Sponsored by:

Towing differences between TT and S ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 05:45 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by skl
... sure I'd love a big diesel rig but it would be used pretty sparingly except for race weekends...and the Cayenne gets driven all the time by our whole family.
My point exactly as to why I would NEVER buy a dedicated tow vehicle.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:20 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 962 Likes on 586 Posts

Dell- I remember you from the GT3 forum- love my Elise, but I do miss the GT3. Who knows, in a few years I could always buy one back!
Old 12-27-2006, 11:13 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tow a 944 in an enclosed 20' steel trailer, about 3,200 + car and gear. My one comment would be that air suspension is a necessity! I towed with a loaner, no air suspension and was not happy at all.

I don't know what towing will do to turbo longevity but I am quite happy with the S.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:37 AM
GM Austin
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you've already made your decision but I would just like to clarify one thing. The "turbo lag" you describe in the TT is not turbo lag. It is a throttle hesitation that afflicts all Cayenne's. The reason for the hesitation is open to debate but it exists without question on all present generation Cayennes.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:40 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Thanks again to all for the input!

The wife and I made a decision. While the dealer offered us a SMOKING deal last night and one that if I was in the market for a TT, then we would have jumnped all over it. It would have been hard to pass had the color been exactly what we have right now as well had a couple options that we have on our base model that wasn't on the TT. Those factors made it really easy to say that for that kind of money it better be EXACTLY what we would have wanted.....and it wasn't.

We passed on this one and didn't like ANY of the **** on the lot which were all they had in an S model. We are going to keep our Pepper for the remainder of the lease and in a year and half we will start shopping once again.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:50 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If I were look into the Magic 8 ball for Cayennes (it's usually always correct), it would say that you will be able to find a 'smokin' deal on a Cayenne just about anytime you want, now or in the future.
The vehicle WILL be overproduced (even when they 'skip' a model year) and WILL depreciate, thus making 'smokin' deals the rule rather than the exception.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:54 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

True but the smokin deal was on BOTH cars. Not only did they offer me a great deal on the TT but they offered me about 6K above market for my trade in just to make the lease payoff work. Still wasn't able to justify it that way.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:23 AM
Chris L.
Pro

Originally Posted by LVDell
My point exactly as to why I would NEVER buy a dedicated tow vehicle.

Now Dell... don't go hurting my feelings. Here I go recently and trade my 05 F150 for a new 06 GMC 2500 Crew Cab Duramax diesel to tow that new ATC trailer I just ordered and I find out I did'nt have to get either!

Oh well, I love them both though the latter won't be here until the end of Feb.

Good luck in your search and way to go in resisting the TT. You are a better man than me in that regard.

By the way, I have no idea why I am even on this forum. Slow day in the OR.

Old 12-28-2006, 10:35 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Oh man you have no idea, resisting the TT was VERY VERY VERY hard. You should have seen the look on the face of the sales manager when I said that the TT was a bit excessive for my needs. He looks at me and starting laughing as he said "this coming from a guy who drives a yellow GT3?"

By the way, once you come to the Cayenne forum you can never leave. Just don't drinkn the Kool-Aid while visiting. It has been known to have some people committed to the asylum

Slow day for me as well. I have been working on my track schedule for 2007

Back to work Chris!
Old 12-28-2006, 11:17 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,230 Likes on 1,329 Posts

Originally Posted by GM Austin
Sounds like you've already made your decision but I would just like to clarify one thing. The "turbo lag" you describe in the TT is not turbo lag. It is a throttle hesitation that afflicts all Cayenne's. The reason for the hesitation is open to debate but it exists without question on all present generation Cayennes.
I would disagree. My CT has an ever so slight turbo lag on initial start up. The turbos need to spool up and it is there however so slight. The hesitation is another issue and it only occurs when transitioning while slowing and then jumping on the gas too hard too fast. I found a slight application to the pedal in these cases eliminates the problem and gets you moving faster than if you try to mash it.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:46 AM
GM Austin
Pro

