Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bypass pipe -- with or without hanger bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 07:54 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bypass pipe -- with or without hanger bolts?

Quick question. I am thinking of JUST doing the secondary cat removal and following it up with a possible exhaust. The question I have is simple.
The Fabspeed units DON'T have hanger bolts while some of the more expensive versions do. I have read that since you don't have the weight of the cat, you don't need the hangers, however I have also read that the shifting of the exhaust, back and fourth as you drive, requires the hanger bolts, to avoid wear on the conneccting bolts.

Any thoughts.

With Hanger
With hanger bolt

Without hanger
Without hanger
Old 09-22-2006, 08:21 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

without
Old 09-22-2006, 11:50 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

The Fabspeeds are light enough not to require hangers.

Just make sure to measure both bypass pipes before you install them. I received my Fabspeeds and
they were two different diameters..... One pipe worked fine..... The other, I had to take to a local shop and have flared to fit.............. Shown below
Attached Images  
Old 09-25-2006, 12:23 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

No need for the hangers.. but there are some earlier version from fabspeed that indeed cracked.
But none I've seen recently, they are very light.. the one with the hanger on your first link is not worth $975, is that the real price?wth? haha
Old 09-25-2006, 09:47 PM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott C
The Fabspeeds are light enough not to require hangers.

Just make sure to measure both bypass pipes before you install them. I received my Fabspeeds and
they were two different diameters..... One pipe worked fine..... The other, I had to take to a local shop and have flared to fit.............. Shown below
I'm sorry but $600 for 3 pieces of bent pipe and 2 flanges and it doesn't fit! AND they can't take the time to weld on 2 hangers.

I know we spent a lot of money on these vehicles but that's no excuse for a 500% markup. For $200 or even $250 they would be fairly priced. The FVD units for $1000 are simply insulting.

Sorry, but I've been holding that rant in for a while and I couldn't hold it any longer after looking at that picture and remembering the one person who got a pipe with the flange welded on backwards.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:58 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mjw930
I'm sorry but $600 for 3 pieces of bent pipe and 2 flanges and it doesn't fit! AND they can't take the time to weld on 2 hangers.

I know we spent a lot of money on these vehicles but that's no excuse for a 500% markup. For $200 or even $250 they would be fairly priced. The FVD units for $1000 are simply insulting.

Sorry, but I've been holding that rant in for a while and I couldn't hold it any longer after looking at that picture and remembering the one person who got a pipe with the flange welded on backwards.
Imagine my joy when I received the email response to the photos (I've got more):
- Take it to a muffler shop and have it flared.... It shouldn't cost you a thing.
- The stock exhaust probably expanded and that's why it doesn't fit.

Didn't get a clear answer on why one side fit perfectly and the other didn't.

They did offer to give me a big discount on the next purchase! Yeah, right.

As I said in my email to the mfr..... Caveat Emptor.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:27 PM
Kooser
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mudman2
without
Second that. When I had them installed and the car was up in the air the Porsche Tech and I actually hung from them and they barely budged. So I doubt that the hangers are necesssary. I haven't had a problem yet either.

...without.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:38 PM
Kooser
Pro

Originally Posted by mjw930

I should add to this rant....
What about $1245.00 for chrome plated Porsche Sport Exhaust Quad Tips!!??!!
That is pretty insulting too. And you can call me a certified f***ing fool now for buying them to go with a new Cargraphic sport exhaust

I have bitten the bullet now so many times with Tequipment options and other upgrades that I could have easily purchased another car, like maybe even a Boxster! And when it comes time to let this car go I know that I won't see much of any of it, let's face it - it is not like remodeling a kitchen or bath in a home and getting back what you put into it. But some lucky bastard will get a car that was well cared for (pampered), waxed every week, and loaded up with every possible esoteric overpriced gadget and option available to Porschedom!
Old 09-30-2006, 12:17 AM
Budget M3
Racer

Originally Posted by Kooser
But some lucky bastard will get a car that was well cared for ...
Hey Kooser....When you're sellin', I'm feelin' lucky!
Old 10-07-2006, 03:00 AM
70Bee
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fabspeed build quality is consistently inconsistent. My local indy Porsche shop has corroborated this. I have three products from Fabspeed and only one, the Cayenne Cat Bypass, fit out of the box. The other two required a plasma cutter.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:28 PM
tetongolf
Intermediate

I had been concerned about the hangar issue before I actually got the bypasses. I found the Fabspeed bypasses on Ebay for a little over $400.. Once I got the them and saw how much lighter they are than the cats, I realized there is no need for the hangars.

The fit on my bypasses was perfect. I did the install last night. I couldn't find anyone with a lift willing to help me out so I did it myself. One word of caution, make sure you have the necessary half moon wrenches. There is no way to do it without. I searched the archives and found a great write up. The half moon wrenches are a must. Anyway, I put the car in Special Terrain Height and crawled under, it took a lot of patience to get to the one top bolt on the passeneger side off. About an hour and a half later, job done.

The sound is great, not much difference at idle or partial throttle, but 3/4 throttle and full throttle and it now growls like it should.

I highly recommend the bypasses, we'll see if I get any better mpg, but the sound and the claimed 25+ hp gain is well worth it.

Michael
04 CTT
92 S4 RS2
Old 10-07-2006, 06:09 PM
70Bee
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tetongolf, did you get the bypass pipes from a guy in Germany? I almost bought them from him but he would neither confirm nor deny that they were fabspeed bypass pipes so I went retail.

I tried the install myself, placing the car in Terrain mode, but did not have the half moon wrenches. 2 hours later I gave up and paid the shop to do it. Car sounds great at full throttle. I don't think I experienced a mileage improvement having driven 2500 miles over that last few weeks averaging 70 mph and getting 15.9mpg. HP improvement might be there but can't be sure.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:10 PM
tetongolf
Intermediate

I first emailed the guy on Ebay, he didn't respond, then I called Fabspeed to see if it was them selling them on Ebay, since they were using the same pictures and sales copy. Fabspeed said it was a dealer of theirs, so I went ahead with the purchased them from the guy on Ebay. I got them is about 3-4 days, I believe they cam from TN.

Yep, the sound at full throttle is awesome, really growls now. Also, idle is quiet, but it sounds a little lumpy a bit of a gurgle, which is good, before it was just too quiet.

Although it is louder at full throttle it really isn't too intrusive. I didn't even tell my wife taht I put the bypasses on and she didn't even notice, her comment last night along with 2 other people in the car, "Wow it sounds soo cool when you accelerate!"

Michael
04 CTT
92 S4 RS2
Old 10-10-2006, 01:22 AM
Budget M3
Racer

Originally Posted by tetongolf
Although it is louder at full throttle it really isn't too intrusive. I didn't even tell my wife taht I put the bypasses on and she didn't even notice, her comment last night along with 2 other people in the car, "Wow it sounds soo cool when you accelerate!"
I had the exact same experience...while cruising on the freeway at 80mph, she even commented that the Cayenne "sure is quiet". When I told her that I replaced the secondary cat (just one, mine is a V6), she then commented that I did seem to be stomping on it more around town just to hear the cool sound
Old 10-10-2006, 08:43 AM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 209 Posts

Has anyone here considered taking their secondary pipes off the pepper and taking them down to a local custom muffler shop and having a bypass pipe made?

Any decent shop should be able to bend up the pipe (some even have mandrel benders) and weld on a flange and do it for less than $100 per pipe.

Quick Reply: Bypass pipe -- with or without hanger bolts?