Sponsored by:

87 Octane?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 04:00 PM
seedvila
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 Octane?

Anyone have their dealer recommend using a lower octane fuel? Our dealer said "Porsche recommends using 87 to eliminate a rough idle problem at high altitude, switch back to higher octane when driving at an altitude closer to sea level".

Just sounds odd when the owner's manual stresses again and again to use the highest octane available.....
Old 11-04-2006, 04:22 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Stolen from Chevron:

http://www.chevron.com/products/prod...i_octane.shtml

Altitude - The higher the altitude above sea level, the lower the octane requirement. Modern computer-controlled engines adjust spark timing and air-fuel ratio to compensate for changes in barometric pressure, and thus the effect of altitude on octane requirement is smaller in these vehicles.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:34 PM
Kooser
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yetis
Stolen from Chevron:

http://www.chevron.com/products/prod...i_octane.shtml

Altitude - The higher the altitude above sea level, the lower the octane requirement. Modern computer-controlled engines adjust spark timing and air-fuel ratio to compensate for changes in barometric pressure, and thus the effect of altitude on octane requirement is smaller in these vehicles.
Nice informaive reply.
This is why I love the forum. Many interesting people, topics, and always something to learn.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:41 PM
seedvila
Instructor

yetis, thank you for the quick answer.

Kooser, you couldn't have said it any better.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:22 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yetis
... just like the fortran IBM punch cards... this brings back college ChemE "nightmares"..... octane/combustion/oxygen levels/temperature/atomospheric pressure... phew.. I'm glad I live in relatively flat terrain!

Quick Reply: 87 Octane?