Sponsored by:

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 10:22 AM
mamoroso
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light

The check engine light came on 2 days. It is not flashing.
It came on at the same time a warning msg for the washer fluid was displayed on the dashboard.
I checked the fuel cap and the oil cap and they are fine.
Did not add the washer fluid (It's my wife's car/weekend family car so I didn't know the CEL was on until last night).
How do I find out what code error it is?

Should I call the dealer and resign myself to a long and painful ($$$) wait?

Any help, insight,is appreciated.

Thank you

PS
I tried the seach funcion but it is not working properly, sorry.

PPS
It is a 2005 Cayenne S
Old 11-13-2006, 10:54 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

2005 is under warrenty isnt in so $$$$$$ = 0
p0300 p0301-p0308 or p0441 most likley
take it in
Old 11-13-2006, 11:20 AM
mamoroso
Racer

firehawk thanks for the prompt reply.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:15 AM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Check engine" light came on yesterday. Was cleared by the dealership and told that no errors came up. Light came on again few hours later. Different dealership cleared it and said "No big deal, this is "p0441 evaporative emission system incorrect purge flow. If it comes up again, take it to a dealer and they'll do more digging". WTF??? :-(.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:42 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Default There is SUCH a variance in quality of service from the NY area dealers.

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
"Check engine" light came on yesterday. Was cleared by the dealership and told that no errors came up. Light came on again few hours later. Different dealership cleared it and said "No big deal, this is "p0441 evaporative emission system incorrect purge flow. If it comes up again, take it to a dealer and they'll do more digging". WTF??? :-(.
There is SUCH a variance in quality of service from the NY area dealers.

I would put Roslyn (LI) and Porsche of Princeton and Storms in the Hamptons on top. The rest, not so much. My terror story comes from Pepe Porsche and South Shore ( admittedly, SS was a sales experience.)
Old 04-26-2007, 12:12 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Tell me about it. That's why I go out of state. But yesterday, I called all 3: Manhattan, Roslyn (that service manager there irritates the s-t out of me, a woman, btw) & Pepe> All three gave me an identical answer - we're all booked til next week. Only after I left a message for general manager at Manhattan I was called back with "bring it in, we'll try to look at the error codes".

And Pepe was the dealership that determined the "p0441" error and said "if it comes up again, need to do more digging". Not to mention that Pepe couldn't diagnose the transfer case.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:20 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Pepe is the worst. My experience with them was just embarrassing for the dealership -- complete and total incompetence. So much so that when I finally gave up and went to Roslyn, they didn't believe me that someone couldn't diagnose the problem, let alone another Porsche dealer. (this was on a 996 and the problem was a crack coil.)

Lanna is fine, once you get to know her, she is great. (must be that woman to woman thing. Nothing like a full head of hair and blue eyes to woo the female service manager . Try talking to Joe. They have been good to me. I PM'ed you Joe's info. The only other option is Princeton, which is just a PITA to get to.

Trending Topics

Old 04-26-2007, 12:31 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Yes, Pepe is the worst. Couldn't agree more. I haven't bothered to check out Lanna in person. If she's good looking I'll forgive her nasty phone attitude and manly voice But at least on 2 separate occasions I've been left speechless with the way she communicates.

Thanks for the info. Since I was told that I can drive "cross country" with the check engine light on the dash, I'm first going to see what MD dealer says this Saturday.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:54 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Yes, Pepe is the worst. Couldn't agree more. I haven't bothered to check out Lanna in person. If she's good looking I'll forgive her nasty phone attitude and manly voice But at least on 2 separate occasions I've been left speechless with the way she communicates.

Thanks for the info. Since I was told that I can drive "cross country" with the check engine light on the dash, I'm first going to see what MD dealer says this Saturday.
Might be worth seeing what a private 'ace' mechanic can find. I spent the day yesterday having the PPI done. The dude let me hang over his shoulder for like 4 hours and showed me exactly what he was looking at and what he was doing. They only do Porsches and Ferraris and they had all the same computer stuff as the dealer, read all the fault codes etc...They walked me under the car when parts were off showing me where there was wear, what potentially issues there were etc...It was really great, and a lot less expensive than the dealer. The place I was at had no waiting room and it seemed like you were kind of expected to hang in the shop and watch what they are doing.

In the past, I have always been reluctant to use the private shops, but the right one can be great. I always wonder when my car is serviced at the dealer w what they hell they are doing back there with it and who is doing the work.

This sort of takes the mystery away and you feel like you are getting a straight story.

Yesterday, there were like 3 other guys there hanging around with the techs while they were working on their cars, just kind of watching and asking questions.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:58 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rome
Might be worth seeing what a private 'ace' mechanic can find. I spent the day yesterday having the PPI done. The dude let me hang over his shoulder for like 4 hours and showed me exactly what he was looking at and what he was doing. They only do Porsches and Ferraris and they had all the same computer stuff as the dealer, read all the fault codes etc...They walked me under the car when parts were off showing me where there was wear, what potentially issues there were etc...It was really great, and a lot less expensive than the dealer. The place I was at had no waiting room and it seemed like you were kind of expected to hang in the shop and watch what they are doing.

In the past, I have always been reluctant to use the private shops, but the right one can be great. I always wonder when my car is serviced at the dealer w what they hell they are doing back there with it and who is doing the work.

This sort of takes the mystery away and you feel like you are getting a straight story.

Yesterday, there were like 3 other guys there hanging around with the techs while they were working on their cars, just kind of watching and asking questions.
Definitely will look for one. Thank you, rome.

Yetis, do you know/recommend anyone in NY?
Old 04-26-2007, 02:07 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

I haven't bothered to check out Lanna in person. If she's good looking I'll forgive her nasty phone attitude and manly voice But at least on 2 separate occasions I've been left speechless with the way she communicates.
Oh boy, there I go again, with my poor writing skills! Not even close. I was referring to myself and my ability to charm She is a tough one but you NY girls can be a little on the sensitive side. (I am married to one)

As for indies, I only use one, TKX Performance in Huntington Station. Not sure they would go out looking for Cayennes to work on, but they are good people and will find the problem. Speak to Taso. There is also Lynmore around the corner. I used him once and it was good, I just meshed better with TKX, personality wise. tel # for TKX is 631-424-3640.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:15 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Who are you calling sensitive? New York & sensitive don't go together. Even if you add "girl" somewhere in between :-D
Old 04-26-2007, 03:05 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

You could always take the brief ride up to Boston and see Jerry at European Performance Engineering. If he's got LTC's blessing (see my earlier thread)...then....enough said.....
Old 04-26-2007, 03:20 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

for Jerry at EPE.....but he works on Porsches, so I would call first before showing up in a Cayenne.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:28 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
for Jerry at EPE.....but he works on Porsches, so I would call first before showing up in a Cayenne.
He told me that he does work on Cayennes. In fact, there was a CTT at his shop when I was there yesterday, but it was towing in a Ferrari Challenege Stradle on a flat bed to be serviced. the Cayenne looked kinda cool actually towing a red Ferrari.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light