Sponsored by:

Pencil Coil Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 10:28 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Pencil Coil Replacement

My wife and I had all ready complained about the fact that under slight acceleration that it would start lurching. Weve been into the dealer 4 times.
I have even told them to check the coils and they basically told us that my wife and I are not mechanics and reading between the lines that they don't like being told what to do.

They tell us that there wasn't a problem they didn't even check. All the do it reset the computer the controls the gear changes and even had it replaced.
So a few weeks later the engine started shaking badly at idle. We bring it in again and now they fix 1 pencil coil. They did at least use the new part number 948-602-104-01.
Now how many others have had the same problem had all 8 coils replaced?

I am feeling kinda pissed at their service. Though still under warrenty but with only 12k left under warrenty. I feel like them not replacing all 8 and leaving those defective 948-602-104-00 coils in and that I will be left playing for it to be fixed later. I am quite sure that they only looked at the 1 coil and didn't even look to at the others.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:37 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you are seeing the change in policy from Atlanta. They used to change all 8 but now they limit it to the bad one. From what I understand 1 and 5 can cause the whole of that bank to go off. I had all 8 replaced and then 2 more went each causing the same result (8 - 4 = 4 working cylinders)

Porsche do not care, OR they do not explain themselves very well. Who would have thought that 1 acts as a "fuse" on each side.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:31 PM
tetongolf
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a very bad miss about a month ago. I did my research on the forum, becuase I was sure at least 1 coil was abd. I spoke with the service manager several times, and he told me the policy with Porsche had changed, and they could only replace the coils that had a visible crack. You'll read on this forum that a lot of people got 8 new coils and 8 plugs. I pleaded my case to try to get 8 coils and plugs, especially because I have to drive 300 miles to the dealer. Anyway, as it turns out, all 8 coils were cracked, so all 8 were replaced, but they said the plugs were fine.

The service manager said they actually have to send all coils back to Porsche and there has to be a very noticeable crack for them to get reimbursed.

Good Luck!

Michael
04 CTT
Old 12-14-2006, 06:08 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Oh well that explains it, at least I feel better knowing that everyone else will get screwed on this as well. Misery loves company.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:24 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tetongolf
The service manager said they actually have to send all coils back to Porsche and there has to be a very noticeable crack for them to get reimbursed.
Good Luck!
Michael
04 CTT
You are correct, sir.
Most all warranty claim material is sent back to PCNA, some pieces are then sent back to PAG.
So that means somewhere there is a pile of about 200,000 rear window microswitches.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:26 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Oh well that explains it, at least I feel better knowing that everyone else will get screwed on this as well. Misery loves company.
Not everyone will get screwed, especially those who grabbed a parachute and jumped.

Now PCNA/PAG is doing this in the 'good' times.....wait until the company is NOT the most profitable car company on the planet.

I've seen the future, it's not pretty......nothing but older Porsches for me, thank you.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:30 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Not everyone. I just had all 8 of my coils replaced. Dealer said that only two were bad, but since they are plastic (insert crappy), they replaced them all!

Slowly figuring out that the happy porsche ownership is more to do with the dealer than the car....

I know I am on borrowed time....

Last edited by yetis; 12-15-2006 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:20 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will say that the local dealer here does not show the same respect towards customers that the Mercedes dealer does, although they are owned by the same company.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:22 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mine are getting older every day...

Old 12-14-2006, 11:24 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JFScheck
Mine are getting older every day...
So that means every day you're one day closer to a Q7 TDI.....or wait a minute, maybe you're really holding out for the Cayenne Hybrid (talk about an electrical system from he!!).
Old 12-15-2006, 09:23 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ltc
So that means every day you're one day closer to a Q7 TDI.....or wait a minute, maybe you're really holding out for the Cayenne Hybrid (talk about an electrical system from he!!).
exactly
Old 12-21-2006, 01:59 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

just an update:

Well the original problem of the lurching while under slight acceleration didn't go away. The violent shaking that they did fix by replacing the 1 coil didn't help. We brought it to an indepenant mechanic for brake pads and an oil change and he noticed the problem and checked the logs and it was throwing misfire codes.
Its still under warrenty so he booked us in the other local Porsche dealer.
Well we get in there and they check and all the 7 other coils have cracks.

What nice work the first dealer did (yah right).
Even given all the infomation and what to check right from the start the first dealer made us come back 4 times and then only replaced 1 coil and left 7 other ones cracked.

Now they are all replaced but I just don't understand what the first dealer was thinking. Second dealer said that is wasn't even safe to drive.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:10 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

I've come to realize that Techs don't like working on Cayennes. I've been told its because they went to school to learn how to wrench on Carreras and sports cars. Working on a truck was something they don't want to do...... Especially a truck that is hard to work on.

I use this analogy: When I was in college, I worked at a car audio/security shop doing installations. I really wanted to be the high-end guy who specialized in exotics and difficult installs......... Well, it sounds good but didn't pay the bills.

The vehicle of choice in the town where I went to college was a Chevy 1500 series pickup. Guess what 80% of my business was? Chevy P/Us.

I quickly checked my pride and figured out how all the short cuts on these trucks and how to make good money in short time. The moral of my rambling: The techs need to quit bitchin' that they don't want to work on a truck and figure they can make better money working on Cayennes. Why? Sheer numbers. For every Carrera at the dealership, I see 5 Cayennes.

Simple math to me.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:37 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

I have to agree that techs don't like the Cayenne. I would also add two points , happy Porsche ownership is highly dependent on the dealer and techs pick their battles.
My tech, who recently changed all coils without issue, knows who I am. He also knows I have owned a 996 and that I have a clue (though he must question the Cayenne purchase). We have been face to face several times regarding the 996, giving him specific things to check for that one could only get from a OBD reader or from a knowledgable source (rennlist/tech). So to Scotts point, if they think they can get away with doing quick job, they will.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:04 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just hope the Albuquerque Dealership gives me good service. It's over 200 miles from my new house to there. If I end up a driving back and forth to deal with issues that they can't or won't fix, it will end my relationship with Porsche in a hurry.

Quick Reply: Pencil Coil Replacement