Sponsored by:

UPDATE - PAG responds - Schitzu - Larry is going to say "I told you so!"

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 06:13 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default UPDATE - PAG responds - Schitzu - Larry is going to say "I told you so!"

69K+ miles and I'm seeking advice. I'm a BETA model owner (see signature). Bought an extended warranty last summer (long before 50K miles) to take the Cayenne S to 100K miles or more because of postings on this forum on alpha/beta models "issues". Based on the advice and with diligent research, found a "reputable" 10 year old ext. warranty company BBB, WebAssured, Rennlist referrals, etc. It was declared insolvent and because I was past 50K miles couldn't get ext. warranty (although possibly could have through dealer if pushed but had already spent $3800 and didn't want to spend $3000 more).

Saturday, what I thought was the spark plug/coil engine misfire starting to happen again.. became "different" when I started to get a "clunk" from under and between the front seats. Didn't drive much saturday or sunday.. but indeed got worse and was definitely now becoming RPM related. No engine lights etc. Got under the vehicle and inspected everything to see if muffler loose, broken parts, etc. Could find nothing visually. Drove to dealership this morning...

BINGO, Larry, CARDAN SHAFT. At least $1800 or more dollars. I am pissed... many manf. warranties used to have 7 year 100K drivetrain and body panel rust protection on main body panels.. but Porsche appears to have simply 4 years/50K miles. I've already nicely stated that I've bought all tires, all maintenance from the dealership, etc. and that I'm not happy that I need to replace a drivetrain on a 39 month old car with 70K miles.. never redlined and never raced/abused.. all highway miles for the most part. I've set up that the dealer either eats/contributes if manf. doesn't stand behind it. Also, had my eye on a Lapis blue 997S cab. that I said depending on how this is handled will definitely determine my future with Porsche. I was EXTREMELY NICE and polite (this dealer is absolutely one of the best) and even said that this forum is discussing the PAG mentality .. simple example of new mentality is that we get $20 worth of emergency road handling brochures when I was out of warranty (which they know as it had been serviced) and that I'd prefer they update the CD NAV ..

So... What would you do, if you were in my position???

a.) Fix and Trade to new SUV
b.) Fix and press on
c.) Fix, Trade and get 997S Cab.
d.) Write Peter and explain his options for keeping me as a customer.
e.) RECOMMENDATIONS -- other options.

And, Larry, I know I'm the bartender on this forum.. but can you pass the adult additive and an IV drip?

Last edited by MadFox; 08-29-2006 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:36 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Larry can't come to the keyboard right now, but if you leave a message after the beep, I'll make sure he gets it.
In the meantime, why not give me a crack at it.

Cardan shaft....I'm not surprised, not in the least.
The Cardan shaft is similar to the rear window microswitch and the cracked coils. PAG simply replaced the defective part with the same part.....voila! Fixed! Brilliant!
Push it out past warranty.
Translated: Don't ship short, ship ****. Ship **** then retrofit.

It's simply going to happen to more and more Cayennes as they age.....but since I'm the black sheep of the forum , I'll just leave it at that, sit back, have some popcorn and Purplesaurus Rex and wait.

Warranty coverage........where to begin.
OK, when Dr W 'saved' Porsche by bringing in that Japanese company, there was a startling discovery.
Did you know that warranty coverage actually costs manufacturers money? Who would have thought?
So, how to solve this problem?
Simple....shorten the warranty coverage period.
Brilliant!

As to what to do next or what PCNA will step up to the plate and cover.....I think you already know.
As to what Peter will say/think....I think you already know.
As to what PCNA/PAG will care whether or not you buy the 997S Cab.... I think you already know.

As for next vehicles, sorry, any non M64/GT1 derived engine block, not for me. RMS, integrated wet sump (whatever the hell that is), oil pump starvation without modified oil pans when on track....I could not buy a 997, 987.
Then again, after my Cayenne experience, I said no to the Carrera GT, the Panamera.....I won't ever cast a shadow in a Porsche showroom, ever again.

Does PCNA care?
Check out the GT3/GT3 RS forum. They've absolutely got their panties in a twist (or boxers in a bunch if you prefer) over the fact that they're getting a sunroof, like it or not. Some have cancelled orders. PCNA could care less.

As stated many times previously, PCNA/PAG marketing has calcualated that they WILL sell all the cars they want, no matter what 'enthusiasts' or 'long time owners' say.

It's a whole new demographic model, a Porsche for everone, new/used, expensive/inexpensive.

Stick around kids, go to your Porsche dealer in 10-15 years; it will be just like a VW/Audi dealership today, especially the service deparment.

Of course, this is all subject to review and modification once Larry reads it.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:36 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd go for option 'b'....Fix it (cross your fingers) and press on to 100,000 miles and then get the C4S, or better yet, a CTT.

As for all that technical mumbo jumbo described by "he who shall remain nameless"....all I know is my '06 CS drives great.

Lewis-- Can you tell I studied philosophy in college and not engineering.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:18 PM
SnP
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with rome - I'd fix it and press on.

Trying to get anyone at any automotive marque to appreciate you as a buyer is an exercise in futility bound to cause you further frustration.

That said, it's important to note that my opinion is worth what you paid for it and depreciating faster than a new Porsche.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:32 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

If you trade it for a new Porsche, won't the dealer have this issue documented and adjust trade-in accordingly?
Old 08-29-2006, 04:28 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Default UPDATE.. Will pick-up my S this afternoon.

