Sponsored by:

cayenne roof box

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 01:15 PM
nychase
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TomF
With my Thule Sonic box, I can get the Pano roof fully open. I can tell you I was REALLY nervous the first time I tried to open it! I measured everything carefully and then opened it (with my hand on the ****) with my wife watching very closely. The Yakima clamps appear to be a bit deeper than the Thule ones so I doubt you can get it fully open. Be careful, the panels are really, really expensive!

Everyone in our household is down with stomach flu, but I'll post pics when I can.

Cheers,
TomF
Tom, are you using the same roof transport bars as well? I think I'm down to the Inno 18 and the Sonic XL. Its annoying though because the Inno 18 is actually only 15cu/ft....love to know who came up with that marketing genius! That being said, Travis has confirmed that the Inno's clamps will work on the bars and thats really the biggest factor here with those 4" bars. I don't plan on using more than the box on the roof since if I want to carry bikes Ill just hitch mount them.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:30 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Inno also has a T-channel adapter kit. The only reason I can see using the claw feet, especially with a pano roof, is if you are only putting the box on there multiple times a year. Otherwise, using the T-channel is a much more secure way to go.

With the Touareg cross bars, your only option is the T-channel since those are split bars that are quite thick. There's an instruction guide with those Porsche bars that explains how to use the T-channel if you're not familiar with it.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:47 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by nychase
Tom, are you using the same roof transport bars as well? I think I'm down to the Inno 18 and the Sonic XL. Its annoying though because the Inno 18 is actually only 15cu/ft....love to know who came up with that marketing genius! That being said, Travis has confirmed that the Inno's clamps will work on the bars and thats really the biggest factor here with those 4" bars. I don't plan on using more than the box on the roof since if I want to carry bikes Ill just hitch mount them.
Yes, I have the factory bars. The Thule is a tight fit for the bars, but nothing too challenging. FYI, I have the factory RTS option, with the integrated roof channels.

With a new baby, (and an 80-lb Golden Retriever) we needed the space. I was really suprised how much baby gear we could throw in the carrier. Even with the carrier fully loaded, I only discern a slight change in handing. We usually drive WA 20 which has to be one of the best sports car highways in the state.

I bought the Cayenne for over-the-passes road trips. More than 20k Miles later, I am glad I did. I still enjoy the Cayenne almost as much my 911. Time to get the Golden a harness!

Cheers,
TomF
Old 05-04-2016, 02:15 AM
nychase
Instructor

Originally Posted by TomF
Yes, I have the factory bars. The Thule is a tight fit for the bars, but nothing too challenging. FYI, I have the factory RTS option, with the integrated roof channels.
When you say the Factory RTS option you just mean the same channel that all 955/957's have right? I'm only being particular since there are so many ways to mount factory bars (the cross bars we are discussing mounted in the channels (roof transport system), the rails mounted over the length of the channels, the factory cross bars for the rails only)

Do you have the Sonic L or XL? Based on Pete's pictures the Sonic XL at 90" Long should fit acceptably. Would love a pic when you get a chance.

I'm in the same boat, Baby, 60lb lab and a 1000 mile trip at least 4x in the next 6 months.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:58 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by nychase
When you say the Factory RTS option you just mean the same channel that all 955/957's have right? I'm only being particular since there are so many ways to mount factory bars (the cross bars we are discussing mounted in the channels (roof transport system), the rails mounted over the length of the channels, the factory cross bars for the rails only)

Do you have the Sonic L or XL? Based on Pete's pictures the Sonic XL at 90" Long should fit acceptably. Would love a pic when you get a chance.

I'm in the same boat, Baby, 60lb lab and a 1000 mile trip at least 4x in the next 6 months.
Yes, that is correct. I will take a picture of the setup when I get the car back from having new Contis installed. Hopefully, later today. I bought the Thule Sonic M from Autoanything. It was $439 with free shipping on sale in December. The quality is much better than Yakima. Honestly, I wouldn't really want to go much bigger because of clearance issues with the rear hatch and overall aethetics. While it's only 13 cubic feet, it holds a heck of a lot.

I would actually like to get (or fab) a flush mount to use the t-tracks on the RTS system and avoid the clamps altogether. The clamps are very solid, but I'm not particular to the look. I am not sure that these are available. Anyone know?

Cheers,
TomF
Old 05-04-2016, 12:04 PM
nychase
Instructor

Good to know...I also am going to have some conti's put on the GTS wheels.

I believe thats what wrinkled pants was talking about with the xadapt10 kit. Its to flush mount the box.

My question is, when you flush mount do you just leave the t-bolts on the bars quasi-permanently since otherwise you have to center them each time and put the strips back in for the wind noise (or I guess the cut-to-size strips would act as a sizer each time)?
Old 06-22-2016, 12:56 AM
nychase
Instructor

Just to follow-up on this.

Today I finally fit the Roof Transport System bars and a Thule Force XL 17 cu/ft. It all went great. The Roof transport bars are annoying until you understand that they only clamp easily at the notches and then its a 2 second install. The box just needs to be put on the bars and then you just need to finesse the clamps over the bars. Like everyone else says its a tight fit to get around them but it works without too much trouble.

Since the Transport bars are made by Thule I just ordered matching lock cores for the two locks on the box once I knew the lock codes on the bars. Worked perfectly, just make sure you buy a lock core removal key too!

I didn't even attempt to open the pano roof...those clamps come further down then you would imagine and I don't want to risk it.

Here are two pics for future reference for anyone else.

Old 06-28-2016, 04:18 PM
nychase
Instructor

So, since I have now driven 1k miles with the box on I can say that my highway mpg averaged 15.9. Thats pretty gross since without the box I'm up around 18.5 at mid 70's driving.

Also, keeping the transport bars on (since I didn't think it looked so bad) was a non starter since I couldn't open the Pano without 10 billion gallons of air diverting in. Sounded like I was doing 100 with the windows open if I was doing 30mph with the pano only open.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:45 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's exactly why I don't really use a box anymore, at least not with the Cayenne. The roof is too short. You really need to keep the nose of the box inline with the rake of the windshield to avoid some of the mpg penalty. You've already got tall bars, and then sticking the box forward into what is usually clean air is going to be a lot of drag at hwy speeds. But, moving it back and you can't get the hatch open. Reduce the height with different bars and you can't get the pano roof open.

Quick Reply: cayenne roof box