Sponsored by:

Coming Off Warranty + WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 12:55 AM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default check

autotrader and you will see why. 400+ "used" 06 cayennes, some with under 10 miles on them. porsche dumped these to clear the decks for the 08 launch, now they are saturating the market. wait a bit if you think things are bad now, cause the market still hasn't caught up to this.

on the plus side, if you like the pre-08 body, you can now go and pick up a "used" 06 with 5 miles on it for a pretty cheap price and get the CPO to take it to 100k at the same time. not a bad deal if you have to have one....
Old 03-30-2007, 09:41 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 582 Posts

Just sold a late build '04 CS with 44K miles- loved the vehicle but wasn't going to keep it "naked"- could imagine what some PASM replacement parts would cost, etc. My son sold it a lot quicker on ebay than I thought it would take and we got what I thought was a good price. It was a VERY clean truck well taken care of so someone got a good vehicle with 6K miles left on the warranty.
If I'd kept it until this fall when it got close to 50K I'd hate to think what I'd have gotten for it...
Old 03-30-2007, 02:17 PM
Beezr
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any guesses on how much lower the prices will go? How long can they keep the 06 prices up just so the dealers can say "well, you can have an 08 for just a few thousand more..." My local dealer has said they're not getting many 08s - "Porsche doesn't produce that many cars each year..."
Old 03-30-2007, 06:07 PM
Twinned
Intermediate

To the original post: Dealer provides third party insurer who they say covers everything except "maintenance items" - serviced at the Dealer. My CTT has 25k miles, and they would extend for 5 more years up to 75k miles (50k more) for $4265. Gonna get the contract to examine the fine print.

To the posts from the unbelievers: I take your points on the model switch. Still I say the Turbos are a special vehicle. I think I like the '08 redesidged rear end better than the '06 and earlier, but I'm not convinced on the front. The new engine, suspension, and transmission modes seem compelling on the '08, but a low miles '04 or '05 Turbo in the 60's seems like a buy relative to a new 'S', especially if you get a CPO or third-party warranty for 50k miles or so.

If you really NEED the first of a new generation Porsche within a few months of release, you will always pay. Wait half a year to a year and the selection and price improves dramatically.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:14 AM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default if you

believe the story about them getting a limited number of 08 models, i have a bridge to show you. the 100k cars mantra is at full swing, and they will not sell any car before you pay for it.

the 06 dump has started the prices falling, but as i have said, the market hasn't adjusted yet. wait a month or so, and you should be able to get an 06 pretty cheap. if my gag reflex hadn't kicked in where porsche was concerned, i would probably be looking this route.

and if you think the 06 dump kills the prices, wait until the 09 dump for the 10's. then it will really be a redesign coming. of course, then the 2013 facelift will be coming down the pike.....
Old 04-02-2007, 09:04 AM
tbill
Racer

Have a '04 "S" with a build date of November of 2003. Currently has 35,000 miles on it and have not had any issues with it. Plan on driving another year or two, then pass on to my daughter as I'm sure they won't allow much for a trade-in. Replacement vehicle will probably be the new Paramara sedan in '09.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:24 AM
black993man
Advanced

I just managed to get out from my expiring warranty '04 CS on trade for a fair trade value... Whew. After seeing this forum thread, the $40k threshold for successful CS ebay auction private party sales, and many REALLY LOWBALL dealer trade-in offers as I shopped for my replacement vehicle I was starting to sweat it. Didn't I just read an article not too long ago touting how Cayennes enjoyed such a great re-sale?? The final analysis for me was unfortunately not so great for my CS judged on cost of ownership relative to the experience provided. I know PCNA wouldn't like to hear this, and others quite likely have had a better time of it. If it wasn't so prone to end up in the shop, I might have felt better about it. No more beta cars for me.

Quick Reply: Coming Off Warranty + WTF?