Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy a Titanium Edition CS or wait for 2008 model?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 01:35 PM
jkseger
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buy a Titanium Edition CS or wait for 2008 model?

Hi all,

I am seriously considering the purchase of a Titanium Edition but I have a few questions and after visiting other forums, I have realized that this forum is the best place to ask them (for better or worse).

1. I read on another forum that the 2008 Cayenne S will have 380hp, for a 40hp jump. The poster says that this has been confirmed but anyone else know for sure?

2. Does anyone know if there will be a different phone interface so you don't have to use a GSM carrier? I currently have CDMA and would love to keep my one line instead of doing the one GSM line and using call forwarding everytime I get in the vehicle.

3. If anyone is in a simialr situation as me, are you at all concerned about the mp3 player interface constantly being delayed? There is no way that a non-mp3 playing cd changer is going to help me. So, if I were to purchase the TE, it would be with the hope that a solution would be forthcoming.

Would any of the above issues prohibit you from buying the TE over waiting for the 08's? My thought is that unless the TE blows me away due to its unique qualities, I might be better off waiting.

I realize that some of these issues might be a little trivial but they are important to me. I plan to keep the car for awhile so I'd like to enjoy it as much as possible.

I appreciate your help. And thank you to everyone for answering many of my other questions already and providing new questions that I wouldn't have thought to ask.

John
Chicago, IL
Old 07-17-2006, 01:54 PM
charlieXS
Pro

I'm gonna wait til 07... if the V6 is 285hp++ I'll take the V6. If the CS stays around 340-350... the V6 is smarter. If the CS goes north of 380hp then I'll take a CS.

I just wish the 08 Cayenne looked like a 997 with round headlights.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:30 PM
jkseger
Intermediate

Thanks for your input. I wonder if they'll offer any different colors.

My interest in the TE is because of the Pure Red. It's about time that a manufacturer steps out the norm and offeres something more sport-oriented.

I would love a speed Yellow one, but I'll wait until I can get a Turbo. lol

John
Old 07-17-2006, 06:15 PM
charlieXS
Pro

Yeah a speed Yellow Cayenne'd be HOT.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:09 PM
jkseger
Intermediate

Anyone else care to chime in?

I was just reading the "discount on the 06 CS" thread and everyone in there seemed to think waiting was the better idea unless you got an unbelievable price on the '06.

On another note, another option I'd love to see on the Pepper would be ventilated seats. We had a heat index of 105 in Chicago today. And it wasn't a dry heat...hot and sticky. Ventilated seats would have been nice today!!

John
Old 07-17-2006, 09:29 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

No infotainment platform changes currently scheduled for the facelift (I was not impressed when I saw it.....no, don't ask how/where); that is reserved for the 'new/redesigned' Cayenne....sometime in 2010; in other words, expect the same phone/MP3 functionality you have now.......

Request for special colors: denied. They are painted at the VW factory and shipped to Leipzig, so you get what you get.

Request for ventilated seats: none currently in development/planned pre 2010.

Enjoy your Cayenne.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:34 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

ltc: That is a large and ancient desert they have their heads stuck in!!
Old 07-17-2006, 09:46 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by pdxjim
ltc: That is a large and ancient desert they have their heads stuck in!!
I know I'll once again earn the wrath of some forum members by saying this, but who gives a ****.....

No, they actually don't have their heads stuck in the sand, quite the contrary.

As a matter of fact, they think it's funny that Americans will continue to buy ANYTHING with the Porsche crest. They are laughing all the way to the bank.

They have spent a lot of $$ on demographics analysis, market research and know that in the end, you'll buy it, for fear of PAG going away if you don't continue to be loyal to the marque.

The Boxster made in Finland was first, then came the Cayenne/Touareg VW unibody, next up is the Panamera. Now that PAG owns 27% (IIRC) of VAG, expect to see more and more VAG content, assembly facilities used in the design and manufacture of PAG vehicles.

