Sponsored by:

Reverse Camera

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 08:34 PM
Idocdes
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Reverse Camera

As I understand it, the 2008 is equipped with a reverse camera. Anyone have this option on a pre-2008?

I recently picked up a 2006 Cayenne S Titanium. She has the navi, with an AV button. I find it hard to believe that the vehicle is not pre-wired for the option. Also, is this something that can be added after market? I would much prefer to have a camera linked into my navi screen; apposed to an after market that requires an additional screen(Costco approx $90)

I've only had my Cayenne a few weeks, but already would appreciate the enhanced visibilty the camera would give.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:44 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Idocdes
I find it hard to believe that the vehicle is not pre-wired for the option. .
It's like with the phone, sounds like. To have Porsche install it will cost $$$$$$. I don't think I've heard of one come with the phone wired in.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:10 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I find it hard to believe that the vehicle is not pre-wired for the option.
Believe it.
Can you say "VIN specific wiring harness"?
Only put as much wire/connector into the vehicle to support the configured options at time of order....saves money.......and BTW, if you ever need another wiring harness, expect to wait 12+ weeks for one to be made against the VIN/options info at PAG's supplier.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:38 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by ChipAZ
It's like with the phone, sounds like. To have Porsche install it will cost $$$$$$. I don't think I've heard of one come with the phone wired in.
Chip,

My 2006 Cayenne Turbo has the phone installed (and working!) AND my vehicle has the reversing camera installed as well. I actually like the reversing camera. It makes backing up to my trailer very easy. And yes, I do have the Porsche towing package installed and it works just fine with my non-Prodigy brake controller. And since I went low-tech on my trailer lights, no LED's, no Cayenne light problems!

(Sorry Larry, I couldn't resist !

Toby
The following users liked this post:
f266 (11-29-2019)
Old 02-26-2007, 09:51 PM
red911c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the rear camera option and I like it so far. However, I haven't figured out how to turn the default setting to "OFF" so that it only comes on when I want it to come on. When the camera is "ON" such as when you back out of the garage and let the Pepper idle for a minute to warm up, you can't change the radio stations without first turning the camera off. Minor pet peeve and it's probably user error so if someone has the secret behind setting the camera to manual, I'm all ears.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:54 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
(Sorry Larry, I couldn't resist !
Toby
Old 02-26-2007, 09:55 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

As I understand it, the 2008 is equipped with a reverse camera. Anyone have this option on a pre-2008?

I recently picked up a 2006 Cayenne S Titanium. She has the navi, with an AV button. I find it hard to believe that the vehicle is not pre-wired for the option. Also, is this something that can be added after market? I would much prefer to have a camera linked into my navi screen; apposed to an after market that requires an additional screen(Costco approx $90)

I've only had my Cayenne a few weeks, but already would appreciate the enhanced visibilty the camera would give.
I don't know how to paste the link but if you search under "camera" and the name the thread is "Turbo S Rear Glass latch area Looks Different from CS & CT??" you will find the answer you do not want to hear

I think it will cost even more than $1680 if you do it the Porsche OE way now. Don't know if it's possible to add an aftermarket camera to the factory unit. I wouldn't messed with it because if something goes wrong with it, it will not be under warranty and to my understanding, that headunit is mega bucks, something like $3k+
Old 02-27-2007, 07:28 AM
Idocdes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Believe it.
Can you say "VIN specific wiring harness"?
Only put as much wire/connector into the vehicle to support the configured options at time of order....saves money.......and BTW, if you ever need another wiring harness, expect to wait 12+ weeks for one to be made against the VIN/options info at PAG's supplier.
Wow, that's crazy logic, makes it impossible for purchaser to add at time of purchase... Bummer
Old 02-27-2007, 08:46 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ChipAZ
I don't think I've heard of one come with the phone wired in.

A fact that is so puzzling, as the option is one of the cheapest option on the list! People pay for the Porsche logo on the seats, but not for a functional option. It is easily the biggest thing missing from my CTT.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:14 AM
sigs
Racer

Originally Posted by yetis
A fact that is so puzzling, as the option is one of the cheapest option on the list! People pay for the Porsche logo on the seats, but not for a functional option. It is easily the biggest thing missing from my CTT.
Actually, not too puzzling when you hear that, when many of us tried to order it, we were either faced with a ridiculous price to actually put a phone of PAG's selection in the car (the factory option price is only for "phone prep") or, as I was, were simply told that that option "is not available at the current time." That was 2 years ago for me, so I don't know what the situation is now. Maybe it's improved, yet buyers assume they will just us their bluetooth carkits????
Old 02-27-2007, 08:50 PM
UtterNirvana
Track Day

Originally Posted by red911c2
I've got the rear camera option and I like it so far. However, I haven't figured out how to turn the default setting to "OFF" so that it only comes on when I want it to come on. When the camera is "ON" such as when you back out of the garage and let the Pepper idle for a minute to warm up, you can't change the radio stations without first turning the camera off. Minor pet peeve and it's probably user error so if someone has the secret behind setting the camera to manual, I'm all ears.
The only remedy I know to turn off the camera is to click the "main" button on the PCM. That will switch the screen operation and activate the actuators to close the camera.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:23 PM
jodyodom
5th Gear

I have a 2006 Cayenne Turbo with phone (never used it), NAVI, and the telescoping pop out door rear camera built into the rear hatch door. It is roughly $1300- $1700 to replace this part new.
Part # 95564529000. I very recently had an issue where the camera still worked but the telescoping door gradually stopped working even after a large dose of WD40 ... I live at the beach. Finding a used replacement is nearly impossible. After two attempts this week, my local euro mechanic called me this morning to say they totally dismantled the telescoping motor, cleaned it, and have it working again. I suspect this issue will occur in the future since I live at the beach ... salty air. I hope this helps anyone with the same part # and similar issue.

Best,

J
Old 04-13-2016, 01:54 PM
morrisdl
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I cant imagine the profit someone is making on that part!! No wonder these cars cost so much. Are they made from Titanium or something?
Old 11-26-2019, 10:28 AM
jodyodom
5th Gear

Have a 2006 Turbo with the camera that has a door that pops out of the rear gate. The motor is now bad and the replacement camera pop up motor is $1500.

Quick Reply: Reverse Camera