Sponsored by:

GT3 & Cayenne Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 07:32 PM
Tso GT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 & Cayenne Turbo

I am sorry if you don't find this as an interesting or useful topic but I really need help. I am going on a vacation and also to pick up a pair of GT3 seats, a pair of harness and a Porsche Tequipment Roll Bar with our Cayenne Turbo. Does anybody know whether they would all fit in the back of a Cayenne Turbo (I am also going to bring my wife and a 10 months old bably son). And no I don't have a trailer. Anyone coming up to the Watkins Glen from Central or Northern New Jersey in early September? Thank you very much for your help.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:14 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 580 Posts

I had a GT3 with the euro seats and tech bar. If you have a passenger in the back seats there is NO way that stuff will fit back there. I doubt they would all fit even with the seats put down...
Old 08-21-2006, 10:12 PM
Tso GT3
Instructor

Thanks skl. What are my options beside having them shipped? Would they fit in a Tahoe?
Old 08-21-2006, 11:06 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Option A:
Get a carrier/platform that fits the 2" receiver of the Cayenne, put the rollbar, in a box, on the platform, seats on the roof rack, again in a box. Not pretty, but it should work.
Option B:
Rent a UHaul trailer or borrow somebody's, small enough so you will NOT need a brake controller, just a 7-4pin adapter for the lights perhaps.
Option C: Excursion or Suburban.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:14 PM
skl
Rennlist Member

The bar (which has removable cross braces) should fit in a Suburban or Tahoe ok- the seats if in boxes will take up a bit of space but if they're loose, should fit with padding around the bar in the back of a Suburban with the middle and back seats down.
Good luck!
Old 08-21-2006, 11:15 PM
skl
Rennlist Member

Or you could borrow Lewis' powerstroke Excursion and take a spare engine or two as well!!!
Old 08-21-2006, 11:43 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by skl
Or you could borrow Lewis' powerstroke Excursion and take a spare engine or two as well!!!
Assuming the bride would agree.....I see another purchase from Tiffany's somehow involved...

You could borrow the Excursion, your entire family along for the ride, pulling your Cayenne, pulling my 20' enclosed aluminum car hauler, with your GT3, rollbar and seats, and, yes, even use the headlights
God, how I love that hunk of American engineering.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:33 AM
Tso GT3
Instructor

Originally Posted by ltc
Option A:
Get a carrier/platform that fits the 2" receiver of the Cayenne, put the rollbar, in a box, on the platform, seats on the roof rack, again in a box. Not pretty, but it should work.
Option B:
Rent a UHaul trailer or borrow somebody's, small enough so you will NOT need a brake controller, just a 7-4pin adapter for the lights perhaps.
Option C: Excursion or Suburban.

Thank you all for your help. If you can bear with me for a little more question since most of you guys have had tow trailers before.

Assuming I go with Option B, should I rent an open or enclosed trailer? Are you sure about not needing a brake controller? On UHaul website, they recommend 45 MPH with the trailer but I cruise around 90-100 MPH . Would it be a problem if I drive that fast with a trailer? I have no experience with a trailer but would love to learn more about it. I prefer not to ship the stuff because I afraid they ding it up. Where are you located ltc??
Old 08-22-2006, 10:43 AM
Tso GT3
Instructor

Would a GMC Envoy XL work?
Old 08-22-2006, 11:46 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Tso GT3
Assuming I go with Option B, should I rent an open or enclosed trailer? Are you sure about not needing a brake controller? On UHaul website, they recommend 45 MPH with the trailer but I cruise around 90-100 MPH . Would it be a problem if I drive that fast with a trailer? I have no experience with a trailer but would love to learn more about it. I prefer not to ship the stuff because I afraid they ding it up. Where are you located ltc??
OK, trailering at 90-100mph.....at those speeds it won't matter if you have electric brakes, surge brakes or no brakes. Not a recommended practice, especially if you have to change lanes! Not sure what the speed rating of the trailer tires would be, but 75-80 is about it IMHO.

A trailer under 1000#, single axle, does not require, nor come equipped with, electric brakes. The tow vehicle supplies the braking force. Of course, installing a brake controller is a plug in job, maybe 30 minutes tops.

You can rent a very small tow trailer from UHaul (large enough for seats and bar) from UHaul; I saw one being pulled by a new VW Beetle on the highway the other day......so I'm PRETTY certain that even a Cayenne is capable enough

Also, a small enclosed would not present any rear visibility issues, as the Cayenne does not have properly designed (telescoping) tow mirrors.
It is fairly easy learning to drive with a trailer. An hour or so in an empty parking lot and you are good to go.

I'm in MA, 75 miles SW of Boston, down on the RI border, in a small town with no traffic lights.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:36 PM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 209 Posts

Actually anything under 3500 lbs does not require nor usually come with trailer brakes. Rent a small 5x8 enclosed single axle from U-Haul and keep it under 80 and you'll be fine.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:13 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Cayenne unbraked trailer capacity = 750kg/1654lbs
Attached Images  
Old 08-22-2006, 11:16 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mjw930
Actually anything under 3500 lbs does not require nor usually come with trailer brakes..
I was under the impression that a single 3500# axle trailer does not have electric brakes, but it is the GWVR of the trailer that must be kept under 3000#; either way, the unbraked towing capacity of the Cayenne is well below 3500# (about half that number).

I've done braking tests in the past with my 2500# trailer and NO electric brakes.....hey, why not? I've done driving tests at 3:30AM with no lighting......

The Cayenne's brakes are quite good, but the first 5500# or so is being used to brake the pig, then add the (unbraked) trailer weight and you will find yourself being unable to stop where you want to......
Old 08-23-2006, 04:06 PM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
I was under the impression that a single 3500# axle trailer does not have electric brakes, but it is the GWVR of the trailer that must be kept under 3000#; either way, the unbraked towing capacity of the Cayenne is well below 3500# (about half that number).

I've done braking tests in the past with my 2500# trailer and NO electric brakes.....hey, why not? I've done driving tests at 3:30AM with no lighting......

The Cayenne's brakes are quite good, but the first 5500# or so is being used to brake the pig, then add the (unbraked) trailer weight and you will find yourself being unable to stop where you want to......
Yes, I was just going from what we've always used in the boating world but I just checked the NHTSA's website and it seems that 1500 lbs is the magic number in some states.

Regardless, I think the Pepper can tow 1500 lbs without brakes with no problem. Heck, I towed a 1600 lb trailer all over the east coast last summer behind my V70R without a problem. Even ran "The Dragon" with the trailer in tow

Quick Reply: GT3 & Cayenne Turbo