Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you want an exilarating, adrenaline pumping experience in your Cayenne........

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007 | 07:08 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Default If you want an exilarating, adrenaline pumping experience in your Cayenne........

no it's not what your are all thinking

all you have to do is drive with the summer michelins on 1/2" of snow on top of icy roads.

It happened to me today, obviously not planned. I thought I was in a rally course, slipping and sliding everywhere with little to no traction at all!

My pirelli scorpion are being mounted on wednesday, I am not looking forward to any snow between now and then......
Old 01-28-2007 | 08:05 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

VERY exciting! You will love the pirellis!
Old 01-28-2007 | 08:18 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pdxjim
VERY exciting! You will love the pirellis!
I can't wait. There is only so much excitement I can take..........
Old 01-28-2007 | 09:22 PM
magwheel
Instructor

Talking NEWS FLASH!!!

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
no it's not what your are all thinking

all you have to do is drive with the summer michelins on 1/2" of snow on top of icy roads.

It happened to me today, obviously not planned. I thought I was in a rally course, slipping and sliding everywhere with little to no traction at all!

My pirelli scorpion are being mounted on wednesday, I am not looking forward to any snow between now and then......
Hey BostonDMD, This is really funny.... I was going to start a new thread with the title 'News Flash' and it was in regard to the Michelins on my CTTS! But because you began a new thread on the subject, I won't try and steal your thunder.

The Michelin tires on the CTTS absolutely suck in the snow. I had the same conditions as you but maybe a hair worse. Traction is decent but not great. Stopping is unquestionably a nightmare! It's like walking on solid ice with leather soled dress shoes. I swear... I was pushing the brake pedal so hard, it felt like my foot was in front of the radiator. The ABSs were pumping their brains out and I was sliding on the road like Pete Rose into second base!

The only chance you have with these tires is to do practice runs to determine the stopping distance on ice and snow and memorize it in your head. Then when it snows or ices up, reapply that distance factor and begin your stop a 1/2 mile in advance!

I'm lucky though, from now on in nasty weather (snow and ice), I'll be wheeling around in the Toyota FJ. I took it up to Cleveland last week on snow covered roads and even in a few whiteouts, she handled like a dream. Traction was excellent and stopping power, even without ABS, was also fantastic!

I hope the Pirelli Scorpions work better for you than the Michelins did. Mags
Old 01-28-2007 | 09:40 PM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by magwheel
Hey BostonDMD, This is really funny.... I was going to start a new thread with the title 'News Flash' and it was in regard to the Michelins on my CTTS! But because you began a new thread on the subject, I won't try and steal your thunder.

The Michelin tires on the CTTS absolutely suck in the snow. I had the same conditions as you but maybe a hair worse. Traction is decent but not great. Stopping is unquestionably a nightmare! It's like walking on solid ice with leather soled dress shoes. I swear... I was pushing the brake pedal so hard, it felt like my foot was in front of the radiator. The ABSs were pumping their brains out and I was sliding on the road like Pete Rose into second base!

The only chance you have with these tires is to do practice runs to determine the stopping distance on ice and snow and memorize it in your head. Then when it snows or ices up, reapply that distance factor and begin your stop a 1/2 mile in advance!

I'm lucky though, from now on in nasty weather (snow and ice), I'll be wheeling around in the Toyota FJ. I took it up to Cleveland last week on snow covered roads and even in a few whiteouts, she handled like a dream. Traction was excellent and stopping power, even without ABS, was also fantastic!

The Michelin Diamaris are SUMMER tires. They are not designed for snow and you will wind up in a ditch, or worse, if you attempt to drive through snow with them. I have the Pirelli Scorpions mounted on OEM turbo 18" wheels, but I do not use them anymore! You want to know why--because the Pirellis are noisy as hell and they cause very annoying steering wheel vibration at highway speed (common problems with these tires). The other reason is that I am running 22" wheels now with Toyo Proxes S/Ts and am "living large." These pups are W-speed (168 MPH) rated and they are M+S (mud and snow) rated. That means 2 things: I can haul *** AND I can make it through a Wisconsin blizzard. The hell with the Michelins, get some M+S tires in your Cayenne--this vehicle is a blast in the snow...
Old 01-28-2007 | 09:50 PM
sigs
Racer

Some folks really know how to have fun in their new cars. So, what did your past life flash through your mind, or just all those dollars signs and thoughts of dealing with the insurance adjuster and the body shop?
Rule number 1: nowadays, when they say summer tires, they mean summer tires.
Rule number 2: when you're talking about a 5500# truck, they REALLY mean summer.
Rule number 3: when you're talking about a 5500# truck with a whole lot of torque, they REALLY, REALLY mean summer.

I think you'll like the Pirellis. I've tested mine in a little bit of ice and they did very well, though it wasn't too much of a test. Now I just need to find some easy-to-use chains that will work on my 19" wheels for the real ice storms.