Believe me, 4-5 years ago, I was terrified of the thought of PAG being bought by another company and the 911 being terminated, at least before I had a chance to own my first Porsche.
Then I came to discover it was just a marketing shell game by Dr W.....and in the process the 996/997 became the "Hondas of Porsches", leaving only the GT2, GT3 and Cup cars as 'true 911's'.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:24 AM
jkseger
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ltc
No infotainment platform changes currently scheduled for the facelift (I was not impressed when I saw it.....no, don't ask how/where); that is reserved for the 'new/redesigned' Cayenne....sometime in 2010; in other words, expect the same phone/MP3 functionality you have now.......
So I wasn't aware there was any phone/mp3 functionality. I already know feeling on this from previous posts and I also understand your inability to speak frankly on the whole Dension topic but might you be suggesting that you feel confident that sometime in the near future there would be a retrofit solution for the phone as well.

I can't imagine that Porsche would go another 4 years without at least having some sort of mp3/bluetooth (or just the ability to have another network) in place.

Thanks again,

John

PS. my salesrep called me tonight saying they got a pure red TE in today, though I plan on getting one with more options.

Last edited by jkseger; 07-18-2006 at 11:10 AM. Reason: misspelled frankly
Old 07-18-2006, 08:19 AM
jdn17
8th Gear

Originally Posted by jkseger
my salesrep called me tonight saying they got a pure red TE in today, though I plan on getting one with more options.
Not sure if it is the same one, but they had new red one in the service area at the exchange last night. I was thinking it may have been "the color" when I saw it in pictures, but I must say that I didn't have the same feeling after seeing it in person. It was very unique looking though. If you get a chance you should make a drive by to check it out.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:38 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I already know feeling on this from previous posts and I also understand your inability to speak frnakly on the whole Dension topic
I thought I've been pretty frank on the whole densionusa/dice MOST iPod adapter. Hell, I'm the one who keeps digging up the thread and updating the 'anyday now' or '4-6 weeks' reply so people can mark their calendars.
Apart from that, I do get a laugh out of the whole fiasco; ironically I've had a iPod/MOST adapter for a few years (built one for kicks), but I don't own an iPod and dont' own a Cayenne.....see sig

but might you be suggesting that you feel confident that sometime in the near future there would be a retrofit solution for the phone as well.
There are currently zero companies working on such a product, as it is pretty much the exclusive domain of Becker (Harmon Kardon company), the sole supplier of MOST headunits (except for a company in Japan we dont' talk about)
Now, are you sitting down.........
OK, so let's assume that PAG does come up with a phone/MP3/Bluetooth upgrade/module in a newer vehicle.
Who says they're going to offer such a retrofit/upgrade to an existing Cayenne owner?
Does the phrase "CD-ROM NAV UPGRADE" mean anything to you?
Does the phrase "If you want the new features, buy the new Porsche" sound about right?.....of course wtih a German accent.

They still have not offered satellite radio to 997/987 owners yet, but there are a LOT of very happy 997/987 owners who have installed the Cayenne MOST XM/Sirius satellite radio kit in their 997/987's........I wonder who could have possibly helped figure out that it would work? Hmmmn.....probably just some a-hole that no one likes or listens to......never mind.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/250615-i-have-satellite-radio-in-my-997-c4s-cab.html

I can't imagine that Porsche would go another 4 years without at least having some sort of mp3/bluetooth (or just the ability to have another network) in place.
There was a decision made a while ago by PAG to 'decouple' the introduction of infotainment devices/designs and new model releases....it was becoming too difficult to get the bugs out of the cars AND the electronics in time for a major release.....so, as new infotainment devices (i.e.: headunits, MOST devices, etc) become available, they will be rolled into current vehicle production.
So, the next scheduled release is the PCM3 headunit (required by the lawyers at the DLTA in order to provide DTCP to transport copyrighted digital content (re: DVD-A, DVD-D) over MOST) is 09, likely coincident with the Panamera. It's likely that after that, it will be introduced into the redesigned Cayenne.

