Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 01:50 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm probably not the best person to give 'Dear Abby' advice on a Cayenne

But, a CaymanS/open trailer configuration, 25hp +/- will mean nothing. You'll still hardly ever be able to use 6th, you'll be driving the TipS in Manual mode, you'll get the same mileage (9-11mpg).

You may be better of getting an 05 or 06 CPO with 6/100K warranty for less money/less MA excise tax/less insurance and using that $$ for track time/lodging/tires/expendables/etc. But, if you like the new styling, then go ahead.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:09 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
I'm probably not the best person to give 'Dear Abby' advice on a Cayenne

But, a CaymanS/open trailer configuration, 25hp +/- will mean nothing. You'll still hardly ever be able to use 6th, you'll be driving the TipS in Manual mode, you'll get the same mileage (9-11mpg).

You may be better of getting an 05 or 06 CPO with 6/100K warranty for less money/less MA excise tax/less insurance and using that $$ for track time/lodging/tires/expendables/etc. But, if you like the new styling, then go ahead.
Thanks Lewis, I have the distinct feeling that you know what you are talking about.
I will definetly look at the CPO Cayenne....
Old 12-13-2006, 02:45 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
The new model will not be 15% off sticker though.......
True BUT you will get 380+ horses vice my current 340ish... That's not too bad and has got to be felt in the ole' "**** in the pants driving"...
Old 12-13-2006, 02:51 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks Lewis, I have the distinct feeling that you know what you are talking about. ....
Remember:
"A one eyed man is a leader in the valley of the blind"

I will definetly look at the CPO Cayenne....
If you must.....
Old 12-13-2006, 04:46 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Remember:
"A one eyed man is a leader in the valley of the blind"

That is an old italian proverb......

Lewis, talk to me, should I just look at the touareg instead?
Old 12-13-2006, 04:48 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JFScheck
True BUT you will get 380+ horses vice my current 340ish... That's not too bad and has got to be felt in the ole' "**** in the pants driving"...
Correct me if I am wrong, the S is only getting 25 extra ponies, therefore 340+25= 365 how did you get 380+?
Old 12-13-2006, 04:57 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Lewis, talk to me, should I just look at the touareg instead?
In a Cayenne forum? Cayenne/Touareg.....what's the difference? 65% common parts, 85% VW assembled.

In general, it has been reported that Porsche service is superior to Volkswagen service (re: the $80K VW Phaeton and its demise).
So, the Cayenne has that going for it.

In general, diesels are preferred for towing (more torque, better mileage/range), Porsche will never have a diesel, the Touareg V10 TDI is back in 2007, so the Touareg has that going for it.

I'll skip styling (very subjective), since one man's Cayenne is another man's pig in a dress.

In general, in towing, wheelbase is king. Since the Touareg and Cayenne are the same vehicle, it's a wash. For an open aluminum trailer, either would be passable.

I eventually came to the conclusion that a dedicated tow vehicle (wife's Excursion diesel), a daily driver (Ford Hybrid Escape AWD) and some toys (996, 968Cab and the 964 Euro Cup) was better than a compromised daily driver/tow vehicle (Cayenne). Granted, ! had some help along the way.

If I were to do it all over again (and I never will), a diesel Touareg or a diesel Q7 would be the most likely candidate for a compromise daily driver/tow vehicle.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:01 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
In a Cayenne forum? Cayenne/Touareg.....what's the difference? 65% common parts, 85% VW assembled.

In general, it has been reported that Porsche service is superior to Volkswagen service (re: the $80K VW Phaeton and its demise).
So, the Cayenne has that going for it.

In general, diesels are preferred for towing (more torque, better mileage/range), Porsche will never have a diesel, the Touareg V10 TDI is back in 2007, so the Touareg has that going for it.

I'll skip styling (very subjective), since one man's Cayenne is another man's pig in a dress.

In general, in towing, wheelbase is king. Since the Touareg and Cayenne are the same vehicle, it's a wash. For an open aluminum trailer, either would be passable.

I eventually came to the conclusion that a dedicated tow vehicle (wife's Excursion diesel), a daily driver (Ford Hybrid Escape AWD) and some toys (996, 968Cab and the 964 Euro Cup) was better than a compromised daily driver/tow vehicle (Cayenne). Granted, ! had some help along the way.

If I were to do it all over again (and I never will), a diesel Touareg or a diesel Q7 would be the most likely candidate for a compromise daily driver/tow vehicle.
Thanks for your honesty
Old 12-13-2006, 05:04 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

You're welcome.
Just my 2 cents......you have change coming.

Quick Reply: Stupid question....