The first impressions

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...rid/index.html
Old 07-29-2007, 10:41 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll keep my Ford Escape Hybrid....thank you !!!!
Old 07-30-2007, 10:22 PM
Ray H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had to chuckle when I saw the ! in the gauge picture.

Attached Images  
Old 07-30-2007, 11:31 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Ray H
Had to chuckle when I saw the ! in the gauge picture.

That TPMS is a different "!" than the REAL "!"
Old 07-31-2007, 03:34 AM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, didn't know they are that far along in the development of this vehicle. Should be a good opportunity for Porsche to demonstrate its technical prowess. I think this system is strategic to the future of the company, given that it will be adopted to multiple vehicles.

If it can really yield 24+ MPG, it will surely resurrect the lagging sales currently seen. Should help improve resale value as well.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:56 AM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

Dream on real world 24 MPG. I wish Porsche would transfer some of their diesel technology from Audi and build a true engine that would last a long time and get the MPG in the real world. Diesel is real popular here in Germany for its ability to have vehicles with decent performance that return good results for MPG and although you see the occasional Pirus it is more of a novelty. So I say put in a V8 Diesel for overall value and the 12 for performance. IMHO
Old 07-31-2007, 09:03 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by rountreed
Dream on real world 24 MPG. I wish Porsche would transfer some of their diesel technology from Audi and build a true engine that would last a long time and get the MPG in the real world. Diesel is real popular here in Germany for its ability to have vehicles with decent performance that return good results for MPG and although you see the occasional Pirus it is more of a novelty. So I say put in a V8 Diesel for overall value and the 12 for performance. IMHO
+1 on the diesel endorsement. I only bought a hybrid since my state (MA) doesn't allow new diesel passenger vehicles to be sold (only in trucks).

PAG could have had the V10TDI used in the Touareg (we'll skip the often repeated story of THAT meeting between VAG and PAG......the diesel and 3rd row seat died that day).....but suffice it to say, Dr W. won't even allow diesels in the parking lot, let alone the product lineup. And remember, in Dr. W we trust.

BTW, there is VERY little Porsche content in the hybrid drive system....lots of Porsche marketing/branding.....but very little content.......or so I've been told, I'd have no idea myself.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:29 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

what does "synergy drive" translate to in german ?

Look for it in marketing material.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:55 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mudman2
what does "synergy drive" translate to in german ?
It translates to "Toyota"
Old 07-31-2007, 11:35 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc
It translates to "Toyota"

Hmmmm, actually Dr. W. said "Prius-ly.. er, uh.... I mean, previously, while being developed it was code-named, Porsche Intermixing Geotechnical Gearbox Intercooler Engineering Systems.... or P.I.G.G.I.E.S for short."
Old 07-31-2007, 09:16 PM
DMB14
Racer

Wow the Cayenne is absolutely terrible on gas.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:26 AM
racer_65
Racer

Originally Posted by ltc
+1 on the diesel endorsement. I only bought a hybrid since my state (MA) doesn't allow new diesel passenger vehicles to be sold (only in trucks).
Hybrid system is a better for Porsche from a corporate strategic perspective, since it can be put into multiple models. While a Diesel engine might be a good proposition for a SUV, I can't imagine anyone would want it in a Panamera. With Hybrid offerings across its model line, Porsche would be well positioned to meet the more stringent emissions and fuel economy requirements in the next decade.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:23 AM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

racer_65 agree you are correct from Porsche's current point of view but considering Audi is winning races now with a diesel over other petrol engines what does that hold for the future? A diesel does not sound sexy like a good petrol engine but they can make some hp and tq while giving real world economy. I guess Toyota saved Porsche with its Lean Six Sigma approach to making autos so now Porsche is looking to them instead of the RD done by its new partner Audi. Again if I could be king for a day a Porsche Cayenne would handle like a Porsche, have the interior quality of an Audi and a V8 diesel to return 20+ MPG around town and 30 on the highway. Maybe the new smaller Audi SUV coming out will give me those qualities, till then I am on the sidelines and will continue to hear my wife complain about me having a Porsche 996 and her not having a Cayenne, ie not fair in her eyes!
Old 08-01-2007, 01:00 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rountreed
racer_65 agree you are correct from Porsche's current point of view but considering Audi is winning races now with a diesel over other petrol engines what does that hold for the future? A diesel does not sound sexy like a good petrol engine but they can make some hp and tq while giving real world economy. I guess Toyota saved Porsche with its Lean Six Sigma approach to making autos so now Porsche is looking to them instead of the RD done by its new partner Audi. Again if I could be king for a day a Porsche Cayenne would handle like a Porsche, have the interior quality of an Audi and a V8 diesel to return 20+ MPG around town and 30 on the highway. Maybe the new smaller Audi SUV coming out will give me those qualities, till then I am on the sidelines and will continue to hear my wife complain about me having a Porsche 996 and her not having a Cayenne, ie not fair in her eyes!
Dr W: QUOTE "Diesel = Pig = Not going to happen"
Larry: QUOTE "Cayenne = Pig = Hell"
Everyone else: QUOTE "Non alpha/beta Cayenne = Heaven SUV"
Old 08-02-2007, 05:31 AM
racer_65
Racer

Going back to my original point, Porsche can sell a Hybrid Cayenne, Hybrid Panamera, maybe even a Hybrid boxter/Cayman, or 911. Replace the word "Hybrid" with Diesel, and it will only be able to sell the Cayenne. In addition, if they want to go to market quickly, they almost have to buy the technology rather than developing it from scratch. These days, it's not too uncommon for car makers to purchase certain technology from other vendors. For examples, Jaguars often have German transmissions; Land Rover uses Jaguar engines.

You can actually get a very high quality interior in a Cayenne, but you need to spend a lot of money -- get the full leather interior, opt for the soft-look leather, get the wood trim, etc. Personally I can do without the cosmetics in a truck; mostly I just need a sturdy interior that can withstand the abuse of kids riding in the back.

Quick Reply: Cayenne hybrid