Thanks again,
John
You're welcome.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:33 PM
jkseger
Intermediate

Thanks ltc for the link to the sat post. I actually read all 27 pages. It sure makes me think that there might be some early adopters of an mp3 solution sometime in the future if it ever comes to fruition.

Anyway, let's see if I can sum up...

As long as I could live without

1. ever having an integrated mp3 solution
2. ever having an integrated Verizon phone solution (bluetooth or other)
3. the increase in hp that may be in the 08 CS (any word on this?)

And I could get a great deal, I would be fine purchasing the 06 TE.

Does that sound about right?

John

PS. I really am not sure I could live without the mp3 functionality (not referring to the in-dash playback functionality).
Old 07-18-2006, 02:36 PM
jkseger
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jdn17
Not sure if it is the same one, but they had new red one in the service area at the exchange last night. I was thinking it may have been "the color" when I saw it in pictures, but I must say that I didn't have the same feeling after seeing it in person. It was very unique looking though. If you get a chance you should make a drive by to check it out.
I actually live right by MotorWerks in Barrington so that is the dealer I was referring to.

When I was reading the sat post that ltc linked to, there were some positive comments about the Porsche Exchange, well at least in reference to the sat infotainment knowledge anyway.

Does anyone have any info they would care to share about any of the Chicagoland dealers?

Thanks,

John
Old 07-18-2006, 11:06 PM
jkseger
Intermediate

Default I now have seen the Pure Red in person!!!

Hi all,

I just got back from the dealer to view the TE in Pure Red. Here are some observations.

- The Pure Red looks absolutely fantastic.
- The titanium trim on everything but the mirrors and the 19" wheels look great.
- The titanium finish on the mirrors looks a little gaudy from the front, though my wife thought it looked good.
- The 19" sport design wheels (standard on the TE) are a little too dark. I think it would look much better with the 20" sport techno option as they would be a bit bigger with less material.
- The two tone interior (this one was black/grey) on the dash is great. It definitely livens up the interior (I contrasted it with regular grey and black interiors on other CS's).
- The aluminum dials look terrific. They are not white as some people have suggested. They go well with the car.
- The two-tone seats are not as inviting. I was disappointed at first but they started to grow on me after being on the lot and going back and forth between the TE and the other two CS's that has the regular black and grey interiors. It's alomost is if the two tone created a nice blend bewteen black and grey.
- The most hideous thing was the black floormats on the grey carpet. If I do buy a TE this is the first thing I'll replace.
- The quad tipped exhaust adds a more sporty look to it.
- The titanium colored grill looks really nice against the pure red paint. It definitely stands out more than the black grill would.

I hope you found this info useful. Let me know if you have any questions. I would have taken pictures but I met my wife at the dealer straight form work and didn't hae a chance to grab a camera.

John
Old 07-19-2006, 03:52 AM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What was the MSRP of the TE car that you saw? What kind of options did it have on it beyond those provided by the edition? If you decided to deal on the car, I'd be curious to see how much room there is for negotiation vs. a standard car.

I was facing the same dilemma as you do around 3 weeks ago. I ended up buying a standard car because of the following reasons:
1. I figured I could get a bigger discount that way. I need my price after negotiations to be in the 50's. It would be hard to do this with a TE, because MSRP is near $65K before any option is added.
2. I found a car with exactly the options list I wanted.
3. I must have soft-look leather seats, which I doubt is available in a TE car
4. Unlike many people, I don't want navigation, which comes with the TE. 90% of the time I drive around the Bay Area, and I already have a map of the place in my head.
5. The only color I see myself buying with a TE is the Marine Blue Metallic. Most dealers won't get that color until after September. That's too long a wait for me.

I also thought about the facelifted model next year. My reasons for not going that route are:
1. I don't like the more aggressive look seen in the spy photos. I prefer the friendly face of the current model. I also don't like the rear treatment on the facelift, with the two humps on the bumper removed, and the lights enlarged.
2. If they further increase the horsepower, the gas mileage will likely be even lower
3. Not as much leverage on price with a new model.
4. Potential bugs.

Quick Reply: Buy a Titanium Edition CS or wait for 2008 model?