Sponsored by:

PASM adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006 | 03:06 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default PASM adjustment

Something I've been curious about...... Can the dealer adjust the suspension heights through PIWIS?

Meaning, on "Normal" height, can the car be lowered about 20mm for its permanent setting?

Enquiring minds want to know!
Old 11-25-2006 | 03:31 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

cayennes with air suspension can be lowered with a piwis tester, but id bet most dealers would not do it.
Old 11-25-2006 | 05:23 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Brad..... I'll talk with my SA. I think the ride height is too high. About 3/4" to 1" lower on all settings will be good.
Old 11-25-2006 | 08:29 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scott C
Thanks Brad..... I'll talk with my SA. I think the ride height is too high. About 3/4" to 1" lower on all settings will be good.
I agree. I keep my Tit.S at low level (that just sounds wrong!). Loading level looks even better but it bumps up to normal once you take your foot off the brake.. normal looks too high in my opinion with 19" tires. Post what you find out.. Danke!
Old 11-25-2006 | 10:04 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

if your ever near miami you can look me up and i will refer you to someone who can do it
Old 11-25-2006 | 11:16 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Scott- looks like you had someone paint your lower panels. How did that work out? Any problems? It looks great.

I have an '04 S and am considering the same mod.
Dave
Old 11-26-2006 | 12:42 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Dave. Mine is an '05 and, from what I know, Porsche shipped the '05 and later Cayennes w/o the black bottom trim.

Any body shop should be able to do the paint work as long as they use a good etching primer and put flex additives in the paint to absorb rock impacts.

I really like the mono chrome look. Post pics if you do the mod.
Old 11-27-2006 | 10:41 AM
Avia2
Advanced

Default Techart offers...

A lowering control module for the suspension that is essentially plug and play plus and alignment. It's pretty slick!
Old 12-02-2006 | 10:25 PM
mjw930
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Avia2
A lowering control module for the suspension that is essentially plug and play plus and alignment. It's pretty slick!
But why pay $2000 for something that's as simple as changing 4 constants in the ECM....... Smart dealers could make a few $$$$ with this mod.
Old 12-02-2006 | 10:38 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mjw930
But why pay $2000 for something that's as simple as changing 4 constants in the ECM....... Smart dealers could make a few $$$$ with this mod.
I'm fairly certain that PCNA is the reason they won't (offically/publically) do this.
If a 'modified' module was returned to PCNA/PAG for analysis (post replacement under warranty) and found to be 'non compliant', the **** would h!t the fan.

Also, there are other (mechanical) issues involved here, specifically alignment and tire wear. All of the alignment specs provided by PAG are at nominal ride height. Lower the car and those targets will have to change.

On a related topic, PCNA will not warranty non US part (re: RoW parts) installed into a US vehicle. For example, if you owned a 996TT and wanted a dealer to install the RoW X73 suspension (for Euro ride height), they would likely decline, even though they are genuine PAG parts going into a PAG vehicle.
Old 12-03-2006 | 12:08 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

theres no modification the module nothing permanant, all thats required is miscalibraing the suspension.

there other factors involved, alignment and crash testing with the vechile lower or higher then designed

yes sir you are correct no row warrenty parts in the us of a
Old 12-03-2006 | 12:16 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

I believe you can change ride height in a Toureg with VAG-COM, so no reason why you couldn't do it on the Cayenne with the right software knowledge...
Old 12-03-2006 | 02:11 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Originally Posted by skl
I believe you can change ride height in a Toureg with VAG-COM, so no reason why you couldn't do it on the Cayenne with the right software knowledge...

with a piwis or pst2 its not hard to do at all
Old 12-04-2006 | 06:17 PM
mjw930
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ltc
I'm fairly certain that PCNA is the reason they won't (offically/publically) do this.
If a 'modified' module was returned to PCNA/PAG for analysis (post replacement under warranty) and found to be 'non compliant', the **** would h!t the fan.

Also, there are other (mechanical) issues involved here, specifically alignment and tire wear. All of the alignment specs provided by PAG are at nominal ride height. Lower the car and those targets will have to change.

On a related topic, PCNA will not warranty non US part (re: RoW parts) installed into a US vehicle. For example, if you owned a 996TT and wanted a dealer to install the RoW X73 suspension (for Euro ride height), they would likely decline, even though they are genuine PAG parts going into a PAG vehicle.
Of course all those issues are there but the fact remains that there are many people out there who have or will lower their Cayenne notwithstanding the warranty and alignment issues. Dealers around these parts aren't afraid to take customer's money regardless of the consequences. BTW, how hard can it be to re-adjust the alignment at the new height to accommodate the changes..... Hint hint, not that hard if the alignment rack guy knows what he's doing. There's nothing "magical" about the Pepper's specs.

As for dealers installing RoW parts and honoring warranty, it's entirely up to the dealer from my experience. My dealer gave me a price on both the RoW sport suspension parts and installation for my '03 Boxster S and has never questioned anything regarding warranty. Of course I got the parts from someone who bought the kit and decided not to install it and I put it on myself. Even though the dealer knows all this they welcome me with a smile and have never questioned the car's warranty status. Now, I suppose if I wanted to warranty a shock or spring that might be a concern but beyond that there's nothing put at risk with the Porsche RoW parts and PCNA MUST PROVE that the parts installed directly caused the failure or they cannot withhold warranty service.

On another note, one of the Tampa dealers sells, installs and services the REVO line of ECM flash programs. They offer it as part of the PDI along with the RoW side markers. I pity the fool who tries to get an electrical issue resolved on one of those down the road at another dealership.
Old 12-04-2006 | 06:19 PM
mjw930
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
with a piwis or pst2 its not hard to do at all
Except the average hacker doesn't have access to one of those like we do with the VAG-COM.

Quick Reply: PASM adjustment