Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Dipped Beam Can be SERIOUS

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 01:50 AM
Fabianrou
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bought an '04 Cayenne last week and today I finally got around installing an after market HID kit 8000K. I thought everything had gone well until I tried it and sure enough "Dipped Beam" message. I have no clue how to get rid of this. I must admit I did goof up royally the first time around when both of them didn't work. I had crossed on both sides the wires thinking the brown from the car was the power and the black the ground so I connected the RED form the HID bulb to the brown. Anyhow, only one light at the time comes on sometimes both, no pattern. I'm going knucking Futs! Help!! 813.770.5555
Old 09-25-2011, 02:02 AM
a17322a
Track Day

What brand aftermarket HID setup did you get? I assume you have a cayenne S like me that had the halogens to begin with. I bought the raptor 35w Kit from ddmtuning and it works fine. I only get the ! check dipped beams when i turn off the headlights. Otherwise it works fine.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:49 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The P!g has an integrated on board bulb diagnostics system, so with the halogens replaced, you will see a "!" since the observed load is now out of design tolerance
(this is the same as LED brake light replacement). There is little to nothing that can be done short of istalling a small resistive load to trick the circuit into seeing the expected load.

However, apart from being annoying, "!" doesn't cause any damage or CEL
Old 10-21-2011, 07:18 PM
bluenose356
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the exact same issue for a long time now on my 2004. One headlight working intermittently, off at times, check dipped beam warnings etc. What I found was the electrical connector box behind the headlight had come loose. To get to it I had to remove the headlight using the usual process then the air filter assembly from the back. I disconnected the junction box, cleaned them up, re-attached then put everything back together. It's been a few months with no reoccurance. Be sure to check none of the prongs are bent and receptacles are in good shape as well. No guarantees but it worked for me.
The following users liked this post:
lkraav (08-01-2022)
Old 10-22-2011, 09:25 AM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this problem with my 06S but it was the OEM system. I changed out one of the wire pigtails and problem solved.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:49 AM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

The headlights are a common issue on these cars -- unfortunately it has many causes. From simple failed bulbs and misaligned connections to controllers/ ballasts and switches. Also -- be careful when you R&R the headlight assembly .....mine were removed enough times that they would no longer "click" in tight enough.

I had so many problems with mine that I finally said "enough". Porsche replaced every component for the headlights from the switch on out ---- never another problem.
Old 07-31-2022, 07:16 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 108 Posts

Been reading this thread since 2006, waiting for an answer, but ... In Porsche Cayenne lingo ...

Is "dipped beam" EXACTLY the same thing that the rest of the universe calls a "low beam headlight"?

Does it have anything at all to do with active level control of a headlight, compensating for the Coriolis force, space-time warping due to general relativity, or anything needlessly complicated like that, or is it just an effin' headlight?

Whenever Porsche refers to a dipped beam, if I infer it to be talking about my headlight (low beam of course, otherwise I'd of course call it a high beam), will I be correct?

I did the google on the intertubes first, but the varying answers seem as confused as I am about what Porsche has done here. I'm sure some of them are correct.

Thanks!
Old 08-01-2022, 03:51 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts

Dipped as in not straight.

dip
5 : to incline downward from the plane of the horizon
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dip

Germans are known for their rather literal translations at times. No conspiracy theories involved.
Old 08-01-2022, 04:51 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by slavie
Dipped as in not straight.

dip
5 : to incline downward from the plane of the horizon
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dip

Germans are known for their rather literal translations at times. No conspiracy theories involved.
Thanks for replying, but I still don't know. Please, just give a yes / no / something else to this:
Is "dipped beam" EXACTLY the same thing that the rest of the universe calls a "low beam headlight"?
Old 08-01-2022, 05:49 PM
957austin
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

yes dipped beam is what Porsche calls the low beam lights. I would guess that they call it dipped due to the cutoff as opposed to high beams which do not have a cutoff and scatter light everywhere.

Quick Reply: Check Dipped Beam Can be SERIOUS