Sponsored by:

cayenne roof box

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 03:46 PM
lunosapien
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up cayenne roof box

I am looking for info on roof boxes for travelling with two small kids....need extra space for stuff....

Any pics of cayennes with roof boxes mounted....all I have come across are the porsche website pics......

please post your pictures

thanks....
Old 03-01-2007, 04:51 PM
Triple B
1st Gear

I do not think it is legal to put your kids up there......
Old 03-05-2007, 02:02 PM
peachboy
Racer

...might be illegal but well worth the piece of mind. It IS cruel to do it when it's colder than Minus 20 F.

Sorry not to have a picture for you, took the box off in Janauary when there was no snow to be found...Murphy's law, started snowing the week after. I did take a ski trip and was very happy about how much stuff you can put in there in additions to skis.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:38 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How young are the kids? I have a pretty good sized Thule box and I would say that after kid turns about 3 or 4, you can only fit one comfortably in the box. Two two year-olds could loosely fit and I would say that you could get about 4-6 babies in there, depending on age.

Keep in mind that you might have to put some blankets in there with them at this time of year and that will take up some room as well, so factor this into your calculations.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:44 PM
lunosapien
AutoX

Default haha ...very funny...

I must say that u all have a good sense of humor...rare to find that in abundance now a days....

still looking for pictures though......
Old 03-06-2007, 12:24 AM
gjb
Addict
Rennlist Member

Luno,

Here are some pics of an early configuration I have - a Yakima Platinum Pro 16 on bars. I have since moved to OEM bars and a RocketBox w/Porsche OEM 4 ski carrier.

Why? Because I can offload the skis/boards to the ski carrier and utilize all of the rocket box for stowage. With the PlatinumPro, it is wide enough another accessory such as a ski carrier does not fit given bar locations, box opening cleareances, etc.

We too, travel w/2 small kids, clothes, gear bags, skis/boards and an occassional cello and 2 gerbils. The ski carrier and rocket box give us maximum coverage, including the foldable step ladder to take off the box when it does not fit into chalet garages

Hit me with any questions you may have.

Grant
Attached Images   
Old 12-11-2007, 12:44 AM
Jason Butler
5th Gear

I too have the OEM bars and would like to use a Thule or Yakima box but their hardware won't fit around the OEM bars' width. How did you make it work? I'm currently under the impression that you have to buy aftermarket bars to use an aftermarket box, or must go OEM all the way.

Thanks,

Jason

2005 Cayenne S
1985 928 S (Euro)
Old 12-11-2007, 12:52 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lunosapien
I am looking for info on roof boxes for travelling with two small kids....need extra space for stuff.... Any pics of cayennes with roof boxes mounted....all I have come across are the porsche website pics......
please post your pictures thanks....
I'd put the kids in the U-Haul not as cramped.. The cross-bars fit both the MDX and the Tit.S, and the roof box is a Thule 1800. It is correct that most Thule boxes will NOT fit the factory cross-bars.. you have to have the set-up as shown although Thule is now got a vise type set-up that may work with the bigger factory cross-bar.. take it to a Thule dealer and see if they'll fit the alpha/beta style if that's what you have.
Attached Images  
Old 12-11-2007, 10:55 AM
gjb
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jason,

I'm up between Boulder and Longmont if you're ever in the area to check it out. The rig is at DIA until thursday afternoon with the box on it if you're out there before then.

Let me know,
Grant
Old 12-12-2007, 09:40 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gjb
...............We too, travel w/2 small kids, clothes, gear bags, skis/boards and an occassional cello and 2 gerbils. The ski carrier and rocket box give us maximum coverage, including the foldable step ladder to take off the box when it does not fit into chalet garages Hit me with any questions you may have. Grant
Okay... wow, this has too much potential...

As you may know, we had another Beta or Alpha owner who had questions and bought a Cayenne after getting dimensions to see if his cello would fit in the back... you aren't he are you? He never mentioned gerbils.

Hit you with questions you said.. I know you meant for lunosapien to ask them... but I hope I can still ask them.. you kind of opened the door so I'll walk through.... .. I have several! ....obvious question is why do you have two gerbils? Are you originally from SFO with Alex911?.... but I digress, I really want to ask questions about how and why do they travel with you? Do they pack suitcases? Do you have a little perch where they can see out the windows? When you check into the hotel, do they sleep in twins or are they a couple? Lastly, when out of whatever confines they may be in. What are their thoughts on the cowboy seat buckle?

Last edited by MadFox; 12-12-2007 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:17 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MadFox
Okay... wow, this has too much potential...

As you may know, we had another Beta or Alpha owner who had questions and bought a Cayenne after getting dimensions to see if his cello would fit in the back... you aren't he are you? He never mentioned gerbils.
Hmmn, cello and 2 gerbils......I'd like to select Richard Gere for $400 Alex....
Old 12-12-2007, 11:26 AM
Jason Butler
5th Gear

Originally Posted by gjb
Jason,

I'm up between Boulder and Longmont if you're ever in the area to check it out. The rig is at DIA until thursday afternoon with the box on it if you're out there before then.

Let me know,
Grant
I could make a trip up there this afternoon or tomorrow. Where is it parked? The reason that I'm asking about this in the public forum is I can forsee people wanting to use the OEM load bars with an aftermarket box; Porsche isn't making it easy. Before I go out and spend another $200 for aftermarket bars, I'd like to know that I made my best decision.

Thanks,

Jason
Old 12-12-2007, 12:10 PM
gjb
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jason,

Check your im.

Grant

Last edited by gjb; 12-12-2007 at 12:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-12-2007, 02:08 PM
leek
Rennlist Member

I used the porsche cross bars (I have Pano Roof) and loaded Yakima Box on to it. The standard Yakima U bolts barely swallowed the Porsche cross bars and I had to drill several new holes in the box to accomadate the exact spacing that is required between the cross bars so that they fit in the loading slots in the roof rail. It is still tough to load the box by myself even using a rope pulley sytem suspended from the garage ceiling.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:16 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Hmmn, cello and 2 gerbils......I'd like to select Richard Gere for $400 Alex....
Alex read the above and got a heart attack*.

How dare you drag Richard Gere into this? Don't you know that he's a rapidly aging god?!

*http://news.bostonherald.com/track/s...icleid=1050204

Quick Reply: cayenne roof box