Originally Posted by ltc
Larry can't come to the keyboard right now, but if you leave a message after the beep, I'll make sure he gets it.................
As to what to do next or what PCNA will step up to the plate and cover.....I think you already know.
As to what Peter will say/think....I think you already know.
As to what PCNA/PAG will care whether or not you buy the 997S Cab.... I think you already know.
........Of course, this is all subject to review and modification once Larry reads it.
Did Larry ever read this??... I think he'll be stunned by Peter's decision and that of my dealer's. The dealer is deeply discounting labor, Peter is going to pay 50% of the part cost (~$800 plus with tax), and so it'll cost me about $4-500 bucks. I guess I am pleased with this result given that most folks after 50K say "so what".. still undecided as to whether to trade or keep the S when/if I get the 997S.

BTW, the GM and Service Mgr. called PCNA personally. I keep being amazed by the dealership.

*** Forget Larry, LTC, are you saying that there has been no design change in the cardan shaft after all these problems with it and 25-75K depending on your situation? I'm going to ask them about that.. plus what warranty is going to be given on this new shaft?
Old 08-29-2006, 05:54 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MadFox
Did Larry ever read this??... I think he'll be stunned by Peter's decision and that of my dealer's. The dealer is deeply discounting labor, Peter is going to pay 50% of the part cost (~$800 plus with tax), and so it'll cost me about $4-500 bucks. I guess I am pleased with this result given that most folks after 50K say "so what".. still undecided as to whether to trade or keep the S when/if I get the 997S.
This is why I will choose to self insure after my warranty expires. It leaves you with options to negotiate (which you'd probably be doing with the after market warranty company anyway)...and, after you factor in the cost of the premium and deductibile I suspect you rarely wind up worse off (except in the case of some catatrophic occurence, which is rare). Afterall, the warranty companies make big $$ for assuming the risk, so why not apply the same principals and self insure to save that money.

Last edited by rome; 08-30-2006 at 01:13 AM.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:21 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you will get 2 years unlimited milage warrenty on the new shaft
Old 08-29-2006, 08:24 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by rome
.....(except in the case of some catatrophic occurence, which is rare).....
Haven't spent much time pricing Porsche parts lately.....
You don't want to know the prices for some of the bits: PCM, PASM components, etc.
You may want to consider a slightly larger 'Cayenne self-insurance piggy bank'.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:27 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Did Larry ever read this??... I think he'll be stunned by Peter's decision and that of my dealer's. The dealer is deeply discounting labor, Peter is going to pay 50% of the part cost (~$800 plus with tax), and so it'll cost me about $4-500 bucks. I guess I am pleased with this result given that most folks after 50K say "so what"
I would guess that since it was a previously documented 'feature' and the subject of a TSB, they threw you a bone.
Similar situation to tkerrmd when he was naked for 2K and cracked coils were discovered.

*** Forget Larry, LTC, are you saying that there has been no design change in the cardan shaft after all these problems with it and 25-75K depending on your situation?
Same shaft, different rubbers.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:29 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Haven't spent much time pricing Porsche parts lately.....
You don't want to know the prices for some of the bits: PCM, PASM components, etc.
You may want to consider a slightly larger 'Cayenne self-insurance piggy bank'.

yeah i agree to that cayennes out of warrenty arent gonna be cheap to maintain.
so every body at 49999 miles go to the dealer with all your issues
Old 08-29-2006, 09:31 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 97 Posts

MadFox,

I vote "A". You've validated RC1 (those of you who play in the PC software world will recognize that acronym - funny we NEVER had Release Candidates on OS/VS1 or OS/VS2, MVT or MVS, maybe things have changed under zOS?). Might as well move onto RC2!

Toby
Old 08-29-2006, 09:32 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Same shaft, different rubbers.
O M G ! ! ! ! ! You thought about that one for a while didn't you! Very good Larry, ummm, I mean Lewis.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:45 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
O M G ! ! ! ! ! You thought about that one for a while didn't you! Very good Larry, ummm, I mean Lewis.
Thanks....just checking to see if anyone notices....or if everyone has me on their 'Ignore' list.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:21 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Default 2nd Update. GM makes the whole deal, "comp".

Originally Posted by ltc
Thanks....just checking to see if anyone notices....or if everyone has me on their 'Ignore' list.
You are one funny guy!! I never liked "raincoats" on "parts".

Update - As most of you know, us alpha/beta model owners know just about every employee in the dealership. From service advisors to sales guys to managers to the GM. When I arrived late this afternoon to pick up my vehicle, the SA commented on what a great deal that I was getting... I said and I quote, "Well, I'm still not satisfied that I should pay anything for this PAG design failure. Did the SM actually ask the GM what he thought about the situation?" As we say in the south, "come to find out", the SM had only talked with PCNA and had made the decision on his own to reduce some of their "hard" costs. So, I decided to pay the bill and I'd just write a letter to the GM and Peter about reducing my share even further.

Within seconds of thinking that plan of action, the GM, whom I know well, strides into the service area. He walks over and speaks to me and wonders why I'm here (again, told that he'd been in the loop when he was not). I explained the situation and that I'd done everything through the dealership and that I was really shocked at the part failure and yet, while PCNA paying for 50% was nice, I really didn't think I should pay a thing. He looks me right in the eye and says, "you're right"! I want your business for the long term and I also believe that we should credit you back the charges you paid because it is ridiculous for the cardan shaft to fail.

Voila', one totally free cardan shaft replacement.

I really want to positively plug Tom Williams Porsche's GM, who is a guy named Jim, they are a Premier Dealer and truly one of the best in the USA, if not the best from a service standpoint. Jim and his team have truly made it a bearable considering the number of times I've been in the place.

I will definitely consider the 997S cab. simply because of the dealership.

Quick Reply: UPDATE - PAG responds - Schitzu - Larry is going to say "I told you so!"