Sponsored by:

Way OT: 2006 M5

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 01:43 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Way OT: 2006 M5

I had a chance to drive my friend's '06 M5 last night.

What a monster this car is. It also feels like it's about 10 years ahead of its time technology wise.

There are so many cool features, I don't know where to begin. 500 HP, you can customize you DME mapping (unlike our Cayennes which (supposedly) learn by themselves), heads up display, paddle shifter, push button start, cool gear shifter, incredible NAV and audio system with blue tooth... and so on..and so one. When I turned over the key (which is ultra cool BTW) and got back into my CS, it felt really ancient in comparison.

If I were in the market for sedan (and putting aside the fact that I need 4WD), I'm not sure there is another vehicle which comes close.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:05 PM
mlm0505
Track Day

Default Agreed....

I absolutely love my CTT...the power, driving pleasure, and 4WD capabilities are wonderful...It has done exactly what I need in one vehicle...

That being said, when my lease is up in 10 months, I think I'm gonna go the route of M5 as a daily driver and combine it with some sort of "affordable" 4WD for all of my trips to the mountains and snow...(perhaps something as simple as a Toyota Tacoma - 4 door)...
The combined cost may be slightly higher than a CTT, but the fact that you dont pay a dime of maintenance on the M5 may make up that difference...
and as mentioned previously, the technology of bluetooth, good nav, IPOD, etc, etc...blah blah...
I don't wanna whine, but it is totally ridiculous that the '06's, much less the facelifted '08's couldn't get these types of things in...and I know all the reasons why, i just simply think they're BS reasons...

.....but, depending on where pricing is...there is a possibility of another CTT, just unlikely....I need a new interior to look at and sit in...oh...and I hate my service place...both because of having to go and how they've handled things...
Old 04-12-2007, 04:13 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's funny how different people like different cars, music, homes, women, etc....

I have a 2000 540i, and always said the last crop of BMW's I would own were the generation before the current generation (I always buy used, except for the CS we just bought that was a great deal new). The only current car they have that I somewhat like is the 335i WITHOUT idrive but with a stick and sport package.

I would take a clean low mileage '03 M5 (old body style) plus the cash savings before thinking of the new M5. I don't go for almost everything many people that like the new car cite, like the paddle shifters/SMG/F1 style trannys, idrive, the ugly interior, the ugly exterior, scrunched up gauges, push button start/stop (unncessary gimmik)...even the small things bother me like the way the buttons for the power windows tilt away from the driver vs. the older generation where they tilt towards you, the weird blinker switch (push up & it goes a couple of times- push up past click and the blinker stays on, then you push the other way to turn the blinker off and the other blinker goes on, etc..). 400HP is enough for me in the old one. I used to love BMW's but no more.

This is why I started my post the way I did- because different people can have such different tastes in things. It is an awesome car I'll admit, just not for me

Originally Posted by rome
I had a chance to drive my friend's '06 M5 last night.

What a monster this car is. It also feels like it's about 10 years ahead of its time technology wise.

There are so many cool features, I don't know where to begin. 500 HP, you can customize you DME mapping (unlike our Cayennes which (supposedly) learn by themselves), heads up display, paddle shifter, push button start, cool gear shifter, incredible NAV and audio system with blue tooth... and so on..and so one. When I turned over the key (which is ultra cool BTW) and got back into my CS, it felt really ancient in comparison.

If I were in the market for sedan (and putting aside the fact that I need 4WD), I'm not sure there is another vehicle which comes close.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:47 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew911
idrive, the ugly interior, the ugly exterior ... I used to love BMW's but no more.
My thoughts exactly.

But I'm still hopeful that some day ... they will come up with a beautiful redesign.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:45 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

I am hopeful too, because the BMW driving dynamics and combination of handling and ride are not found in any other car I've driven. A shame they ruined the rest of the car/cars (in my opinion)
Old 04-12-2007, 09:50 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Let's face it, the new M5 is a sedan on steroids, not in the same class of a sports car.
As far as the looks, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.....
I have to admit that I almost bought one last year......
Old 04-19-2007, 03:20 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

I like the new looks I understand not liking them but I dont understand the uproar or almost hostile
feelings towards the new ones(the Bangles?). Maybe its the loyalists just like us Porsche guys but I bought a 335i sports package and then I liked that one so much I bought an X5 because although I am dyied in the wool Porsche guy I dont like the way a Cayenne looks I tried and tried to like it. Even with the GREAT prices on the Cayenne Titanium S's right now I couldnt do it. I thought the X5 4.8is looks much better I was disappointed in that I could buy the Cayenne. So your right beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:37 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Given the choice of M5 vs new CTT, I'll take the CTT any day.

Both cars have a lot of pluses and a few minuses, but I hate the lack of interior storage space and relatively small interior room (for passengers) of the 5. Lack of bluetooth and ipod connection in CTT is unfortunately and inexcusable, but these can be added on easily after-market.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:21 PM
ozr
Racer

Exclamation

..."clown smile" face current BMW 5series including M5 and "pure ugly from any angle" current BMW 7series will be replaced in 2010 by new much MORE appropriate design (for such a car), see below...

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/n...3300_14140.hbs
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/f...300_14140.hbs&

...at the same time BMW attempts to create Panamera competition (and MB CLS competition) in a form of a new "BMW concept CS" (...ugly face again... ), see below...

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/f...::show::501310

...video available here...

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/v...vid_all_01.hbs

OZRacing

Last edited by ozr; 04-20-2007 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:26 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

By the time you switch it to PS500, I'm gone..LOL
Old 04-20-2007, 02:41 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

What about the Merc E63. It is even faster than the M5, a bit cheaper, and the new redesign is actually quite nimble in the twisties. Don't get me wrong, my choice is the CTT, but I would pick the E63 second.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:13 AM
phantomias33
Rennlist Member

I don't like to admit that I'm brand biased because I want to be completely objective and brand agnostic. HOWEVER, I'll admit that I hate BMW and it has mostly to do with the people I know who have owned them and not the cars themselves.

That being said, our M5 was won me over at least on that model. It is an incredible car and blows the pants of many premium cars. I do love it and enjoy driving it but I do have criticisms as well. I've always said that the M5 was on a short leash pending the official release of the Panamera. Then I ran into this link and am thinking that the Panamera now may have some stiff competition. Put a V12 in this body and WOW!

LINK
Attached Images  
Old 04-20-2007, 10:07 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE=phantomias33]HOWEVER, I'll admit that I hate BMW and it has mostly to do with the people I know who have owned them and not the cars themselves. QUOTE]

Well, you're in good company on this forum being as I'd like to think that the overwhelming majority of people on here buy cars for the right reasons (they like them, the driving dynamics, etc...) as opposed to the wrong reasons (status symbol, keeping up with the Joneses, etc). By the nature we're on a car forum, I'd like to think that anyway

The picture you posted looks nice- I'm not really one for the squished sedan look, mostly for practacility (i.e. why 4 doors, when it's really more like a coupe), but must admid the AMG version of that Mercedes 4-door looks mean (in a good way), as well as that car you posted. Not a car for me, but I could see how one would like the looks of it.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:49 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

That new 4-Door Porsche is gonna have it's hands full with the new M5 - Bet ya Porsche throws a dual-turbo (ala Cayenne Turbo S) engine in it for its introduction...

Quick Reply: Way OT: 2006 M5