Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inflatable spare to the rescue !!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 12:04 AM
TimC.
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Inflatable spare to the rescue !!!!!!!

The Air Suspension fault Indicator poped up on the highway on Saturday....I then realized something didn't feel right....almost like a lag issue....I looked in the rear view mirror. I was doing about 70mph and could see a huge plume of blue smoke blowing behind me. I slowly stopped on the side of the road and realized that I had a severe FLAT TIRE...
I can see where I ran over something large and sharp. It was a large metal object, but I think I lost all the air so quickly that it seemed so bad that the rim was actually cutting into the sidewall. Anyone every experience this? It was my first flat EVER!!

FYI - Because of this board I knew exactly how to jack my rig and inflate the ever so valuable inflatable spare with my air suspension. I was back on the highway doing 50mph in less than 15 minutes...no joke
Would have been screwed if I had the can of fix a flat because the tires was so damaged....I have to say I was really impressed at how large that spare tire inflates to....its becomes the same height as an 18 inch tire and even has sidewalls that pop out. Rated up to 50mph not bad !!!
Let me know if you want to see a picture...LOL
Old 10-04-2006, 12:22 AM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TimC.
This is all I ever come here for, have you noticed? So, yes, show the pictures :-D

Glad you're ok and did so well with changing the spare. Just the thought of ever being in a position to do it makes me cringe.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:23 AM
Kooser
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Air Suspension fault Indicator poped up on the highway on Saturday....I then realized something didn't feel right....almost like a lag issue....I looked in the rear view mirror. I was doing about 70mph and could see a huge plume of blue smoke blowing behind me. I slowly stopped on the side of the road and realized that I had a severe FLAT TIRE...
I can see where I ran over something large and sharp. It was a large metal object, but I think I lost all the air so quickly that it seemed so bad that the rim was actually cutting into the sidewall. Anyone every experience this? It was my first flat EVER!!

FYI - Because of this board I knew exactly how to jack my rig and inflate the ever so valuable inflatable spare with my air suspension. I was back on the highway doing 50mph in less than 15 minutes...no joke
Would have been screwed if I had the can of fix a flat because the tires was so damaged....I have to say I was really impressed at how large that spare tire inflates to....its becomes the same height as an 18 inch tire and even has sidewalls that pop out. Rated up to 50mph not bad !!!
I'd like to see a photo of the spare on.
I was thinking about just getting four spares chrome-finished and ride on these
Old 10-04-2006, 08:03 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

three years in NYC with a 996, not one flat. Three weeks into Cayenne ownership, hit NYC potholl, have to replace tire... Didn't have to use the spare, but got to use the nifty inflate system!! Pic!!!!!
Old 10-04-2006, 01:25 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Would have been screwed if I had the can of fix a flat because the tires was so damaged....I have to say I was really impressed at how large that spare tire inflates to....its becomes the same height as an 18 inch tire and even has sidewalls that pop out. Rated up to 50mph not bad !!! Let me know if you want to see a picture...LOL
Ahhhhhhhh, to have the spare.. Beta model owner --- blow-out on interstate .. no way to "goop" it.. 4 plus hours later .. new tire 78 mph .. NO JOKE!
Old 10-04-2006, 06:08 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 935 Likes on 566 Posts

My son had a tire deflate rapidly with the sidewall exploding causing a BIG bang and lots of smoke, etc. He got it over to the shoulder (going about 80 on a busy interstate) but he had his mother run him home in her car to get one of our mounted snow tires to get it home- didn't get to use the mickey mouse spare. Maybe I should play with it just for the hell of it.
One question- could you ever DEFLATE it back to its original size so it would fit back in its spot? Nothing ever seems to go back to OEM size after inflating...
Old 10-04-2006, 10:13 PM
TimC.
Racer

Originally Posted by skl
My son had a tire deflate rapidly with the sidewall exploding causing a BIG bang and lots of smoke, etc. He got it over to the shoulder (going about 80 on a busy interstate) but he had his mother run him home in her car to get one of our mounted snow tires to get it home- didn't get to use the mickey mouse spare. Maybe I should play with it just for the hell of it.
One question- could you ever DEFLATE it back to its original size so it would fit back in its spot? Nothing ever seems to go back to OEM size after inflating...
Believe it or not they even thought of this exact thing !! The cap for the stem looks like:

So that you can remove the air valve and let ALL the air out PORSCHE RULES !!!! LOL
Old 10-04-2006, 10:17 PM
TimC.
Racer

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
This is all I ever come here for, have you noticed? So, yes, show the pictures :-D

Glad you're ok and did so well with changing the spare. Just the thought of ever being in a position to do it makes me cringe.
LOL I know me too ) I have to say my turbo looked REAL sexy driving out of the Holland Tunnel with all 20's and one dinky 18 in the back LOLOLOLOL I think you know the road I mean right by Newark airport?? 1&9 pulasky Highway...ohh yeah me and the road rash hanging out on the shoulder
Pictures to follow on Sat...right now I am running one snow tire for the time being on the right rear...SHADY !!!
Old 10-04-2006, 10:22 PM
TimC.
Racer

Originally Posted by Kooser
I'd like to see a photo of the spare on.
I was thinking about just getting four spares chrome-finished and ride on these
LOL my brothers friend put 2 spares on the rear of his civic and spun the tires for about 15 minutes until the exploded....FUNNIEST thing I have EVER witnessed dude....
Old 10-05-2006, 10:15 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pictures - we want pictures!
Old 10-06-2006, 05:19 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL I know me too ) I have to say my turbo looked REAL sexy driving out of the Holland Tunnel with all 20's and one dinky 18 in the back LOLOLOLOL I think you know the road I mean right by Newark airport?? 1&9 pulasky Highway...ohh yeah me and the road rash hanging out on the shoulder
Pictures to follow on Sat...right now I am running one snow tire for the time being on the right rear...SHADY !!!
Of course I know the road. Now, where are the promised pics?!

You know what would have been sexier? All 18s and one 20 :-D

Quick Reply: Inflatable spare to the rescue !!!!!!!