Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Plate

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 08:12 PM
pcst
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just use the OEM front plate parts to have it on properly, no need to get hassled by cops.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:45 AM
leek
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default license plate holder

On my 08 Barrier included a holder that had fasteners that hook anywhere in the CTT Grill. No drilling was required
Old 04-24-2010, 11:18 AM
richc
Pro

Originally Posted by 993-C4S
I only need mine to pass MA state inspection. Plate has to be "properly" installed where "properly" is at the discretion of the inspector. Once you pass inspection you can elect to take the plate off and take your chances of adding to your fine if you get pulled over for some other infraction.
I remember trying to get a VW bus with no floor (rusted out) thru one of those inspections in MA. They failed me when one of the headlight assemblies fell out, it was badly rusted too. I gave the bus to a friend I'd known at Stanford who was in grad school at MIT and quickly returned to Kalif. I'd had enough of MA by then.

If you all you need to do is pass, get some bailing wire and tie it on somewhere. It'll really contribute to the overall classy look of the Pig, and be easily taken off with some snips. Or...slip the guy doing the inspection the appropriate amount of cash, that was a common sure way to pass when I lived there in the late 70's.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:51 AM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by richc
I remember trying to get a VW bus with no floor (rusted out) thru one of those inspections in MA. They failed me when one of the headlight assemblies fell out, it was badly rusted too. I gave the bus to a friend I'd known at Stanford who was in grad school at MIT and quickly returned to Kalif. I'd had enough of MA by then.

If you all you need to do is pass, get some bailing wire and tie it on somewhere. It'll really contribute to the overall classy look of the Pig, and be easily taken off with some snips. Or...slip the guy doing the inspection the appropriate amount of cash, that was a common sure way to pass when I lived there in the late 70's.

MA has changed so much it's crazy. The guys in CA think they have it tough, I think MA is far worse. You can't use bailing wire, tiedowns, straps, etc. They are all specifically excluded. Originally, I thought it was at the discretion of the inspector. However, after a discussion with a local garage, turns out the state regulates everything, including how the plate can be attached. The good news is, I found a good solution, just waiting for it to arrive. Once installed, I can get a sticker, remove it and will have no holes in the bumper. :-)

On a side note, we took our 993 in for an inspection last week (it needed a smog inspection this year) and it passed with no issues!!!
Old 04-25-2010, 10:29 AM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

MA has changed so much it's crazy. The guys in CA think they have it tough, I think MA is far worse. You can't use bailing wire, tiedowns, straps, etc. They are all specifically excluded. Originally, I thought it was at the discretion of the inspector. However, after a discussion with a local garage, turns out the state regulates everything, including how the plate can be attached. The good news is, I found a good solution, just waiting for it to arrive. Once installed, I can get a sticker, remove it and will have no holes in the bumper. :-)

On a side note, we took our 993 in for an inspection last week (it needed a smog inspection this year) and it passed with no issues!!!
You need to find a new inspection station. All they check on my car is that the horn works, and of course the ODB II readiness check. Basically the attitude is if it can break after they checked and it isn't obvious, they don't check. They may mention "hey you need to attach your plate up front"
Old 04-26-2010, 01:45 AM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by touareg
You need to find a new inspection station. All they check on my car is that the horn works, and of course the ODB II readiness check. Basically the attitude is if it can break after they checked and it isn't obvious, they don't check. They may mention "hey you need to attach your plate up front"

Great! Where do you go??
Old 04-26-2010, 11:24 AM
richc
Pro

In an earlier post, I'd mentioned that when I bought my '09 Pig 18 months ago the dealer in Kalif forget to put the license plate thing on the car. I was wrong. Last night I lifted up that cover where the spare tire sits and there was the complete attachment kit - and it was in the color of the Pig (macadamia). It was nicely wrapped up. I'd never looked in that compartment. Like I've said, all I do is drive the thing.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:06 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole
Unfortunately in many states it is illegal not to run a front plate. By doing so you are just giving the cops a free reason to stop you. Which could really suck if you are driving home after a few glasses of wine with dinner.

I hate to sound like an outlaw but I agree 100%. Obviously if a cop wants to pull you over he will come up with something, even if he has to make it up, but I'll be damned if I am going to give every single one of them a built-in excuse. I would rather not have a front plate, and would like to have a bunch of tinting...but sometimes you've got to have the bigger picture in mind!
Old 04-27-2010, 10:54 AM
richc
Pro

I've never put a front plate on my Pig and have not been stopped. I have been stopped multiple times for no front plate in both my 997's in more than one state. I think they're laughing so hard at the Pig with Porsche badging that they lose interest in pulling it over. The discussion in the 997's goes like this "I've got the part on order to put the plate on, right now it's in the trunk waiting for the part to arrive." Then they let me go. Luckily I've never run into the same cop twice. I continue to run them all with no plate. I don't drink and drive - at all. I don't need to give them a reason to hassle me.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:55 AM
wirunner
Pro

I haven't run a front plate in 5 years and never been stopped across many states (although a front plant isn't required in much of the South - smart people). I also have my front windows tinted, although matching the p!gs rear windows doesn't require a very dark tint (rears are 37% on p!gs) so that's probably not a problem to most cops...

However, I do carry the bracket and plate around just in case since my bumper unfortunately was holed by the prev CA owner.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:25 AM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Our new tow hook bracket arrive. will post pics once installed.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:08 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Where'd you buy it from?
Old 05-06-2010, 01:29 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Our new tow hook bracket arrive. will post pics once installed.
Any news? I need to replace mine and am curious to see pics!
Old 05-06-2010, 06:02 PM
is.deleon
Track Day

I also had to install plates on mine , it was a sad day...
Old 05-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,435 Likes on 897 Posts

Indiana doesn't require (of even offer) front plates, so I've never had one. With my move to Colorado in a few weeks, I'll need to mount one. The problem I have is that I already drilled out the holes in my bumper to put Bumper Plugs there. I'm hoping that I'll still be able to mount a plate easily.

I think I'm going to leave the front plate off the 996. It will get driven so infrequently, the risk of a ticket is low.

I hate front license plates.

Quick Reply: Front Plate