio class. its a problem that only exists in the us and its the radio stations fault.
I have checked signal strenght using the radios on diffrent stations and have seen it activily switch ti a stonger station
Old 08-11-2007, 05:15 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shamus
I find it hard to believe that changing stations is normal. The diversity antenna switches antennas to get signal gain - RDS on the other hand does have the ability to change to a stronger signal on an alternate frequency, but we're not talking about changing stations that transmit on different frequencies (for example WAAF transmits on 107.3 and 97.7 in Boston) we're talking about changing from an alternative rock station to a hip hop or talk station - there is no way the RDS data could be confused unless there is a curruption in the pcm software or hardware.

Lewis care to comment, beyond it's a Becker?
Believe it. Heres an example of what happened to me. There was rap/hip hop station on 92.3 that got turned into a FM talk radio station. The rap station was then changed to 98.3. Well for about a month after the switch if you tuned into 98.3 the radio would switch over to 92.3 after about 10 seconds. This is because the 98.3 was still using the same RBDS info so basically it was telling the radio 'hey even though you're listening to me on 98.3 I'm really 92.3' and the radio would change the station. The stations finally got it cleared up and everything went back to normal.

Porsche has technical information on this. If you're a member of renntech you can access technical information. Look for 'PI Codes On CDR 23/24 & PCM 2.0/2.1.'
Old 08-11-2007, 08:23 PM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That I would agree is normal.... there was some connection between the two stations and the RBDS behaved as designed

That is not what I experience nor based on Rome's post what he experienced.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:32 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxjim
Enigma- you talking about the air bag recall?? I got a notice a week ago(?) and waiting to take in for 40k service to have that fixed.
Yes. They ran out of the kits because they were "overwhelmed by the response".
Old 07-23-2008, 06:48 PM
nealM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did the dealer elaborate on how they diagnosed the problem?

My PCM unit does this in my town, but not at the dealer where the radio stations are different (60 miles away), so they won't replace the head unit.

Quick Reply: PCM 2.1 Problems