Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does the Cayenne lock itself?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 11:54 AM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why does the Cayenne lock itself?

I finding out that you better not leave your keys in the car with the windows up. The car locks itself. Which would ruin your day. The dealership tells me all Porsche's do this. My 997 doesn't and I swear the the Cayenne doesn't do it all the time. If you leave your dog in the car, it locks itself and activates the alarm. The only way out of that is to go through 3 menus on the dash to deactivate the interior alarm, each time.

The Cayenne turns heads but people really notice when the alarm goes off when you leave it for a second at a gas station. Damn Germans.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:43 PM
HD911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My CTT does not ever lock on it own.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:45 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

It will auto lock if you disarm the alarm and not open a door for ~30 seconds.

Are you disarming/unlocking and then not opening a door? If you are opening doors and it auto locks, then the dealer can probably program this "feature" out of the system.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:45 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Huh? I've never seen my Pepper lock on it's own in 15 months of ownership. SOmething doesn't add up.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:50 PM
hk_usp9f
Instructor

Originally Posted by ChipAZ
The car locks itself. Which would ruin your day..
Mine doesn't.

Originally Posted by ChipAZ
The only way out of that is to go through 3 menus on the dash to deactivate the interior alarm, each time..
Just curious, what year is your Cayenne? The 06 has a button on the left side door pillar to temporarily disable the motion sensor so you won't have to go through the menus.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:35 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

It doesn't do it all the time, which is strange. I've had it for almost 3 months. The problem started when I started disabling the inside alarm so I could leave my dog inside and still lock the car. Maybe I changed something doing that. The car is in the shop getting the phone put in but I'll look for that button.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:38 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Maybe when you disable through the menus it (the OBC) set's to auto arming upon exit as part of that procedure?
Old 11-03-2006, 02:27 PM
Grssypond
Advanced

I have entry and drive, so this may not be the same for you. First off with enry and drive , the only time you can lock you key in the truck is when you have a key in hand or on your person. Meaning that the truck will lock the 'spare' key in if I have the other key on me. I cannot lock the key in the car in any other situation...at least not that I have found.

Did the dog lock you out??? My vizslas locked me out of my F250 when one of them hit the rocker switch for the lock.

Also, with entry and drive, if I lock the truck and lock it again, from the fob or the door....the motion detector is inactivated.....its in the manual.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:36 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

I have a Vizsla too that is always in the Cayenne. She will set of the motion detector if you do not disable it. You do NOT have to do it via the dash, you can just set the alarm with the fob then hit the button twice again. I think you will notice the red light on the door go to solid, but they alarm is still on.

BTW, you have to be pretty quick after you arm the alarm.

Jim
Old 11-03-2006, 02:38 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

There is an auto-lock feature on the menu but I thought that was just for locking when you start moving.

Can't say my doors have locked themselves but the rear hatch will re-lock if you use the fob to unlock it. Left my keys in the rear hatch, closed the window and was locked out.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:25 PM
Grssypond
Advanced

I have loved the entry and drive...and now i appreciate it more. The truck will not lock if the key is in it...doesn't matter where inside.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:11 AM
charlieXS
Pro

yes, rocker switch on b pillar about waist level, in the up position the rocker disables interior motion detector, in the "down" position it disables the towing/incline sensor.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:09 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Grssypond
I have loved the entry and drive...and now i appreciate it more. The truck will not lock if the key is in it...doesn't matter where inside.
lock the car pop the hatch with the remote dont tocuh the doors. St you key on the matt in the trunk. close hatch let it sit a minute

HOPE YOU HAVE EXTRA KEYS
Old 11-04-2006, 09:47 AM
Grssypond
Advanced

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
lock the car pop the hatch with the remote dont tocuh the doors. St you key on the matt in the trunk. close hatch let it sit a minute

HOPE YOU HAVE EXTRA KEYS
I guess you've been there done that?

I'll try that later today. I also heard yesterday that the 'brain' can be fooled. A friend started the truck (w/ entry and drive), got out, went around to the passenger side and waited on his wife. When she did not come, he got out..closed the passenger door....and the doors automatically locked. Key in the truck, engine running....Now if both keys were in the truck...Whoa..time to call a locksmith ?? can a locksmith break into a Cayenne??. I guess the software engineers tried to think of all the possible ways owners and users would try to lock the keys in the truck....low and behold, we show them they did not think of every possibility.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:56 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the car wont auto lock when running, unless it moves if you get out with it running it dhould not lock unless you hit the button inside or move the truck (put it in drive maybe).
Locksmith isnt getting in, Best thingi you can do is call your dealer and see which window is the cheapest.
There is a way into a cayenne when its locked but theres only a few people that know it and i can assure you noone at porsche can help you

Quick Reply: Why does the Cayenne lock itself?