UPDATE - PAG responds - Schitzu - Larry is going to say "I told you so!"

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 11:25 AM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MadFox
You are one funny guy!! I never liked "raincoats" on "parts".

Update - As most of you know, us alpha/beta model owners know just about every employee in the dealership. From service advisors to sales guys to managers to the GM. When I arrived late this afternoon to pick up my vehicle, the SA commented on what a great deal that I was getting... I said and I quote, "Well, I'm still not satisfied that I should pay anything for this PAG design failure. Did the SM actually ask the GM what he thought about the situation?" As we say in the south, "come to find out", the SM had only talked with PCNA and had made the decision on his own to reduce some of their "hard" costs. So, I decided to pay the bill and I'd just write a letter to the GM and Peter about reducing my share even further.

Within seconds of thinking that plan of action, the GM, whom I know well, strides into the service area. He walks over and speaks to me and wonders why I'm here (again, told that he'd been in the loop when he was not). I explained the situation and that I'd done everything through the dealership and that I was really shocked at the part failure and yet, while PCNA paying for 50% was nice, I really didn't think I should pay a thing. He looks me right in the eye and says, "you're right"! I want your business for the long term and I also believe that we should credit you back the charges you paid because it is ridiculous for the cardan shaft to fail.

Voila', one totally free cardan shaft replacement.

I really want to positively plug Tom Williams Porsche's GM, who is a guy named Jim, they are a Premier Dealer and truly one of the best in the USA, if not the best from a service standpoint. Jim and his team have truly made it a bearable considering the number of times I've been in the place.

I will definitely consider the 997S cab. simply because of the dealership.
MadFox, glad to hear that everything turned out ok. I have a few questions, but please consider that I'm clueless about the way the insides of the car operate, so refrain from laughing publically :-D

I remember reading this post of yours, which describes perfectly what was happening to my car. Here's the question, are transfer case & cardan shaft related? Meaning, if your dealer replaced the transfer case back then, would you be experiencing the problem with the cardan shaft right now? I'm just trying to think ahead and prepare in case (knocking on wood a gazillion times) clunk does come back. If it does, I'll have to drive over to "Sweeeeet hooooome Alabaaamaa" to visit your wonderful dealer :-D
Old 09-11-2006, 12:48 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
MadFox, glad to hear that everything turned out ok. I have a few questions, but please consider that I'm clueless about the way the insides of the car operate, so refrain from laughing publically :-D

I remember reading this post of yours, which describes perfectly what was happening to my car. Here's the question, are transfer case & cardan shaft related? Meaning, if your dealer replaced the transfer case back then, would you be experiencing the problem with the cardan shaft right now? I'm just trying to think ahead and prepare in case (knocking on wood a gazillion times) clunk does come back. If it does, I'll have to drive over to "Sweeeeet hooooome Alabaaamaa" to visit your wonderful dealer :-D
Two different things.. the clunk (at least for me) in that post was definitely software related and was "fixed" with PIWIS updating... the cardan shaft is not a CLUNK.. it is a THUMP that is RPM related and keeps on thumping!! my CLUNK would just happen once on the curve while doing medium to hard accelerating.... believe me if you have a cardan shaft problem you'll think the car is about to fall apart and the vibration/THUMP is right between the driver's and pax's seats.. I know this is very technical... Larry? Anything to add?

p.s. EW -- Sorry to be so long in responding.. holiday and re-positioning of college stud muffins kept me otherwise pre-occupied for most of a week!
Old 09-11-2006, 09:46 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The early sign of the shaft going is a low frequency droan. Best described by saying the word "wummering" 5 times. thats the sort of period of the peak. Its so annoying that you wonder if the sub woofer is doing it. Later the vibration is added to the mix.

However this should only impact 03 and early to mid 04 production. It was a bad part that they knew about in the 03 batch but slipped through to 04's (BS if ever I heard it, they had bad parts and wanted to use them and fix on the back end if complained about enough. its called rolling the dice)
Old 09-11-2006, 10:29 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mudman2
....Its so annoying that you wonder if the sub woofer is doing it......
Very nice, what has the subwoofer ever done to you (besides mess up your spare tire and/or 2nd battery)? Go ahead, blame the audio electronics now.