Sure, I'll buy into the "ever so slight" description you just gave for turbo lag. But, I doubt that is the hesitation LVDell is referring to. I think the normal reaction to the throttle hesitation issue in the Cayenne TT is to blame it on turbo lag, but the Cayenne S has exactly the same problem.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:08 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GM Austin
Sure, I'll buy into the "ever so slight" description you just gave for turbo lag. But, I doubt that is the hesitation LVDell is referring to. I think the normal reaction to the throttle hesitation issue in the Cayenne TT is to blame it on turbo lag, but the Cayenne S has exactly the same problem.
There is definitely an Egas issue that I have not experienced in other Porsche's, but then again I think part of the issue is Tiptronic related. I have found the 996 tips I have driven do respond better and I am not 100% convinced the issue is not a combination of the egas and tranny program. However, my CT only suffers from a slight lag as the turbo builds boost off the line. The egas issue only arises when decelerating and then attempting to accelerate in a short transition and it is more pronounced when making a turn, kind of like a stutter. This is why I think it might be a combination of issues. Otherwise it still reacts better than most American automatic cars I have driven.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:56 PM
Rider1
Advanced

Originally Posted by cobalt
The egas issue only arises when decelerating and then attempting to accelerate in a short transition and it is more pronounced when making a turn, kind of like a stutter. This is why I think it might be a combination of issues. Otherwise it still reacts better than most American automatic cars I have driven.
Why put up with these negative issues...both safety and greatly diminished fun factor ... in a very expensive vehicle?

I don't know if u consider an ML63 an "American automatic car" but it's 7 speed automatic trans. makes the ML63 a real joy to drive, either in auto mode or manual. Maybe the 2008 Cayenne's trans./engine relationship will be a huge improvement but I doubt it with the PCNA and PAG mindset

Test drive the ML63 and you'll be amazed at the huge improvement from the CTT. I did and bought one on the spot. But I'll be looking at the next gen. of CTT's when I think they come out in 2009 or so....

Dave
Old 12-28-2006, 04:22 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rider1
Why put up with these negative issues...both safety and greatly diminished fun factor ... in a very expensive vehicle?

I don't know if u consider an ML63 an "American automatic car" but it's 7 speed automatic trans. makes the ML63 a real joy to drive, either in auto mode or manual. Maybe the 2008 Cayenne's trans./engine relationship will be a huge improvement but I doubt it with the PCNA and PAG mindset

Test drive the ML63 and you'll be amazed at the huge improvement from the CTT. I did and bought one on the spot. But I'll be looking at the next gen. of CTT's when I think they come out in 2009 or so....

Dave
In the overall package these issues are minor and the rest of the CT makes up for a few minor shortcomings. I have not driven an ML63 but my sister has an ML500 and it is not for me, she also has constant mechanical problems with it along with my mothers E500, both are in the shop regularly.

However, I do hear the ML63 is a big improvement in both performance and handling over the 500 but I enjoy the exclusivity of the CT and around NYC it appears the market is hot on ML63's, I see at least one a day. Besides I am not ready to take the depreciation quite yet. I will wait and see where things lead. Meanwhile I need to replace my Pick up and can't find a suitable one worth throwing money at and I don't need the behemoth ltc suggests.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:49 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
....Meanwhile I need to replace my Pick up and can't find a suitable one worth throwing money at and I don't need the behemoth ltc suggests.
Behemoth? OK, so the *** is a bit wide....but there is something to be said for driving a tow vehicle that can tow a Cayenne, a trailer and a track car + 4 people.
Simply a matter of having the right tool for the job.
I was lucky. I already had the Excursion in the garage....a simple stop at www.tiffanys.com and voila!.....keys to the bride's Excursion.
Life is good sometimes.

Quick Reply: Towing differences between TT and S ???