Sponsored by:

Post your repair / warranty list here

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 11:13 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nineoneone
I was offered the same type coverage. what will it cover? Pipes, coils, etc. Thanks
I really only believe it covered internal failure of the engine, not the coolant system itself, and failure of the tranny.

So I guess if I had a v8 and lost the coolant then just smoked the engine, I would owe a small deductible and they would be on the hook for the e.

I just know that when I refi'd from Porsche NA to my local credit union, they offered the 800 dollars to cover the transmission and engine during the life of the loan.

(footnote, I had only one trade line from another car, and at that time it was easier to buy a house/rather than a car. So i went with Porsche NA while searching for a lower rate that I found at a credit union.......Porsche gave me 9.something%, refi'd into a 3% interest rate.)

Last edited by cordsig79; 12-16-2011 at 11:17 AM. Reason: background on financing...
Old 12-29-2011, 05:50 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't have the Pig anymore; but when I had it, I had to replace TPMS ECU (at 40K miles) and engine (at 50K miles) due to scored cylinder. 2004 CS. Sold it a month after engine change.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:48 AM
rowlands57
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just recently had to replace the transmission control unit and the entire harness to the transmission. A seal at the transmission leaked and oil wicked up to the TCU and took that out as well. Just about $1,800 for this one on what is supposed to be a 'lifetime' unit. I sent three letters to PCNA about this so far and no joy at all, I'll keep that up. I would not mind a repair due to my neglect or abuse but this one just really annoys me because it's just bad design.

Other than that I did have the coils recall done. The rest of the work I do myself with the help of a Durametric so overall a good experience but I cannot get past the feeling that my $1,800 expense was unwarranted.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:36 PM
nineoneone
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I went ahead this weekend and changed the coils on my03. Was not a bad job to do and I also done the brake pads front and rear. I like the feeling I know where I'm at with this type of regular maintenance. 7 of the coils were cracked and the one that was not had been replaced most recent. I was a bit surprised when I found that spark plug loose to the point I could turn it by hand. Had one on the driver side that had burnt marks on the seal and black soot on the threads. I did clean everything up good before replacing. Had to purchase the $40.00 reverse torks sockets. The spark plugs were the Super one and I just went back with standard type. They didn't look to bad so I stocked them in the tool box in case I had to replace any of the new ones. I still have not found an answer as to why my check hitch warning comes on at start up. I don't see the wiring for the lights but there is a small box just under the plastic cover to the left of the hitch with wires going to it. I guess that is the port for the wires? It has a plate screwed on and no wires coming to the hitch area. Puzzled me for the last couple of weeks as to why put the hitch in and not drop the wires. Is there a pigtail that fits that plug (if there is a plug under the plate) that is suppose to be there but not? TIA.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:47 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^ 911, do a search for "Pollak" and "trailer" and you'll find several threads with info on purchasing installing the socket/adapter for the trailer lights. It has been a complaint from the beginning but you're not going to get anywhere with Porsche on it. Several threads show you how to DIY the install of the socket < 15 min. job.

FYI, I bought my socket from JC Whitney for < $15. You can also get one from VW, it's the same as the Porsche.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:43 PM
nineoneone
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

^^ Thanks Bill, searched every word, trailer, pollok, tow hitch wiring, trailer hitch wiring and found nothing.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:25 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Where do we begin? All my repairs except the coolant pipes have been covered by CPO. The coolant pipes I had/helped a mechanic friend do since we were taking the P!G to the west coast and back, and I didn't want them to burp in the middle of the Mohave desert..

- Latest: PS pump and PS rack. Pump first, when that didn't change things - the rack got done. This was to address a shudder in the wheel when turning it lock to lock with the vehicle stationary. Despite thinking it might be the result of really sticky tires - I suspect it's the sticky FAT tires that cause it. It still does it - a bit less then it used to, so I'm putting it out of my mind. No idea what it cost, but I'm sure it wasn't real cheap.

- Very minor coolant leak: The dealer found the hoses at the rear of the engine were weeping a tiny bit and replaced all of them. I still had a tiny bit of a coolant odor, so while it was in for the PS I asked them to look at it. Dunno what they did (no parts on the printout), but it no longer has any odor and the level hasn't changed in weeks.

- Rear cupholders. Looked fine. Worked fine if I pulled them out. Didn't automatically extend. They do since replacement.

- Fuel system: Most of it was replaced to address a starting issue where the fuel rail lost pressure immediately on shutoff. The final part replaced was the fuel filter, which apparently has a check valve in it somewhere (or mine was cracked.. your guess..) that failed. Two new pumps, new pressure regulator, and a fuel filter and it's been starting flawlessly.

That's about it for the 20,000 miles I've owned it. I have "03" (last 2 numbers) coils - and I carry a spare one from NAPA in the spare tire well. Cardan shaft is original (and I carry a spare bearing assembly next to the spare coil.) I did the 60,000 service myself, filters/oils/belt/etc. Wasn't a bad chore. I've been changing the oil at 10k intervals (this is one of the years when Porsche thought 15k intervals were good..) I've had two sets of wiper blades, and one new wiper arm in the rear (a car wash ate it - the car was owners paid for it with no quibbles.. good guy!)

72,000 miles on it. It's been less trouble then most BMWs I've owned.. (which by that mileage would have eated a coolant reservoir and perhaps a radiator.)
Old 04-14-2012, 08:45 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nineoneone
^^ Thanks Bill, searched every word, trailer, pollok, tow hitch wiring, trailer hitch wiring and found nothing.
Just saw this. Searching every word might not give you any results, I just used "trailer pollak" and this is the thread I was talking about. Also it's spelled "pollak".

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...trailer+pollak
Old 05-04-2012, 05:45 PM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 221 Posts

Wow. I'll stick with my 928 thanks and drive my explorer in the snow.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:04 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

'11 958 CTT.

Driver's side window wouldn't go up. Motor replaced. Almost 35k miles.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:23 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
'11 958 CTT.

Driver's side window wouldn't go up. Motor replaced. Almost 35k miles.
How did you break it ? having out of the window screaming at (insert here)
Old 05-17-2012, 06:54 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

For chrissake quit letting your dog drive
Old 05-17-2012, 08:02 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Banging my had against it after getting a nail in a brand new tire few days ago might have head something to do with it.

I'll know for sure, since I'm in the process of doing it again (banging my head), while waiting for nail #2 to be taken out in past 72 hrs. Same tire.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:12 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You get more flats than our fleet and we have a wood shop
Old 05-17-2012, 10:13 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
Banging my had against it after getting a nail in a brand new tire few days ago might have head something to do with it.

I'll know for sure, since I'm in the process of doing it again (banging my head), while waiting for nail #2 to be taken out in past 72 hrs. Same tire.

I had 5 flats in a week on my bmw a couple of years ago. only one could be repaired, had to buy 4 new tires... 245/35 R19, not exactly cheap ones not to mention that with the last one I BROKE one of the forged OZ superleggera rims in an unmarked pothole in the middle of nowhere in poland.

just a couple of days before that week, I told myself that with me driving around 30K miles a year throughout the whole europe, I actually had only one flat tire and how lucky I am. yup, **** happens.

Quick Reply: Post your repair / warranty list here