Off-Road Cayennes

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 02:50 PM
farmerjohn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off-Road Cayennes

Hey Rennlisters:

I see a lot of advertisements for Cayenne accessories but they seem to be all about street bling. I'm interested in a Cayenne S and I'd want to modify it to be a dedicated off-road machine. You know, real off-road tires, safari rack, winch, etc. Think Paris-Dakar 959 type mods. Has anyone done this or even seen a Cayenne like this? It sure would be a stand out among the jeep crowd.

Cheers,

John F.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:25 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I used to work at a porsche/ rover dealer, and we had a few customers that would take there cayeens out to the land rover events, and actually run them in the muck and mud, they were great, as long as they wernt on the factory tires. theres some cool videos on google of cayenes blasting though the sand dunes in the desert and a few going through the muck
Old 08-28-2006, 03:44 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IIRC, the Touareg has successfully competed in off road competitions (Dakar, Baja).......
Plenty of pictures to refer to and get the necessary mods/equipment.

BTW, please don't mention the 959 and the Cayenne in the same sentence.
Thanks.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:05 PM
farmerjohn
Advanced

Originally Posted by ltc
IIRC, the Touareg has successfully competed in off road competitions (Dakar, Baja).......
Plenty of pictures to refer to and get the necessary mods/equipment.

BTW, please don't mention the 959 and the Cayenne in the same sentence.
Thanks.
Well, they're both kind of...ugly ...some say.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:09 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

The 959 is an engineering marvel, a car well ahead of it's time....like most of the classic Porsches.

The word 'Cayenne' does NOT belong in the same sentence, let alone share the same badge.

And BTW, the Cayenne is about as attractive as a pig.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:45 PM
tommytomaso
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc
The 959 is an engineering marvel, a car well ahead of it's time....like most of the classic Porsches.

The word 'Cayenne' does NOT belong in the same sentence, let alone share the same badge.

And BTW, the Cayenne is about as attractive as a pig.
Not to say the 959 wasnt roughly based off the 953 designed in 1983 raced from 1984 till the rally 959's came out. street 959's came out yrs after all of the ''engineering'' wows were worked out. 959's are real porsche race cars for the street and only because of rule changes that made it nesasary for homologate. Just imagine if Porsche was able to take that many years racing and improving befor selling the cayenne. Personaly i think they could of raced it for possibly 1 to mabe 2 yrs befor release. I also wish porsche would beter connect all thier cars to motorsports, not just the 911like.
Me i can say 959 and Cayenne in the same sentence, but then again i didnt get heartburn from a bad pepper.....lol anyone want some 'TUMS"
or beter yet ''''''' COME ONNNNNNNN ICECREAMMMMMMM!!!""
Old 08-28-2006, 11:50 PM
tommytomaso
Burning Brakes

On a "ON TOPIC" remark.... i too think the pepper should have more "OFFROAD" gear
Prerunner fenders BIG beefie tires and mean looking rock shields. and dont forget the "SHANOOK" to fly in and lift us out when that damm "!" symbol, that i hear about shows up.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:29 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

I plan to use my Titanium for moderate off road use, It doesn't have the air suspension. I'll have to put some better tires on it and get a spare tire carrier. I had a MB M-class a few years back and it did all right as long as you plotted your coarse carefully.

I can't imagine anyone lifting a Cayenne, with big fat tires. The thought makes one want to hurl.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:37 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

http://www.volkswagen.co.jp/brand/to...kar/right.html
Old 08-29-2006, 09:50 PM
tommytomaso
Burning Brakes

thats a mean looking VW!!! ltc
Old 08-30-2006, 11:31 AM
farmerjohn
Advanced

Originally Posted by ChipAZ
I can't imagine anyone lifting a Cayenne, with big fat tires. The thought makes one want to hurl.

Really? I figured they need some credibility. The ones that I see are kind of wussy-looking. How about that butch spare-tire carrier that Porsche sells? The lowered, blinged-out, boulevard Cayennes make me want to hurl. If they want a low vehicle, they ought to get a sports car.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:32 AM
farmerjohn
Advanced

Now we're talkin'
Old 08-30-2006, 01:05 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Originally Posted by farmerjohn
Really? I figured they need some credibility. The ones that I see are kind of wussy-looking. How about that butch spare-tire carrier that Porsche sells? The lowered, blinged-out, boulevard Cayennes make me want to hurl. If they want a low vehicle, they ought to get a sports car.
That would really destroy the way the car tracks down the highway. One of the nice things about the Cayenne is it will cruise all day over a 100. Plus you can go off road too. Maybe not the Rubicon.

Seen a lot of lifted vehicles where you end up looking up at the pavement if you know what I mean.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:31 PM
charlieXS
Pro

Last night I was parking at a restaurant where you park off the road at the base of a big hill, probably 30 degrees up... just for fun I switched to low range and lightly accelerated about 25 feet up the hill over loose soil and dried grass. Absolutely ZERO effort compared to other 4x4's I've owned PLUS has the feature where when you let off the gas, it won't roll back.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:32 PM
farmerjohn
Advanced

ChipAZ: No doubt about the road performance suffering. I'm talking about a dedicated off-road machine. Probably would never exceed 45-55mph on the road.

JF

Quick Reply: Off-Road Cayennes