Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy a "chipped" 05' CTT.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 02:45 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you buy a "chipped" 05' CTT.

The ECU upgrade was done by Porsche of Naples and was also certified. How that works, I don't know. Am I asking for trouble? The alternative is an 05' CTT with the Porsche power kit for about $8k-$9k more.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:56 AM
phaedrus242
Instructor

Although the vehicle is certified, if you should ever have an engine/trans failure, PCNA needs to see data records stored in the DME to approve replacement. These data records will show that the DME was tampered with, and just like that ,you are on your own, left to fight with the dealer that sold the car as certified knowing that it was chipped. On the CPO inspection form, there is an area where all aftermarket modifications found during the inspection must be listed. Anything there? Do you have documented proof that the dealer knew the DME had been tampered with? Sounds ugly to me. Powerkit car sounds like the better option; less potential for headaches.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:36 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Thank you for the response. The power kit car was sold from under me. Still very bitter on that. The chipped one just had too much hair on it for me to handle. Thanks
Old 08-18-2006, 02:36 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

In general, I would never buy any 'chipped' turbo vehicle.
Engines (forced aspiration types), by design, have a shorter life when 'chipped', based on the simple fact that increasing boost/hp/intake temperatures place a higher stress on internals and thus shorten life.

Chipping a Cayenne Turbo seems again like putting lipstick on a pig, but whatever.

Not that a Turbo engine goes past 100K before needing work, but it's still not worth the hassle IMHO.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a "chipped" 05' CTT.