Some 2006 Cayenne Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 04:46 PM
hindibuff
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some 2006 Cayenne Questions

Hi,

I have been driving my Cay 06 S for just about a year. I did notice a few things and wanted to see if anyone here shares: This is driving in Chicago:

1. The FM traffic receiver doesnt seem to work in Chicago. I have had it come on once in this whole time and that was driving in Cincinnati. Any suggestions?

2. The engine noise: It used to be a easy mean HUMMMMMMM.... and now its more like a drum roll, more like its not smooth and something is off. I can also feel slight vibration on the steering wheel sometimes. The cabin has become definitely more noisy.

3. I have a slight discoloration ( from scraping a wall just slightly when turning), any suggestions on the best way to use the factory paint canister ( buff first, wash it etc etc).

4. Any news of Porsche coming out with a Bluetooth solution for this car anytime soon? Weird but it my history is right, Porsche is the original inventor for bluetooth. hmm!!!
Old 11-03-2006, 06:52 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hindibuff
1. The FM traffic receiver doesnt seem to work in Chicago. I have had it come on once in this whole time and that was driving in Cincinnati. Any suggestions?
Traffic is not supported across the US like it is in Europe.
2. The engine noise: It used to be a easy mean HUMMMMMMM.... and now its more like a drum roll, more like its not smooth and something is off. I can also feel slight vibration on the steering wheel sometimes. The cabin has become definitely more noisy.
Cracked coils? Timing chain/Variocam?
3. I have a slight discoloration ( from scraping a wall just slightly when turning), any suggestions on the best way to use the factory paint canister ( buff first, wash it etc etc).
PM 'Anthony Orosco' from the detailing forum for advise.
Is it thru the clearcoat and down to the base paint?
4. Any news of Porsche coming out with a Bluetooth solution for this car anytime soon?
Yes and it won't be retrofittable to your PCM.
Weird but it my history is right, Porsche is the original inventor for bluetooth. hmm!!!
Don't tell Nokia that.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:43 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

1 NORMAL as ltc said
2 not gonna be coils 06s have new and improved coils, i have not seen a cracked 06 coil
3 problay body shop
4 yes and like ltc said no retro that i have heard of
5 didnt know
Old 11-04-2006, 12:04 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

#2. Cardan shaft?
It would help to have a bit more info, does it do it in neutral or drive, RPM ranges, etc.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:50 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc
#2. Cardan shaft?
It would help to have a bit more info, does it do it in neutral or drive, RPM ranges, etc.
When mine went on my "beta" model, there was no subtle vibrations/noises.. it was PRONOUNCED... So, I doubt it's the cardan.. the vibration and noise is under the 'tween the seats arm rest.. to me, his description sounds more like "the" other problem that was supposedly "cured" in the '06 variant with tighter drivetrain/steering assembly... I would wager steering wheel vibration is the dreaded ----------drum roll ------- shimmy from the alpha/beta past ------- i.e. his/her tires and noise are from tires that are no longer aligned and/or have an inherent RF > 15-20.

So ** hindibuff **, what kind of tires do you have and how many miles.. how long since balanced and how long since an alignment.. any tire rash/bumped curbs.. be honest!
Old 11-04-2006, 01:02 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Hi,

I have been driving my Cay 06 S for just about a year. I did notice a few things and wanted to see if anyone here shares: This is driving in Chicago:

4. Any news of Porsche coming out with a Bluetooth solution for this car anytime soon? Weird but it my history is right, Porsche is the original inventor for bluetooth. hmm!!!

The noise and vibration may simply be your tires. I recently ditched my 18" Pirelli Scorpion Zero tires, which got progressively louder and began making a drum roll type whirring sound at about 14,000 miles. The tires wore unevenly--though they still had 50% tread left through 17,000 miles--and caused vibration even after realignment. At 17,000 miles, I recently purchased 22s--my CS has never rode better, sounded bette, and looked better--no vibration and great ride! Moral of story--try realignment first (or replace tires).
Old 11-04-2006, 02:05 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the o6s have been really really good. no issues with them coils, driveshafts, tcases, cma valves they are excellent cars.
IM gonna say check you tires. how mnay miles on it? Have you been doing your services?
Old 11-07-2006, 06:08 PM
hindibuff
Advanced

wow!! this forum is great. So many replies so soon.

Ok!! The car is at 9000 miles, and 14 months old. I was thinking something with tires too but doesnt sound like it when you are coasting (at any speed) you hear that drum roll over and above the normal humm... I guess the dealer might know better.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:08 PM
hindibuff
Advanced

About the FM traffic, it is now supported by Clear Channel and available through many channels in Chicago area. It picks up the channels all right, but no indication about traffic congestion etc. I need it checked I guess.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:09 PM
hindibuff
Advanced

So there is a bluetooth solution! great!! anyone have a link to the details? Would love to read more about it.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:52 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

About the FM traffic, it is now supported by Clear Channel and available through many channels in Chicago area. It picks up the channels all right, but no indication about traffic congestion etc. I need it checked I guess.
Not sure the dealer will be able to check much on that function.
There is no guarantee that ClearChannel is transmitting properly formatted traffic messages.
You will sometimes get the same problem with RDS; the radio station sends out odd strings......sometimes they're humorous.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:53 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

So there is a bluetooth solution! great!! anyone have a link to the details? Would love to read more about it.
Who said there was an OEM Bluetooth solution?
There have been aftermarket Bluetooth solutions; the Parot and Motorola kits are two of the better ones and have been discussed on rennlist.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:53 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

wow!! this forum is great. So many replies so soon.
Yes, this is the 'honeymooon phase' of Cayenne and forum membership.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:11 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc
Yes, this is the 'honeymooon phase' of Cayenne and forum membership.
.......you're correct Sir....... this is immediately followed by the newlywed period.. which can last for months even years.... it's where you gush some more about your "baby".... then for a small number of us... you hit the "honeymoon over" phase where little "glitches" start sleeping with your Cayenne.... you suspect she isn't being truthful to you and your start to have doubts about your relationship....

if the glitches don't get fixed... you then start to feel like she's "sleeping around" the service dept. studs too often.. Worse ---- if she sleeps there for several nights you in fact end up with a trial separation (rental car for days/weeks or a V6 loaner!)... and then there's the divorce.. you say you're done with her... you trade to some Russian stud who plies her interior with vodka and has his way with her..... you date a few other vehicles in some showrooms... but like dogs to vomit... or like most men and their vehicular obsessions.... they end up marrying another "baby" with really the same personality... and that's called the 2006 "Tit.S".

Last edited by MadFox; 11-08-2006 at 09:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Some 2006 Cayenne Questions