Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice regarding Cayanne S vs ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 09:07 PM
leek
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Advice regarding Cayanne S vs ?

New member here, been lurking around for several weeks trying to learn a little about Cayanne. I am driving an Allroad and it has worked well for me except for $8K in repair bills in 97K miles, I also would like the ability to tow 7500# boat. I have looked at the Mercedes, Lexus, GM, Range Rover and Porsche and the latter looks like it is the right size and capability.
I am 51 and enjoy a car that performs but don't need a race car. Dependability, good winter manners and decent handling are important to me. I am a commercial building contractor so I do use the off road capabilities at times. I have been focused on a new S but I noticed that the local dealer (Barrier) has a CPO CTT '04 with 20,000 miles on it for $79,900. The warrantee will go until 100K miles or 4 years. Is this a good deal or should I look at a loaded S that is new? What technical differences are there between 04 and 06? Thanks in advance,
Old 11-07-2006, 09:56 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leek
New member here, been lurking around for several weeks trying to learn a little about Cayanne. I am driving an Allroad and it has worked well for me except for $8K in repair bills in 97K miles, I also would like the ability to tow 7500# boat. I have looked at the Mercedes, Lexus, GM, Range Rover and Porsche and the latter looks like it is the right size and capability.
I am 51 and enjoy a car that performs but don't need a race car. Dependability, good winter manners and decent handling are important to me. I am a commercial building contractor so I do use the off road capabilities at times. I have been focused on a new S but I noticed that the local dealer (Barrier) has a CPO CTT '04 with 20,000 miles on it for $79,900. The warrantee will go until 100K miles or 4 years. Is this a good deal or should I look at a loaded S that is new? What technical differences are there between 04 and 06? Thanks in advance,
The S for most people is more than enough power and a great vehicle. It would appear that you're at the upper end of the towing limit so I think it would depend on your terrain and your personal preference on the HP to pull that load. The S or TT has the "manners" and handling but the TT has the ability to push you back in the seat on take-off. You need to read more of the forum.. '03/'04 have the "potential" for issues.. most have been resolved with TSB's and diligent work by the dealers.. but, problems still remain in the two early years. We affectionately call them alpha and beta models akin to software releases where bugs are known but software companies (Microsoft??!!) push them out the door anyway. It is possible that with only 20K miles that this CTT got to the point of being traded by its original owner because of "glitches". You will see that some alpha/beta folks have had ZERO real problems.. but I and others wouldn't recommend any Cayenne without a CPO. By the way the CPO is six years from the original sales date not four years from when you buy it. '04's can be as early as May '03 meaning you'd only have about 36 months left. I traded because I was naked at 72K miles and knew that I was going to be shelving out $$$ in the next 5-10K on known no longer warrantied items.. personally, I'd get a '05 CPO or go ahead and get an '06.. there are plenty of deals out there.. but verify your boat can be hauled with the trailer weight and the boat. Oh, and come on in the Cayenne water is warm.. and the social drink of choice is Purplesaurus Rex.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:48 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Stay away from Mercedes, they have the same issues as the early Cayenne's. They also have revamped their entire SUV lineup with new 7 speed transmissions, which I would not trust (yet). It's not fun being the guinea pig for the new stuff.

My S has plenty of power for for me, but that's a big boat.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:14 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by leek
I also would like the ability to tow 7500# boat.
https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...hmentid=126799
Old 11-08-2006, 03:41 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

If you are pulling 7500# plus, then you really need another vehicle.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:56 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Dodge 3/4 Ton Diesel would be my choice.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:23 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

2005 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 6.0l Powerstroke diesel 44 gallon gas tank, tow mode transmission,, REAL telescoping tow mirrors.....a cowboy cadillac.
https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...hmentid=132962

12000# tow capacity......that would be the Excursion towing the Cayenne connected to the boat.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:17 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 944 Likes on 575 Posts

And no duct tape residue or scratchs from the Maglites on the fenders

(if you're a newbie that is an inside Cayenne forum joke...)
Old 11-09-2006, 04:24 PM
leek
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had F250 and large SUV, don't really like the handling and gas milage. Also live in an old part of Seattle in a condo so narrow streets and max 6-8" garage height with turning radius issues. I am looking at at Grady White 22' Tournament that is probably 6000# plus fuel and crap (with trailer brakes). I currently have a 3500# Whaler that I have pulled (over mountain passes) with the Allroad. The allroad is rated to haul 3500#. The Audi does fine and only has 250 hp out of a 2.7 liter V6. None of the repair issues have had to do with hauling heavy loads. I only haul long distances once or twice a year. Several other times I will haul the boat to the lake or out but that is it. I would also prefer to only have one car.
Why wouldn't a car with a V8 that is rated for 7716 # do a fine job pulling this kind of load? Is Porche aggressive about it's ratings? MB GL450 and Range Rover Sport also have similar ratings? Also, I have seen some veiled references to towing issues (electrical?) but what are the actual issues?
Old 11-09-2006, 04:32 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by skl
And no duct tape residue or scratchs from the Maglites on the fenders

(if you're a newbie that is an inside Cayenne forum joke...)

Quick Reply: Advice regarding Cayanne S vs ?