Check Dipped Beam Can be SERIOUS

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 08:19 PM
diplomat
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Check Dipped Beam Can be SERIOUS

Hello,
Well I have been one of the lucky ones that have had the check dipped beam message off and on for the last year of ownership. Most of the times it would shut off one headlight for a few seconds and then it would come back on. Every time i brought it to the dealer they believed me the car had thrown the error code but because it was not brought in with the code it was harder to diagnose.
Well last night, on a windy poorly lit road it happened..............both of my headlights (xenon) went off at once, I hit the brakes and quickly turned on my fog lights and parked the car (you have no idea of teh feeling when you cant see where you are going...). I shut the car off and turned it back on, and was on my way, 2 minutes later the same thing happened...but thank god they came back on and i was able to drive home safely, funny thing they stopped working when i pulled into my garage.
I bring it to the dealer today thinking the damn code would not come on before i get there, but lucky me it did and upon arrival i requested a mechanic come out and look at the car with the car still on and the code showing....well they diagnosed it as a bad headlight switch, it was too late to order the part today so thye will get it wednesday and i will get my car back then.
I will let you know of the progress and if it fixed my issue.
I am glad to be alive ,
Julien
The following users liked this post:
lkraav (08-19-2022)
Old 12-18-2006, 08:30 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think I'm beginning to have a flashback.
Why was I expecting him to use the words "Maglite" and "racer's tape"?

The solution to your problem is simple, I'm sure your dealer and PCNA will straighten things out.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:31 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

P.S. If you think "Check Dipped Beam" can be serious, give "!" "Check Trailer Lights" a try sometime.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:16 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

checked dipped beam can mean alot of things

1 bulb out
2 headlight not locked in/tray broken
3. veh electroni conrol unit
4. bad pigtail
Old 12-21-2006, 09:13 AM
diplomat
Intermediate

UPDATE,
after in the shop for 2 days, they replaced the headlight switch.......I picked it up last night and on the way home..................wait for it.......................yup the left headlight this time turned off. I made a U turn and right back at the dealership, and for once they had the service manger, my advisor and the master tech witnessed the turning off of a headlight on its own....the saga continues, we shall see what they say today....

ps also something new started happening with my right headlight. When turned on the lights would of course go down to then adjust upwards, but this time once they stabilized for a second the right heaadlight would just start to dip and keep dipping downwards like it had a lazy eye............I am so lost
Old 12-21-2006, 06:57 PM
golfguy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had the same "dipped beam" message with a dead headlight. the dealer replaced the electronic control unit under warranty.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:35 PM
diplomat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by diplomat
UPDATE,
after in the shop for 2 days, they replaced the headlight switch.......I picked it up last night and on the way home..................wait for it.......................yup the left headlight this time turned off. I made a U turn and right back at the dealership, and for once they had the service manger, my advisor and the master tech witnessed the turning off of a headlight on its own....the saga continues, we shall see what they say today....

ps also something new started happening with my right headlight. When turned on the lights would of course go down to then adjust upwards, but this time once they stabilized for a second the right heaadlight would just start to dip and keep dipping downwards like it had a lazy eye............I am so lost
Update: Dealer replaced xenon bulb, picked it up and after 48 hours, my headlights again turned off, both of them.............called roadside assistance.......dealer apologized..............need to bring it back in....so much for driving safely at night ............letter has been sent to PCNA in atlanta...will keep you up with the details.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:36 PM
porschista
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats the rest of the story? thx, E
Old 01-24-2007, 09:52 AM
diplomat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by porschista
Whats the rest of the story? thx, E
PCNA called my dealership to verify all of my information. Everything checked out and they asked me to bring the car to the dealer on tuesday the 23. (yesterday)
PCNAs action plan as they told me was:
1. swap all of the headlight components from a new cayenne to mine and see if it works. If that does not work
2. they would buy back the car.

I got a call from my dealer this morning, they found what was causing the issues. There is a rubber type band on the back of the headlight that was too thick and would cause a short when the lights heated up or when I hit bumps and such, so they ordered a new rubber part and we shall see what happens after that. I guess they used trial and error to fix this. I will let you know more once i get my car back tomorrow.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:55 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Julien what year is your Cayenne?
Old 01-24-2007, 11:03 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cab&coupe
Julien what year is your Cayenne?
Please be an alpha/beta!! Just to keep the "record" of the early variants "on track"!
Old 01-24-2007, 12:36 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

.....2. they would buy back the car.
I dont' suppose you asked them how much they were willing to offer you as part of this buyback.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:56 PM
diplomat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MadFox
Please be an alpha/beta!! Just to keep the "record" of the early variants "on track"!
lol, sorry fellas it is an 05!!!
Old 01-24-2007, 01:57 PM
diplomat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ltc
I dont' suppose you asked them how much they were willing to offer you as part of this buyback.
Id rather they fix the car then buy back, I really enjoy the CS......we shall see what ends up happening, I will keep you all in the loop.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:15 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Id rather they fix the car then buy back, I really enjoy the CS......we shall see what ends up happening, I will keep you all in the loop.
Trust me, I'm pretty sure you'd want them to fix it as opposed to their likely 'valuation based buyback amount'......or at least that's what people who have actually been 'in the loop' would think.

Quick Reply: Check Dipped Beam Can be SERIOUS