Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Titanium Edition - Not selling Well??

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 09:33 PM
VinnyC
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Titanium Edition - Not selling Well??

A local dealer has 3 Titanium edition CS sitting for a while now. I assumed they would either be pre-sold or sell quickly once they arrived in stock.

They have 2 Red and 1 Iceland Blue.
Seems like they are not moving well.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:12 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Put a pig in a (new) dress, it's still a pig in a (new) dress, just a prettier pig.

The Ti edition Cayenne, quickly conceived and brought to the market by PAG/PCNA, was simply an attempt to level off/boost sagging Cayenne sales.

It's just another exercise in badging from the new PAG; re: Turbo S (just a Turbo with a X50 style Powerkit and other parts already in the bins, 996 or Cayenne), and now the Titanium edition.
I'm not expecting the 'facelift' to do much better after the initial bump in sales from the 'gotta have it first' crowd.....and neither is PAG/PCNA.

In related news, the schedule for the introduction of the hybrid Cayenne is being moved up, in an attempt to bring it to market ASAP.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:49 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 962 Likes on 586 Posts

I know Dr W (maybe he should get some help from Dr Z) has said Porsche will never build a diesel (guess he didn't know about the tractors...) but a oil burner makes a hell of a lot more sense to me than a hybrid. MB is bringing out a diesel GL but unforunately only in a V6 that gets pretty good mileage. The V10 TDI would be an awesome engine in a Cayenne.. I ran into someone up at Road America who tows with a Toureg TDI and loves it... I know you have a new hybrid Escape Lewis and for running around town it is probably fun, but a diesel SUV or pickem up truck would really be practical...
Old 08-07-2006, 11:43 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by skl
I know Dr W (maybe he should get some help from Dr Z) has said Porsche will never build a diesel (guess he didn't know about the tractors...) but a oil burner makes a hell of a lot more sense to me than a hybrid.
Dr. W is not exactly known for admitting he was wrong or eating his words, so after the VAG/PAG "discussion" over the royalties on the (now) Q7, I still doubt Dr W would go back on his words and ask VAG for the TDI in the Cayenne (even if PAG owns 25% of VAG)
He feels the hybrid has more marketing advantage for Porsche...no, I don't know why either.

Originally Posted by skl
The V10 TDI would be an awesome engine in a Cayenne.. I ran into someone up at Road America who tows with a Toureg TDI and loves it...
As I've posted before (General Porsche Forum?) VAG is bringing back the V10 TDI in 2007/2008, based on the latest marketing plans. You are right, 500ft-lbs of torque is hard to beat.

Originally Posted by skl
I know you have a new hybrid Escape Lewis and for running around town it is probably fun, but a diesel SUV or pickem up truck would really be practical...
I love the hybrid Escape, even if it can't even tow the kart/trailer.....but for towing, we have:
Attached Images  
Old 08-08-2006, 12:15 AM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

ltc, would that be the "gitter done" model??
Old 08-08-2006, 12:27 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by pdxjim
ltc, would that be the "gitter done" model??
Yes sir....
The Cowboy Cadillac.
05 Excursion Eddie Bauer Edition Powerstroke diesel.....loaded.

12,000# towing capacity.....which means I could pull the Cayenne, pulling the trailer, with the Cup car inside

44 gallon tank, 4x4, heated seats, dual zone A/C, rear seat DVD w/wireless headphones, a true 'tow/haul' mode for the engine/transmission.....

And strangely enough, no "!" when you plug in ANY trailer. Go figure.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:10 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 962 Likes on 586 Posts

Hey Lewis, can I borrow the Excursion next weekend????????
Old 08-08-2006, 09:24 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VinnyC
A local dealer has 3 Titanium edition CS sitting for a while now. I assumed they would either be pre-sold or sell quickly once they arrived in stock.

They have 2 Red and 1 Iceland Blue.
Seems like they are not moving well.
I would have to agree. Did you happen to check how many CTTS's they had on the lot? My dealer was not mincing words when we started talking about the TurboS. Seems as though Porsche didn't really give them the option, they just came.

With the current "fad" not favoring SUV's, especially really inefficient ones, I cannot see how a dealer would be really thrilled about all the inventory. I guess the only saving grace is that winter is coming, so I guess SUV sales should firm up??? Then again, the CTTS doesn't even come with winter tires. Poor salesman, that must always be an awkward conversion. Here are the keys to your new SUV, oh by the way; you cannot drive it in the snow.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:47 PM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The marketing folks at Porsche seem to be disconnected from reality. They can't expect to sell meg-bucks cars on large volume within the SUV segment. They can get away with it in the sportscar segment because they have a very unique product coupled with excellent reliability compared to their peers.

The Titanium Edition cars are nice to look at, but how many people care to drive a bright red car with a two tone interior on a daily basis? Also, the original expectation was that the TE would offer better value. In reality, majority of these cars in the dealers' inventories come with various options that boost the price back up to the $70K range. By doing so, they lose the buyers motivated by value.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:13 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Another negative with the TTS model is that it will not take 18" rims(which I have snows mounted on), requiring existiing owners to upgrade their winter tire/rim inventory.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:13 PM
bigboy
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skl
I know Dr W (maybe he should get some help from Dr Z) has said Porsche will never build a diesel (guess he didn't know about the tractors...) but a oil burner makes a hell of a lot more sense to me than a hybrid. .
I thought there was an emission problem with V10 TDI in California, which is why you can't buy one here. I'd love to have one, but if Porsche can't sell into one of its biggest markets within its biggest market, does it make sense to offer it?
Old 08-08-2006, 08:39 PM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by bigboy
I thought there was an emission problem with V10 TDI in California, which is why you can't buy one here. I'd love to have one, but if Porsche can't sell into one of its biggest markets within its biggest market, does it make sense to offer it?
And New York and a couple other states. It's because "clean" diesel wasn't redilly available in the US in '04. That is changing as we are switching over (kicking and screaming) to cleaner burning (low sulpher I think) diesel so you'll see a lot more of the European TDI motors making their way to the states. Now, if we could just equalize the BS taxation that makes diesel more expensive than gasoline and you would have a ton of people making the switch.

Quick Reply: Titanium Edition - Not selling Well??