Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Grille Removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 03:37 PM
William Green
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been to the OPC, the turbo grille is screwed in, not a pull off job unfortunately!
Old 12-02-2006, 06:53 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

its not screwd in from the factory
Old 12-03-2006, 03:48 PM
ozr
Racer

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Blade-MD
What is the expected time for removal and reinstallation? I didn't see it on the download. I am calling some body shops around here to get a quote and would like to know about how much to expect to pay.
...PAG allocates about 8h for such work at the P dealer...

...if DIY for the first time removal+reinstallation of the front bumper may take 5-6h...

...if DIY for the second+ time may take 3-4h in a MOST optimistic scenario...because all these screws are INCONVENIENTLY located for ACCESS.

IMPORTANT Tip!!!

PAG instructions MISS one element in this procedure!!!...they actually do not mention it "properly", they hide it...

There are two plastic lever latches on each side holding the bumper AFTER you removed ALL screws.

You MAY need to reach in from the inside the bumper on each side and pull them DOWN (at the same time the 2nd person holding the front bumper cover...) to release the bumper cover. IT IS VERY PORSCHE UNEASY... AND ONLY THEN you pool bumper cover completely out.

Here is an optimization tip for EASIER/QUICKER bumper removal from the plastic lever latches...

1. remove both front lights assemblies FIRST to get EASY ACCESS to lever latches from the front/outside the car. This way you'll get an easy convenient view of their "assembly".

2 only then simply "unplug" the bumper cover from these "tricky" OVERENGINEERED and well hidden PORSCHE latches

...if you apply above optimization, then your DIY second+ time may take 2.5-3h in a MOST optimistic scenario...

OZRacing
Old 12-03-2006, 05:20 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ozr
...PAG allocates about 8h for such work at the P dealer...

...if DIY for the first time removal+reinstallation of the front bumper may take 5-6h...

...if DIY for the second+ time may take 3-4h in a MOST optimistic scenario...because all these screws are INCONVENIENTLY located for ACCESS.

IMPORTANT Tip!!!

PAG instructions MISS one element in this procedure!!!...they actually do not mention it "properly", they hide it...

There are two plastic lever latches on each side holding the bumper AFTER you removed ALL screws.

You MAY need to reach in from the inside the bumper on each side and pull them DOWN (at the same time the 2nd person holding the front bumper cover...) to release the bumper cover. IT IS VERY PORSCHE UNEASY... AND ONLY THEN you pool bumper cover completely out.

Here is an optimization tip for EASIER/QUICKER bumper removal from the plastic lever latches...

1. remove both front lights assemblies FIRST to get EASY ACCESS to lever latches from the front/outside the car. This way you'll get an easy convenient view of their "assembly".

2 only then simply "unplug" the bumper cover from these "tricky" OVERENGINEERED and well hidden PORSCHE latches

...if you apply above optimization, then your DIY second+ time may take 2.5-3h in a MOST optimistic scenario...

OZRacing

WHAT??????

porsche allows 1 hr for removaing and reinstaling the front bumper.

ANd on a TURBO the grills are held in only with 3m tape

theres no latches just a guide pin on each side
Old 12-04-2006, 01:52 AM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

New query: Buy the grills that Porsche sells for close to $1k or have my black ones painted by an autobody shop and reinstalled?
Old 09-14-2008, 03:20 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Reviving an old thread...thanks for posting the procedure for bumper cover removal. It was a pain finding both the 2 screws inside and above the reflector in the wheel well but other than that not too big an issue. Did find that the previous owner had put what I suspect was a powered deer repellent gizzmo in behind the front grill so I removed that while I was in there.

A few weeks ago another SUV on the highway had thrown up a piece of broken 2x4 and it hit me in the front bumper area. Before I made my next gas stop I really expected to see some major damage to the headlight or at least to the bumper but amazingly it only damaged the mini-grill under the LF headlamp. There's no way that thing can come out without removing the bumper cover.

However, I don't think whoever put the deer gizmo in put the bumper cover back on quite right. Could someone please take a photo of the bumper cover as it relates to the hood latch area? I'm talking bout that 3 - 4" area that dips down right by the hood latch, I think the bumper cover should go under the plastic at that area and they had it on top. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:29 AM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I KNOW the turbo grills under the headlights come out from the front by squeezing and pulling them out. I do that about twice a year and vacuum out the debris that builds up there. Never tried the bigger grills but I would put my money on Firehawk.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:16 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxjim
I KNOW the turbo grills under the headlights come out from the front by squeezing and pulling them out. I do that about twice a year and vacuum out the debris that builds up there. Never tried the bigger grills but I would put my money on Firehawk.
The "S's" have that splitter piece (it's part of the bumper cover) in the middle of the bumper cover area where the grill insert goes. It's what differentiates a "S" from a Turbo (in the looks from the front dept. at least).

This thread was not dedicated to turbos, it just evolved into a turbo grill discussion.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:30 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

on the 2nd gen - i think it is bumper removal - my dealer said 3 hours to swap out standard grill for the aluminum.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:47 AM
03LX470
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cpa4S
on the 2nd gen - i think it is bumper removal - my dealer said 3 hours to swap out standard grill for the aluminum.
Sorry, I dont mean to hijack the thread but ive ordered the front aluminum frill for 2006 Turbo S.....I wanted to calrify that all 4 grills can be pulled out without removing the bumper? Just wanted to be sure before I start working on them
Old 11-19-2008, 10:12 AM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

2 nd gen Turbo needs the bumper removed.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:11 PM
sp2212
2nd Gear

Does this link still work??? I'm going to try to remove my bummber to try in install some Daytime Running Lights...
Old 03-01-2010, 04:23 PM
pcst
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the link didn't work for me, needs a new link with the same content.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:48 PM
sp2212
2nd Gear

So, can anyone out there help us out please???
Old 03-15-2010, 05:38 PM
pcst
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm still waiting....

Quick Reply: Front Grille Removal