Happy skating, er, motoring!
Old 01-28-2007 | 10:03 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by magwheel
I was pushing the brake pedal so hard, it felt like my foot was in front of the radiator. The ABSs were pumping their brains out and I was sliding on the road like Pete Rose into second base!

Mags, I know exactly what you mean, I was sliding all over with the wife and kids on board!

Not to worry, I had practiced all those moves on the skid pad at Skip Barber, but for some reason the rest of my family didn't have as much fun as I did....

I am sure you tried to make a turn, front wheels turned 45 degrees, and completely miss it because of non-existing traction in the front wheels!

Well, the Michelins are great on dry and warmer conditions, that is probably why they are called Summer tires!

P.S. I see you collect italian beauties (along the german and the american)
Old 01-28-2007 | 10:09 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sigs
Rule number 1: nowadays, when they say summer tires, they mean summer tires.
Rule number 2: when you're talking about a 5500# truck, they REALLY mean summer.
Rule number 3: when you're talking about a 5500# truck with a whole lot of torque, they REALLY, REALLY mean summer.
Rule number 4: read rules number 1-3 again....

I got the point.

I knew they were summer tires, I just didn't expect their performance to be so...thrilling....
Old 01-28-2007 | 10:21 PM
sigs
Racer

I've done the same thing. "Oh, I'll bet I can leave these summer tires on for another couple of weeks," - only to be out on the road somewhere when the freezing rain sets in.

We're glad you and the family are safe, - even if your wife may not be speaking to you!

BTW, I have had no problems with the Pirelli Ice and Snows, unlike some posters. They have less vibration than my summer tires (Pirelli Rossos, though it seems the Michelins are better) and are only slightly noisier, though they don't have many miles on them, yet.
Old 01-28-2007 | 10:23 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Back when Larry was trying to commit suicide and take the Cayenne to the depths of hell with him (or so the story goes), he set off on a trip to his detailer with the (wife's) newly acquired 968 Cab, loaded into the 20' enclosed aluminum car hauler, attached to the Cayenne, equipped with 20" OEM wheels and N spec summer Conti tires, in 2-3" of snow.

The PSM system shut down, apparently abandoning ship in an effort to save itself, perhaps as the rear of the trailer attempted to pass the front of the Cayenne.
Of course, since by this time the headlights and trailer lights would have surely shut down, leaving the "!" as the only vehicle illumination source, it's hard to tell exactly what was going on outside.

Unfortunately, Larry apparently felt that the 968Cab should not go down with the ship, so manual driver control (and lots of manual control of the electric brakes) intervened and the 968Cab made it safely to the detailer.

Yes, summer tires will turn to hockey pucks and proper (snowflake sidewall) winter tires are highly recommended, especially when towing 6K#.
Old 01-28-2007 | 10:31 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

We're glad you and the family are safe
Thank you very much!

even if your wife may not be speaking to you!
How did you know? Did you hear her scream?
Old 01-28-2007 | 10:43 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Back when Larry was trying to commit suicide and take the Cayenne to the depths of hell with him (or so the story goes), he set off on a trip to his detailer with the (wife's) newly acquired 968 Cab, loaded into the 20' enclosed aluminum car hauler, attached to the Cayenne, equipped with 20" OEM wheels and N spec summer Conti tires, in 2-3" of snow.

The PSM system shut down, apparently abandoning ship in an effort to save itself, perhaps as the rear of the trailer attempted to pass the front of the Cayenne.
Of course, since by this time the headlights and trailer lights would have surely shut down, leaving the "!" as the only vehicle illumination source, it's hard to tell exactly what was going on outside.

Unfortunately, Larry apparently felt that the 968Cab should not go down with the ship, so manual driver control (and lots of manual control of the electric brakes) intervened and the 968Cab made it safely to the detailer.

Yes, summer tires will turn to hockey pucks and proper (snowflake sidewall) winter tires are highly recommended, especially when towing 6K#.
Wow, that Larry sure was a cowboy, and a funny one too!

I bet I could have learned alot from his experiences.

Leon, you feel like reading any more stories from Larry's testament, regarding his beloved Cayenne, I will always be willing to listen....
Old 01-29-2007 | 01:38 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

You should have been here the first winter, before anyone at any of the dealers knew that just because its 4 wheel drive did not mean you could drive in snow and icy conditions.

There were many reports of accidents here with some of the funniest descriptions and photo's. Tirerack ran out of 18's very quickly and some dealers were throwing in a second set of 18" wheels for those wearing 20's.

Try telling a newby who has just watched the video of a Cayenne traversing snow drifts why his car could not get out of the driveway or slid into a garage door.

Happy days

One thing good is that its "built like tank" and you will be safer than most of the people who you hit....until the bill comes in.

Quick Reply: If you want an exilarating, adrenaline pumping experience in your Cayenne........