Originally Posted by mudman2
(BS if ever I heard it, they had bad parts and wanted to use them and fix on the back end if complained about enough. its called rolling the dice)

What he said
Old 02-02-2008, 07:00 AM
vyper340
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is a Cardon Shaft? Is it in the engine or some other drivetrain part? Are CTT's affected??

Forgive my ignorance; LTC I'm wearing my Kevlar, be gentle...
Old 02-02-2008, 07:46 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by vyper340
What is a Cardon Shaft? Is it in the engine or some other drivetrain part?
It is part of the drivetrain, outside of the engine, think of it as one of the Cayenne's driveshafts between the engine and the final rear differential.

And you're probably going to ask for P/N's:
There are two cardan shafts listed (one for the S and one for the Turbo)
For the 955 421 020 10 use the new cardan shaft 955 421 020 11
or
for the 955 421 020 20 use the new cardan shaft 955 421 020 21.

Your dealer should be able to quickly tell you:
A. it IS in fact your cardan shaft
B. your Cayenne was in the 'affected vehicle VIN range'

AFAIK, there wasn't an official TSB issued for this.

Are CTT's affected??
Yes

Forgive my ignorance; LTC I'm wearing my Kevlar, be gentle...
Wouldn't matter anyways, the squirrels have been bred with carbide teeth, they can chew through Kevlar quicker than an out of warranty Cayenne can chew through your wallet.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:53 AM
jaholmes
Drifting

Do you have the VIN # range. If no official TSB, did they write anything on this problem.

Originally Posted by ltc
It is part of the drivetrain, outside of the engine, think of it as one of the Cayenne's driveshafts between the engine and the final rear differential.

And you're probably going to ask for P/N's:
There are two cardan shafts listed (one for the S and one for the Turbo)
For the 955 421 020 10 use the new cardan shaft 955 421 020 11
or
for the 955 421 020 20 use the new cardan shaft 955 421 020 21.

Your dealer should be able to quickly tell you:
A. it IS in fact your cardan shaft
B. your Cayenne was in the 'affected vehicle VIN range'

AFAIK, there wasn't an official TSB issued for this.

Yes

Wouldn't matter anyways, the squirrels have been bred with carbide teeth, they can chew through Kevlar quicker than an out of warranty Cayenne can chew through your wallet.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:56 AM
jaholmes
Drifting

I think there is a big difference on how Porsche treats dealers and Premier Dealers. Talking with the head of a premier dealer, he said they are given a little more leeway on making things happen. When the premier dealer says they need to do warranty work their are little questions.

Originally Posted by MadFox
You are one funny guy!! I never liked "raincoats" on "parts".

Update - As most of you know, us alpha/beta model owners know just about every employee in the dealership. From service advisors to sales guys to managers to the GM. When I arrived late this afternoon to pick up my vehicle, the SA commented on what a great deal that I was getting... I said and I quote, "Well, I'm still not satisfied that I should pay anything for this PAG design failure. Did the SM actually ask the GM what he thought about the situation?" As we say in the south, "come to find out", the SM had only talked with PCNA and had made the decision on his own to reduce some of their "hard" costs. So, I decided to pay the bill and I'd just write a letter to the GM and Peter about reducing my share even further.

Within seconds of thinking that plan of action, the GM, whom I know well, strides into the service area. He walks over and speaks to me and wonders why I'm here (again, told that he'd been in the loop when he was not). I explained the situation and that I'd done everything through the dealership and that I was really shocked at the part failure and yet, while PCNA paying for 50% was nice, I really didn't think I should pay a thing. He looks me right in the eye and says, "you're right"! I want your business for the long term and I also believe that we should credit you back the charges you paid because it is ridiculous for the cardan shaft to fail.

Voila', one totally free cardan shaft replacement.

I really want to positively plug Tom Williams Porsche's GM, who is a guy named Jim, they are a Premier Dealer and truly one of the best in the USA, if not the best from a service standpoint. Jim and his team have truly made it a bearable considering the number of times I've been in the place.

I will definitely consider the 997S cab. simply because of the dealership.

Quick Reply: UPDATE - PAG responds - Schitzu - Larry is going to say "I told you so!"