Sponsored by:

Pencil Coil Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 10:03 PM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default the dealership

makes all the difference, although i think some may be lucky rather than good. not one (of the 3) was able to diagnose the transmission problems (plural), although i think the dallas one came the closest. i think many play the "reset the computer" game, knowing that it drives so crappy in the first k or so after the computer reset that you will not be able to tell if the problem has come back or not for quite a while.

i make my living with computer control systems (specifically, motion control and cnc servo systems). i can tell you that the computer is typically the LAST thing on the troubleshoot tree. not only do computer control systems rarely go down, when they DO go down, they go down hard (open the pod bay doors please, hal). i can also say from experience that techs of any flavor (not just automotive) tend to blame the part they know the least about. transmission not shifting well? must be the effing computer (forget the fact the transmission fluid level has been low twice and required additional fluid).

so, either;

a) they are trying to push you past the end of your warranty by repeated computer resets.

b) porsche computers suck on toast

c) the mechanics don't know or don't care how to fix cayennes

d) all of the above.

personally i go for D.

performance without longevity is fool's gold.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:05 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ah, can't you just feel the love in the air.
Now, THIS is Cayenne ownership.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:07 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by droptop
so, either;
a) they are trying to push you past the end of your warranty by repeated computer resets.
I believe I've said this many times in the past.

...b) porsche computers suck on toast
Porsche doesn't do electronics, they don't do computers, they use VAG electronics.

...c) the mechanics don't know or don't care how to fix cayennes
Only because Porsche provides insufficient time, tools and training....and keep redesigning the vehicle/systems on the fly, producing conflicting H/W and S/W, conflicting PCNA factory/front desk support.

...d) all of the above.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:22 AM
sigs
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if this has been covered, but I've tried to search for this and haven't found it. Do we have an idea of a build date after which the new coil design was used?
Old 12-22-2006, 11:08 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by sigs
Sorry if this has been covered, but I've tried to search for this and haven't found it. Do we have an idea of a build date after which the new coil design was used?
I am not sure but I have a 04. I believe all newer models have the new part number all ready.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:16 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Ah, can't you just feel the love in the air.
Now, THIS is Cayenne ownership.
lol

I wonder, do boxster owners get the same level of service? or do you need to be driving a 911.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:32 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jumper5836
lol
I wonder, do boxster owners get the same level of service? or do you need to be driving a 911.
Techncially, it's all about the badge.
A $20K CPO Boxster owner gets the same service/attention as the new Carrera GT owner......both waiting for the double wide soccer mom with the POS Cayenne to shut the hell up and get out.

Look how well this worked for VW and the Phaeton. Someone plunks down $80K for a Phaeton and is in line, waiting for a service advisor, standing next to a Beetle owner with 1/4-20 bolts thru every appendage and rainbow colored hair.

PAG/PCNA will soon reach this point. Talk to the dealers, ask them what service is looking like now, and in the future.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:28 PM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default well...

seeing how the electronics are migrating to all the cars, the cayenne is the future of porsche.

the lexus gx470 has nearly as many features as the cayenne, although not the performance. oddly enough, it has quite the reputation for reliability. it isn't that you can't make a complex vehicle that can go the distance, it's that you have to want to.

now if lexus would build the LF_X, porsche could use their existing cayenne production to help build reefs.

performance without longevity is fool's gold.

Quick Reply: Pencil Coil Replacement