Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why it so hard to put a phone in a Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 09:28 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ChipAZ
Well the deal is after buying 170 grand worth of Porches, they better put the phone in the Cayenne for nothing.
Hmmn, at one point in my life, a Carrera GT was going to be in the garage, and likely a Panamera (if I ever grow up and get a 'mature' car....but my wife is pretty sure I'm not going to grow up).
Guess what? After the Cayenne 'experience', I didn't buy either one. Do you think Peter cared at all, even when informed in writing? Nope.
I don't know what MY Cayenne you have or what H/W version PCM, but I can tell you if it's pre 2.1, they're not going to give away a $5K install for gratis.

Or... I will never ever buy another car from them again.
Welcome aboard. You would be amazed how many 'older' special Porsches are out there looking for new homes...993 Turbo S factory slant nose (only 35 made IIRC), 73 RS, etc.

What I write in the survey won't be very friendly.
Right now, they're so profitable, they won't even blink an eye.

What I tell everyone at the PCA events won't be pretty either.
Depends on the particular crowd at the event. New demographic or old demographic. I was picking up my 968 Cab from the dealer (could sit on the showroom floor, polar silver paint, it is in excellent condition) and not a single 'new' Porsche owner even knew what it was, let alone it was actually a Porsche. If my Cup car were there, they would have been equally confused.
Welcome to the new Porsche, brought to you by Dr W and his 10 year plan.

I screw up one sale for them and they lose.
No, they will find someone else who will write them a check, that's the new business plan.
Remember the 'dark days', when PAG was on the verge of going under? Remember how much they valued their ownership base and loyal customers?
Most people at PAG/PCNA don't even remember the 80's and early 90's. You would not believe how many engineers work at PAG and don't know anything about the 'aircooled' Porsches.
I still remember the day the worker who made all of the WOODEN floorboards for the Porsches retired......everytime I climb into the Cup car, I look down at that black painted wooden floor board and smile.

Too much Kool-aid ruins their liversv
Yes, but it keeps our dear friend and forum bartender, MadFox, around.

We will see what happens tomorrow, I can always go up to Scottsdale and get a phone. Stay tuned.
We're always here, 24/7. Good luck.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:52 AM
phaedrus242
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I write in the survey won't be very friendly.
The thing about that is Porsche is not renewing their contract with JD Power as they've already beaten Lexus. Current JD Power surveys really don't mean much. There will be an internal auditing system put into place sometime around the fall. I wouldn't recommend the survey threat as a bargaining chip. Again, like ltc said, it seems quite unlikely that they'll comp a $5K install for you. Besides, with the volume they do in Scottsdale, some one else is waiting to buy. Good luck brother.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:37 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There going to look into comping it for me, They will probably meet me in the middle. The lesson I've learned is to get on the internet and find the car with the stuff that you want. Don't have a the dealer add on options. It's just a rat race on haggleing over the cost of the options.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:12 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Ok, this should be good. I just bought an 05 Ctt and I wanted the phone option. Dealer said he would sell it to me at his cost. When I get the info, we can compare notes, see who gets the "deal"..
Old 08-26-2006, 01:04 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Well the dealer is still checking or hedging on parts. I'm now dealing with the sales manager. He knows I'm going to throw a fit if he tells me It's going to cost 5 grand. But I am really enjoying this truck.

The phone works really well in my C2 Cab. Best car phone I ever had really.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:59 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Dealer says his price is $3,100 to install, at "cost"... Seems stupid expensive. Claims its $1,600 in "cost" parts and the rest in 16 hours of labor.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:04 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

That really helps my negotiating position. thanks
Old 08-29-2006, 09:15 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

LARRY!!! WELL!!! What is your thought? Could that be right. Could it really be $3,100 at COST! You know something is wrong when a phone install is = to roughly 5% of the cost of the car!!!! sigh. With this system, the PCM system, you just put a GSM card in the little slot and its all integreated, right? The guy also said the parts are $1,600. Is the install really a 16 hour job? Can a mortal do the install and would it take 2 days!!

Never mind, I went back and read your prior post on the matter. Seems like the "retail" cost is around $5k! So, $3,100 is right, its actually GOOD!!! Wow.... Larry, how does one get the little Porsche sheets describing the install? I believe there are 12 pages?
Old 08-29-2006, 03:25 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

ltc, I know, you/we have talked in the past about Bluet**th, but it just seems incredible those knuckleheads in Germany cannot include Bluet**th in their radio package. My Mom just got a M-B sedan with Bluet**th and Mom and Dad had to go out and spend about $150 for a phone so they could utilize the new, whiz bang technology called Bluet**th. Quite a bit cheaper than spending 5% of purchase price, eh?? Did I mention that I love my Bluet**th in my German-made A-3?
Old 08-29-2006, 10:13 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by yetis
Dealer says his price is $3,100 to install, at "cost"... Seems stupid expensive. Claims its $1,600 in "cost" parts and the rest in 16 hours of labor.

Forgive me for asking, is this is a PCM installation? You noted that your setup already has the SIM card tray (which tells me that this is a pretty current Cayenne). If that is true, I would think you have all you need once you pop the SIM card in. The only cellular providers here in the US that support/utilize GSM networks are Cingular and T-Mobile. If your cellular provider is one of those, pull your SIM card out of your cell phone and plop it in the SIM Card tray on the left side of the PCM unit. You should have a working hands-free phone. If not, and there are additional components to add to the PCM unit, this is going to be a long haul.

Operating from memory here (because the JavaScript wizards who maintain the Porsche USA site and Custom Config pages are testing our collective mettle tonight by NOT decoding order options into English). There is an add-on for the PCM to get cell phone support and I believe it requires a different PCM headunit (why in the world would we ever want MODULAR upgrades? ). There is also an add-on for the privacy handset, but I did not see you mention anything about the handset.

Are they telling you that you now need a new headunit for phone support? Doesn't seem correct, but who the heck am I to question these guys. Will be interested to hear what "parts" are being sourced.

As for the Phone Prep Kit installation, I do have that factory after-delivery feature installed and operational on my 2004 S with the CDR-23 headunit. In fact, I actually have a WORKING factory Bluetooth DSP adpater! Works great. But I digress....

16 hours of labor is about right - ask me how I know. I was one of the original, if not the first, installations of the prep kit in the country (that's the TSB Lewis posted earlier in the thread). Trust me, you DO NOT want to watch this installation - it's worse than watching sausage being made.

If you would like some details, I think I posted them here in the forum 2-3 years ago. They may have come out as gibberish though. I did the phone prep kit about the same time I was trying to get Bi-Xenon upgrades figured out (don't EVEN go there!).

Toby
Old 08-29-2006, 10:23 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Toby, I wish I had the SIM slot ! No, I just didn't know what sort of phone was installed with the retrofit. As for the install, I just saw the whole TSB for the install, and I just started laughing. Wow, its just stupid. You need to take the whole bloody car apart. Wires going all over the car....

Quick Reply: Why it so hard to put a phone in a Cayenne?