Sponsored by:

Towing success.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 01:15 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing success.

So I finally took delivery of my trailer. A 20' aluminum Pace Silver Arrow.
For the brake controller I chose Tekonsha Voyager.
Everything seems to work but I do get the ! from the dash. The lights work. Are there any other negative consequences to seeing the ! other than annoyance?

Towing a trailer is a new experience for me but it seems to be pretty stable with the car inside. Gas consumption is higher, and I have to be much more careful changing lanes but there is plenty of pulling power and it certainly is much more comfortable inside the Pepper than in my M3 with race suspension.

Big thanks to Chris M. "Crazy Canuck" for all the help and assistance. It would have been much more difficult on my own.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:09 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I think your problem is with the LED lights on the Silver Arrow. I just took delivery of my 20' Pace to transport my 996 to the track and not a single ! to be seen. I went with the "standard" lights to prevent this. I am pretty sure it comes down to lighting and the use of LED's since the Cayenne seems to think you are driving sans lights since there is not a very large draw from the LEDs.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:13 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Forgot to add......big ups for Chris as well from here! He was very instrumental in my decision process when buying my trailer. I didn't know the difference b/t a torsion suspension and a leaf spring suspension when I started my research or the diff b/t radials and bias ply tires, etc, etc, etc. Chris helped me make sure I got the best trailer for my needs and wallet. Awesome guy and really knows his stuff.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:55 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe I have standard lights. I will check again but LEDs were an extra $ option if I remember it right. In any case the lights work and I do a visual inspection every time I hook it up.

Maybe there will be a software update for the Cayenne. LOL. Probably after we watch airborne pigs over ice in hell.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:09 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

HMMMM.....not sure then. I thought the model you got had LED lights but I could be wrong. IF you have the standard lights (like I do) then the next troubleshooting item would be HOW MANY lights are there. It's a fine line with the Cayenne tow control module. If you have to few amps drawn, then ! but if you have to many amps drawn, then !

I acutally took my Cayenne to the local Pace dealer AFTER the towing package was installed, software updated at the dealer, and brake controller installed and then plugged it into several brands of trailers. The PACE Rallye was the winner for me! Absolutely love the trailer. It' a mobile garage
Old 08-04-2006, 08:40 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Thanks guys for the accolades. I have to say our operation is truly a team effort. Individually any one of us couldn't do what we do in a day. Our techs, our sales guys, our parts/service guys all work together (most of the time!) to service our clients as efficiently as possible. The key for us is that I insist that everyone in my operation keep an open mind and keep learning. Most of the stuff I pick up is from talking to the guys. They teach me new things as well. My guys genuinely like to come to work (most days) which helps immensely. Anybody who doesn't won't work there for long.

I don't mind lending an opinion or assistance to people who want to learn and know more about towing. I learned the hard way - experience. It's really frustrating when someone thinks they know it all, doesn't at least consider what I/we have to say and then has an awful time towing.

Glad to hear everyone is happily towing their cars safely. I couldn't believe how stable Andrei's Cayenne was towing the trailer. Andrei you should be proud of your setup. It truly is first class. I'm sure you will get a lot of attention when you roll into the paddock for the first time. The guys really liked your M3 last night as well.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:56 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
I couldn't believe how stable "insert any name here" Cayenne was towing the trailer.
Neither could I till I did it. Not to mention towing a total of 14K# (trailer, truck, and cargo) cross country 2500 miles! I am very happy. Can't wait to see what my Cayenne options are when my lease is up in 24 months
Old 08-04-2006, 09:58 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by LVDell
Can't wait to see what my Cayenne options are when my lease is up in 24 months
Cayenne Turbo S. It's calling you ". . . . Dell . . . you know you want me . . . Dell . . . .you need me . . . "
Old 08-04-2006, 10:02 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

and 05 or 06TT CPO when I give back this 05 is just what is needed
Old 08-04-2006, 10:06 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by LVDell
and 05 or 06TT CPO when I give back this 05 is just what is needed
You and I think alike. We should never ever ever go shopping for Porsches or Porsche stuff together.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:11 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

The ladies would not be happy with that plan! Either that, or I would see a large charge on the next months CC bill that simply states:

Tiffany and CO. misc items $XX,XXX
Old 08-04-2006, 10:20 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Next year is going to be expensive. New track opening 45 min from my house . . .

I'm just imagining all the tires, brake pads, rotors etc. I'll be going through along with the car . . . rollbar, rims, seats, harnesses, nitrous, supercharger, intercooler, fenderflares, massive wing, speed holes, flame paint job. It's going to be fun!
Old 08-04-2006, 10:23 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Next year is going to be expensive. New track opening 45 min from my house . . .

I'm just imagining all the tires, brake pads, rotors etc. I'll be going through along with the car . . . rollbar, rims, seats, harnesses, nitrous, supercharger, intercooler, fenderflares, massive wing, speed holes, flame paint job. It's going to be fun!
Whatta ya think the rest of life is going to be like now that I am 1 hour from VIR?

So much for retirement!
Old 08-04-2006, 10:26 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by amaist
Everything seems to work but I do get the ! from the dash. The lights work.
I'm speechless......how could this have possibly happened.......who could have predicted such an outcome........where are the defenders of the Cayenne Faithful (after all, this is happening to someone OTHER than "you know who's" Cayenne)

Are there any other negative consequences to seeing the ! other than annoyance?
Apart from difficulty removing racer's tape residue from your paint/bodywork and your Maglites AND a few hundred spent D cell batteries......no, not really.

And now, the non English translation:
Amaist:
ltc:

I'm dying to hear what the next move is........
Old 08-04-2006, 10:28 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe there will be a software update for the Cayenne. LOL. Probably after we watch airborne pigs over ice in hell.
Yes, the update will be packaged together with the CDROM NAV updates.

Quick Reply: Towing success.