Sponsored by:

Bluetooth Adapter for Dension Gateway 500

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 06:32 PM
bancu
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth Adapter for Dension Gateway 500

Eric at BumperPlugs.com is shipping these.

Mine came in this morning and I did a mockup install during part of lunch.

Haven't completely sorted out how everything works but I had it plugged in, paired and playing stereo and phone audio from a Windows Mobile device in very little time.

It was even beeping and displaying phone numbers of incoming calls on the PCM display when I had the CDC selected. I could also pickup or reject the call using buttons on the PCM. I'm not saying I could use it hands free yet 'cause I didn't have the mic hooked up and haven't sorted that out yet.

Eric is working on the pin outs for the mute function.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:55 PM
hindibuff
Advanced

That is just freaking awesome. So you are getting the sound to play through ALL the speakers?

Next thing to know would be stuff like, is the phone book displayed on this PCM?

Mic placement?

Caller ID picture display?

Voice command recognition? ( for those of us using windows phones)?

Does the music mute when there is an incoming calls? I guess once u figure out the pins for mute, that would be easy to accomplish.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:51 PM
bancu
Racer

Originally Posted by hindibuff
That is just freaking awesome. So you are getting the sound to play through ALL the speakers?
Yes. It pretty much treats Bluetooth as another source so it ‘plays’ it just like iPod or USB.

Next thing to know would be stuff like, is the phone book displayed on this PCM?
No. It just displays the incoming phone number and lets you press a PCM key to accept or reject the call.

It does not upload your contacts into the PCM.

Mic placement??
The mic plugs into the Dension Bluetooth add-on so you can place it wherever you can run the cable. Right now mine runs from under the back seat to the steering wheel area.

Caller ID picture display?
No. Just the phone number.

Voice command recognition? (for those of us using windows phones)??
It appears so but...to get at this you've got to select Bluetooth as the input source and then select to make a voice command call. I see myself using this for inbound calls but the interface and integration make it's outbound usefulness (beyond hands free) doubtful.

Does the music mute when there is an incoming calls? I guess once u figure out the pins for mute, that would be easy to accomplish.
Without (and perhaps with) cabling into the back of the PCM it only mutes and displays calls when the CDC is selected. Eric has checked with Dension but they don't have confirmed word on the pins or if it will mute the PCMs other sources or switch to the incoming call.

I don't see myself trying to cable the mute stuff in until Dension can confirm the pinouts and added functionality.

In short it falls short when compared to ‘complete’ Bluetooth hands free kits but if you’ve already got the Gateway 500 it’s nice add-on to get some Bluetooth functionality.

It’s worth it to me for just the inbound hands free and WMP integration. It looks like it will eliminate most of my need for the USB connectivity since the main reason I use USB as a source is for podcasts. I already have Windows Mobile grabbing my podcasts so the Bluetooth connectivity lets me just keep my SD card in my phone.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:06 AM
hindibuff
Advanced

wow!!
Thanks for all the wonderful answers. Few more questions from someone using a Microsoft phone with a Parrot kit in the Cay.

1. Have you noticed the phone not pairing or losing pairing with the device every now and then when u get in the car?

2. You mentioned its cumbersome to make outgoing calls. Seems strange.

3. When the FM is playing, I understand it does not mute, but does it still display the call visually and tone?

4. I wonder what it would take to add a phone book functionality or be able to use the one built into the car PCM. I know the second option is far fetched but would be awesome.

Ok, you have me convinced. Sounds good. My biggest gripe with the Parrot kit is the speaker that I have for it is not loud enough. well, to be really correct, the car has become very noisy ( bad tires) so I am thinking it may be time for a nice upgrade on tires and also on the Dension unit.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:15 AM
bancu
Racer

wow!!
Thanks for all the wonderful answers. Few more questions from someone using a Microsoft phone with a Parrot kit in the Cay.

1. Have you noticed the phone not pairing or losing pairing with the device every now and then when u get in the car?.
I’ve only got a couple of weeks on it but my MDA seems to pair every time.

2. You mentioned its cumbersome to make outgoing calls. Seems strange.
From the phone it’s done as usual.

With the Gateway/PCM it’s purely the way the chose to implement it. If I’m remembering correctly making a out going call, via the PCM with the Gateway add-on and the “CDC” selected goes something like:
1. Press and hold the PCM number 6 to select the Gateway menu.
2. Press and hold the PCM right arrow to select the Gateway source menu.
3. Press the PCM right arrow (multiple times) to “scroll” to Bluetooth (there’s an audio and a phone option but I don’t think it matters).
4. Press the PCM and hold right arrow to select Bluetooth.
5. From there I think it’s another step or two to select voice dial. I honestly don’t remember because I lost interest back at step 2.

