Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

275/45 on 20" Wheels - Who is using them?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 12:32 AM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dell I hate to get technical on you and basically you are right on, but leave a little room for tire growth. Grizz may have been technically incorrect as applies to ABS but your assertion isn't precise either because with any given tire, the higher the speed, the lower the revs per mile, in theory. This is indeed a minor point. Today's tires don't "grow" appreciably with speed. But they do grow.

Bottom line, everyone agrees that OEM is best but the Pepper will not blow with variations.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:46 AM
Grizz
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasnt saying that one size of tire will have variable RPM's, we were comparing two different size tires, which as YOU even stated earlier have different RPM's. I honestly dont know what you have against me, I wasnt trying to be argumentative. Seriously, chill out and quit being such a *****. I am just trying to help him out, I'm not out for the power trip that you obviously are.
How about a truce, I definitely have nothing against you since you are a master of the universe
Old 01-20-2007, 09:19 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Grizz, there you go with the name calling and insults, what a great way to make friends in your "early" days on the board. No wonder guys like you come and go so quickly 'round here. As you presume, it is just the opposite.....I have nothing against you but I do have a problem when you question information that is CORRECT to begin with and then give blanket advice to just put run with whatever tires he has and then change them when they are done. Very easy when YOU are not the one running the tires, the OP is. I at no time told him that his car would blow up or that it wouldn't function properly. What I did state is that a significant change in RD "can" lead to some systems functioning improperly. I tried to explain what "could" happen and you just said GO DRIVE IT, IT WILL BE FINE. So explain to me exactly how you tried to help him out as you claim?

No, I am not a *****. No, I am not out for some power trip. But, yes I am master of the universe.

Time to make sure I am not having any more of my time wasted by you........off to the ignore list for you.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:21 PM
k2kv
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dear HD2pct,

FWIW, lots of folks on this board use a great variety of tires on their pepper, many of which are not EXACTLY within OEM specs. In fact, few of those tires are the exact weight, or exact diameter of OEM (which themselves vary in their specs from brand to brand!), and many owners will tell you that some of these tires regularly outperform the OEM offerings.

While I would never say that it's "perfectly okay" to use rubber that does not have the explicit sanctity of the "N" rating (I enjoy my peaceful life), I think you will find - if you continue to ask around - that no one has ever had any problems stepping a bit "out of the box."

As long as your tires meet the minimum load requirements of the OEM rubber, small differences in size should neither affect the enjoyment of your ride nor your safety. You made a good buy, and you should feel good about it -- really COMFORTABLE, in fact -- despite all the bizarre vitriol that seems to have unfortunately sprung from the ground.

Hey -- It's just a car, man...

As a matter of fact, I almost bought that very set of wheels myself! I did a bit of research, and those Yokos look very appealing indeed, especially at this time of the year. But, I already have a nice set of 20's, and I am beginning to pile up far to many wheelsets in the garage, so I opted out. Also, while researching around I happened to discover another tire that looked even better to me, much better suited to my specific needs, and I just had those installed yesterday.

Some guys get really wrapped up in all the exotic knowledge and experience they've acquired, and sometimes -- in their great zeal -- don't realize they're pouncing all over you, using language which is often more superlative than necessary to make their points, when all they're really trying to do is offer the goodness of some possibly useful advice. Giving good advice is, however, an art unto itself.

But that's another story...

Best of luck with your new wheels and tires!
Old 01-20-2007, 08:13 PM
HD2pct
Pro

K2KV de K9XK

QSL, OM!

Yeah I really like the way those tires and wheels look and can't wait to put them on when the "snow" goes away. I think my only deal is that the tires are the Avid SUV model from Yoko, which I *think* have been discontinued so I can't really find specs. They are brand new and they do look good tread-wise

This was an ebay deal. What I *really* wanted was just the wheels, and in addition the ad said "Factory" tires and I bid before I checked what "factory" really was..

I agree - let's just slap those babies on and turn up the stereo and worry about other things.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:37 PM
k2kv
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well,

There ya go!

You got the sport technos, right?

I was able to find specs for your Avids, though it wasn't easy at all. And I don't have them any more (sorry). But they were well-regarded, and looked like a good all-year tire. In the end, I bought a set of Nokian WR, an all-year tire that excels in snow & ice, yet still runs well in the summer. It's the only all-weather tire I know of that carries the extreme weather symbol.

I've gotten tired of running around on my 18" Pirelli Ice & snow tires, when the weather here on LI hardly dips below 40 these days! And, when it does, I believe my WRs will handle most anything. I'm anxious to try them out in the snow. We'll see how it goes.

Anyhow, enjoy your new tires, my ham friend.

73 de Jeff
Old 01-20-2007, 08:48 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Yeah Jeff it is the Sport Technos. Thanks for info on the Avid SUVs. They look like the "summer" tires I wanted (although I think they may be "cheap"), and the 20s will pimp my ride well enough, I guess. After reading Larry's latest missive about PASM and thinking about other feedback about 20" wheels, I think it might pay to go 45 vs. 40 from a ride standpoint.

I have the normal Conti's on my 18" turbo-look but when they give up the ghost I am going to do snows.

Dave
Old 01-20-2007, 09:38 PM
k2kv
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dave,

After you drive them awhile, you'll forget they're on the vehicle. The 20s are nice and firm and, IMO, help to tighten up an all-weather/all-season tire. Some may find 20s a bit "too tight" with summer-only tires, but I liked 'em with the Contis. My biggest problem is that I don't really prefer to keep summer-only rubber on a 4-wheel drive vehicle of this caliber, as I feel they limit its "all-around" capabilities -- one of the reasons I bought my Pepper in the first place.

Be well, drive safely. Report back on your Avids when you get the chance!
Old 08-29-2013, 03:39 PM
mr2sc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VERY old thread, but just wondering if anyone is still around and happens to have any pics of what 275/45x20 looks on the Cayenne?
BTW, the speedo error concern is moot, as all I've observed (two) read about +7% fast anyway

Quick Reply: 275/45 on 20" Wheels - Who is using them?