Towing a Travel Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 08:10 PM
Brett M
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing a Travel Trailer

Hello all-

I am ooking at getting my wife a Cayenne S. I tow a Ski Nautique and a 23 foot travel trailer (the Nautique gets pulled over the pass Washington State passes about every other weekend). My question is how will the Cayenne tow these 4000-4500lb items over the pass?

And, I need to deal with brake controller and light hook-ups? I have read horror stories about the lighting system?

Any info is appreciated, our current Tahoe just is not that fun to drive anymore when I get out of the S4 or 914/6.

Brett
Old 06-12-2006, 08:12 PM
Zin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UH OH! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Brett, do a search and you will find plenty of info. You could just search for (!) and probably find what you want too.

I'm going to take cover now....
Old 06-12-2006, 08:19 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You will have little problem in terms of power, the brake controller and lights need carefull thought.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:39 PM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 209 Posts

Yep, duck and cover are in order....

Well actually it's not that bad. You really just need to look after these few issues

1. Don't use LED lights but if you must then purchase the U-Haul LED load balancer and run it in-line or wire it into the trailer's lighting system
1a. Don't try to drive too many lights as in some of the car haulers that have about 20 running lights
2. Use a standard, analog brake controller. Wiring documents and parts list can be found with a simple search
3. Make sure your towing controller is set to the USA option
4. If you have a choice get PASM (air suspension). It should be standard with the tow package IMHO
5. Although many here tow with the V6 I would stick with the S or CTT considering the size of what you are towing.

That's about it and you should have no problems.

See Lewis, I do listen

Last edited by mjw930; 06-12-2006 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:32 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have towed with the PASM and without and there is no way I would go without. Regardless of where I put the car in the trailer, I have to pull out the floor jack to raise the rear enough to get the tongue support on/off. The truck sags severely and really lightens up the front end which is simply not safe or efficient.

The PASM cures all of these ills and assists in hooking/unhooking the trailer to the hitch.

I know the trailer lights have caused some headache but personally, I do not think it is a big deal to pull 3 of 20 bulbs on the top/front of the trailer for all the lights to work. I know, blah, blah, blah, but Lewis' issue is the ONLY one that I have heard of that is so severe. Mine is on '04 and a simple fix for the Prodigy controller and all works fine. I love the truck and feel that it is a top-notch, midsize tow vehicle.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:22 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/279359-how-about-a-good-towing-story-i-have-one.html
Old 06-13-2006, 11:09 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JPhillips-998
I know the trailer lights have caused some headache but personally, I do not think it is a big deal to pull 3 of 20 bulbs on the top/front of the trailer for all the lights to work..
The 3 and 20 numbers are a bit aribitrary (as incandescent lights/loads vary), but the idea is simple and been discussed many time prior.....get as close as possible to the assumed trailer lighting load and you will have no issues/problems at all.
Again, the system works as designed, it was simply designed under incorrect assumptions regarding the application of in vehicle bulb diagnostics to a trailer lighting system whose configuration, by design, can NOT be known a priori.

Originally Posted by JPhillips-998
I know, blah, blah, blah, but Lewis' issue is the ONLY one that I have heard of that is so severe.
Thank you for thinking/mentioning me in the same paragraph as trailer lighting.

BTW, there have been other (documented) issues of "so severe".
Hypothetically speaking, perhaps the reason you don't hear it often is due to a legally binding non disclosure agreement between the parties involved once the issue is resolved.
Of course, I would have no knowledge or experience in an area such as this.....

Quick Reply: Towing a Travel Trailer