Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$11,500 for a Cayenne Spare Tire Carrier

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006 | 02:40 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Default $11,500 for a Cayenne Spare Tire Carrier

You would think that SUV's that are touted for off road use, would have a place to put a spare tire. This is ridiculous.
Old 09-20-2006 | 03:17 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

How did the phone install go?

I think they should offer a package aftermarket deal for the phone, Sat radio, trailer hitch and spare tire carrier for $20k. Since they have to take the whole car apart anyway....
Not that I would by the package, though it seems like a better idea than offering the Cayenne Titanium.
Old 09-20-2006 | 03:22 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

you can removed the rear subwoffer and get a space saver.
Old 09-20-2006 | 04:15 PM
sigs
Racer

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
you can removed the rear subwoffer and get a space saver.
1. Agree with ChipAZ - why would any manufacturer build a truck with such off-road abilities without a FULL-SIZE spare.
2. Having to sacrifice part of the stereo system for a space saver is almost equally ridiculous in a vehicle this expensive.
3. The space saver won't fit over the brakes of the PK or CTTS.

IMHO, this is probably the single worst design flaw in the vehicle - but, then again, I haven't had any major drivetrain failures, yet.

Love my truck, hate this "feature."
Old 09-20-2006 | 05:15 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

In have a spare tire...and a subwoofer...in my '06
Old 09-20-2006 | 05:22 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Originally Posted by sigs
1. Agree with ChipAZ - why would any manufacturer build a truck with such off-road abilities without a FULL-SIZE spare.
2. Having to sacrifice part of the stereo system for a space saver is almost equally ridiculous in a vehicle this expensive.
3. The space saver won't fit over the brakes of the PK or CTTS.

IMHO, this is probably the single worst design flaw in the vehicle - but, then again, I haven't had any major drivetrain failures, yet.

Love my truck, hate this "feature."

Well im gonna be the antagonist here. how many cayennes are ever off road more then the "dirt" road to the country club. probaly not very many. in most cases if you get a flat on a public road you call roadside becasue your average cayenne owner isnt gonna change the tire anyway.
For the few that would change their tire and do drive their vechile to its capabiulities..................you got jacked........I think if i were in the situation
i would probaly buy an extra wheel and tire and for those off road excursions toss it in the back and for the public roads call roadside and let them deal with it
not the best answer for a 80$ truck but its all i got
Old 09-20-2006 | 06:40 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Roadside assistance can be a long way from where you are here. Believe me. I wouldn't own a Cayenne if it didn't have off road capabilities. It's the best of both worlds for me, a real highway car that can go off road. I will have to carry a wheel in back.

We are running out of true off road trucks because there just isn't the demand for them. I've heard that the Cayenne may not include a low range in the next generation. Can't blame Porsche, since most Cayenne owners never put it in low range. Why not spend the money on something you can use.

I am still waiting for the phone. I don't know what's going on with that. Someday the boat with the part will dock somewhere.
Old 09-20-2006 | 07:16 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Why would anyone buy a car that cannot be trusted in the rain, Porsche do that also (997).

Perhaps each model have a fault designed in to give us something to tak about (Jaguar started it).

The Cayenne, the got carried away with.
Old 09-20-2006 | 09:58 PM
sigs
Racer

I'll try not to get into my usual rant about what the real meaning of SUV is and how most people who buy an "SUV" nowadays aren't really looking for a real SUV, they're just looking for a jacked-up station wagon, and how most Cayenne owners (as you state) are really just looking for either a "SSJUSW" (Status-Symbol Jacked-Up Station Wagon) or an "RFFJUSW" (Really Friggin' Fast Jacked-Up Station Wagon), but that P went to a lot of trouble and charged all of us a lot of money and added a whole lot of weight to the truck for the purposes of making it a "Real SUV," so, by George, we ought to be able to take the damn thing at least down a rocky dirt road or onto a remote construction site or any of a thousand other places where the Roadside Assistance sun don't shine, without having to worry about hiking out and hiring a teenager in a CJ5 or a Ford pickup to ferry us back and forth to the tire shop - IF they can fix the thing or (even less likely) IF they have a replacement in stock.

Aren't you glad I didn't rant?

LTC, share your drugs.
Old 09-20-2006 | 10:52 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

It just ticks me off that Porsche charges a fortune for stuff that comes standard in lessor cars. Spare Tires. Phones, Tire Pressure Monitors, Anti Glare Mirrors.
Does Porsche Think we Americans think money is no object?

Dr Ferdinand Porsche gave Hitler the Tiger Tank, with power steering and comfortable seats. Sometimes I wonder.

Quick Reply: $11,500 for a Cayenne Spare Tire Carrier