3. When the FM is playing, I understand it does not mute, but does it still display the call visually and tone?
No.

4. I wonder what it would take to add a phone book functionality or be able to use the one built into the car PCM. I know the second option is far fetched but would be awesome.
Agreed but Dension can’t even confirm that the mute wiring. It makes me wonder if they even have PCM on hand.

Ok, you have me convinced. Sounds good. My biggest gripe with the Parrot kit is the speaker that I have for it is not loud enough. well, to be really correct, the car has become very noisy (bad tires) so I am thinking it may be time for a nice upgrade on tires and also on the Dension unit.
If you’ve already got the Gateway 500 for the iPod (USB etc.) integration the Bluetooth add-on is a reasonable move.

If you’re adding the Gateway 500 and Bluetooth add-on just to use your phone hands free I think you’re going to be disappointed. From what I’ve seen of other hands free Bluetooth kits in client’s vehicles they’re much more functional and advanced.

Your questions got me to thinking today that the best of all worlds would really be if the Gateway Bluetooth add-on could act as a bridge between the existing hands free offerings and the PCM.

You actually hit on a point with your loudness comment. The Gateway 500 doesn’t ‘remember’ the sound output for each source. I find myself having to turn the PCM volume up for the phone calls and back down when it flips back to the iPod.

I also had a client note today that there was bit of an echo.

If clarity is your biggest concern you might want to take a look at the headset that http://jawbone.com/ offers. I haven’t tried one yet but the online demos are amazing. I’ve used too many headsets over the years to be a fan of them (even less so when you’ve got to charge them) but the demos are mind blowing. Makes me wish they’d put the same noise canceling technology into the hands free kits.

ATT has the JawBone headsets in their stores for the same price as JawBone sells them online. BestBuy wants quite a bit more. You guess it I’m in shopping mode and will pull the trigger shortly if ATT offers a 30 day return policy.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:01 AM
bancu
Racer

1. Have you noticed the phone not pairing or losing pairing with the device every now and then when u get in the car?
I may have written too soon. I had _one_ failure to re-pair when I got in the truck today.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:39 PM
jasper21
4th Gear

Is there any way to tap into the built in mic. Perhaps directly into the wire as opposed to getting it to work through the PCM. Or has anyone tried putting the supplied mic into the overhead console?
Old 07-26-2007, 07:41 PM
jasper21
4th Gear

Also has anyone got the voice dial feature working? Is it just the phones voice dial or is there built in voice recognition in the BTA1000 I imagine it is the phones which my BlackBerry doesn't have. Does the iphone work with this feature?
Old 07-27-2007, 01:29 AM
bancu
Racer

Originally Posted by jasper21
Is there any way to tap into the built in mic. Perhaps directly into the wire as opposed to getting it to work through the PCM. Or has anyone tried putting the supplied mic into the overhead console?
No idea.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:38 AM
bancu
Racer

Originally Posted by jasper21
Also has anyone got the voice dial feature working? Is it just the phones voice dial or is there built in voice recognition in the BTA1000 I imagine it is the phones which my BlackBerry doesn't have. Does the iphone work with this feature?
It passes audio to the phone once you punch buttons on the PCM a bunch of times. That's why I don't see myself using it to initiate calls. It's quicker and less involved to just grab the phone even if I have to dig it out of my pocket.

The BTA1000 is really pretty dumb. It pretty much just passes audio between the gateway and a Bluetooth device. The inexpensive price compared to other Bluetooth hands free units kind of indicates that.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:15 AM
hindibuff
Advanced

I am still confused about two things:

1. If a call comes in, and I am playing FM, there is no way for me to know about this call through Dension. I know my phone will ring, but then I would like for the Dension to beep or do something at least.

2. To make a call, so even if I place a call using the phone, does the Dension take over once the call goes through or no? On a normal bluetooth headset or hands-free, that is what happens.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:10 AM
bancu
Racer

1. If a call comes in, and I am playing FM, there is no way for me to know about this call through Dension. I know my phone will ring, but then I would like for the Dension to beep or do something at least.
I'd like a beep or something too but it doesn't do that if you're listening to FM, AM or the internal CD.

Nothing happens unless the Gateway is the active PCM source. They even list this as the behavior in their material. I had to read it twice after I had observed the behavior to realized the hair they were splitting.

2. To make a call, so even if I place a call using the phone, does the Dension take over once the call goes through or no? On a normal bluetooth headset or hands-free, that is what happens.
Yes if the Gateway is selected as the source on the PCM.

I'm finding that your "call goes through" phrasing is key. When I 'dial' from the phone I don't hear anything (rings) via the Gateway/PCM until the other person has picked up.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth Adapter for Dension Gateway 500