Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For all you doubters....the Cayenne V6 tows.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 09:20 PM
ryangambrill
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Air Suspension on my V10. It is great. Eventually it will be perfect for towing a trailer with a track car!!!
Old 09-17-2010, 01:24 AM
Papparaz
7th Gear

Originally Posted by cordsig79
@Papparaz.....I rarely use tiptronic if PSM is off unless I need to shift to a higher gear because it stays in gear much longer.

From my understanding these transmissions have adaptive technology that looks for patterns in your usage when PSM is on, so it should be able to factor in the grades after some responsive driving on your behalf to address the hills and engage a lower gear. thats for regular highway driving.......

now I will turn of PSM in the hills of austin or towing so I am always in the mid 2-3k rpm range and it helps on the decline too by engine braking......

used the dealer for my hitch and it was only 1500........maybe there is a different bracket for the 6's but i dont imagine thought to be true, my buddy bought an S at the same time......they charged him 4800 dollars at the same dealership and he flipped when he saw what I paid.

ALWAYS USE PREMIUM GAS.......I look at turning off PSM when towing as the old days of turning off O/D, it doesnt eat up those higher gears with the added strain on the tranny.
Thanks Cordsig. Dealer quoted $2500 without wiring. When I had a rough idle, the service deparment told me to use minimum 94 octane instead of 92 which is also premium. It has helped. Now that you mention it, I recall not having any trouble at all with gearing when I drove into the rocky mountains unloaded. I decided to use that trip's photo as my avatar. The waterfall in the background is hard to see.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Papparaz; 09-17-2010 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Add photo
Old 09-18-2010, 10:46 AM
leek
Rennlist Member

I tow 22' grady white over Cascades and Rockies, you want to use manual on the steeper ascents and decents. It does pretty well even with this kind of weight (close to #7000). I do get lots of inquiries about the size of the vehicle compared to the GW.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:49 AM
Vince964T
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also tow a pretty big trailer, 5500lbs with race car tyres and tools with a V6 pepper.
I agree a S would be better as soon at you are going uphill, happily I live in a flat country so it works fine otherwise I would get annoyed.
I always put it on manual. Mainly downshifting early and managing your speed and rpms on uphill and downhill saves a lot of gas.
Overall fuel consumption is actually ok and stability is good.

Not the best tow truck but does the trick with good comfort.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:33 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This makes me think we all value the 6ers like our children.........maybe we can start our own threads .

Here is some quick ok pics of the wakeboard boat and one extra snow pic.
Attached Images     
Old 09-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Vince964T
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am all with you, can't wait to get some snow on the road ;-)
Old 09-26-2010, 06:19 PM
Papparaz
7th Gear

Originally Posted by cordsig79
This makes me think we all value the 6ers like our children.........maybe we can start our own threads .

Here is some quick ok pics of the wakeboard boat and one extra snow pic.
Cordsig...Nice rig.
Where was the snow pic taken? I didn't think it ever snowed that much in Dallas. My winter tires will go on all our vehicles in 2 to 4 weeks.

I'm off to look for a discussion on everyone's favourite topic - mud guards. Went on an oiled road very slowly but splattered all over. Bug and tar remover worked fine on smooth metal areas but not the rough bottom areas (plastic "skirt"). While wiping, I noticed some pitting and paint damage. I have only driven a short distance on gravel at low speed and hope that is not the cause. Previous owner (or dealer I bought from?) has the mud flaps in front of the tires???!!! I ordered a set for behind the tires and hopefully, I can install them myself.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:05 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Papparaz
Cordsig...Nice rig.
Where was the snow pic taken? I didn't think it ever snowed that much in
that snow was from last winter in DFW we had a "huge" snow storm......maybe 6-8 inches ........really was alot when the city isnt equipped to handle ice on trees and power lines along with ice on the roads.........no support infrastructure.

Mudguards....speaking of these....i was traveling in between Dallas and Austin this weekend when a Semi with no trailer ran over some roadkill however the roadkill became wedged in between the 2 tires and it fired it like a pitching machine straight up, before the mudflaps and almosts sprayed me with road kill.............yuck
Old 10-03-2010, 02:26 PM
Papparaz
7th Gear

Not many cities are equipped to handle that much wet snow in a short period of time.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:02 AM
Firebird2
Track Day

Hi guys,

Looking to buy 2011 diesel and trying to work out if I will need the Air suspension. Will be towing a Yamaha 242L boat that has a ball/tongue weight of 260lbs. What sort of ball weight do you guys have and does the steel spring suspension handle it ok.

The suspension will be either PASM or Air with PASM. If the standard suspension can handle that ball weight then I would most likely not get the Air as with the maximum speed limit where I live 65mph it would never use the two lower settings.

Cheers
Old 12-19-2010, 03:15 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 144 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebird2
Hi guys,

Looking to buy 2011 diesel and trying to work out if I will need the Air suspension. Will be towing a Yamaha 242L boat that has a ball/tongue weight of 260lbs. What sort of ball weight do you guys have and does the steel spring suspension handle it ok.

The suspension will be either PASM or Air with PASM. If the standard suspension can handle that ball weight then I would most likely not get the Air as with the maximum speed limit where I live 65mph it would never use the two lower settings.

Cheers
Porsche doesn't offer a diesel option: V6 gas, V6 Hybrid, V8 gas, Turbo.

Edit: Unless, of course, you're in Europe!

Last edited by Mike in CA; 12-19-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:38 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Firebird2
Hi guys,

Cheers
Any model should be rated to tow 7000lbs plus and the tongue weight is fine just make sure you balance your trailer load.......just dont try and tow any none rec vehicle like a front end loader etc........

Air suspension just makes it nice, I run one of the most bare bones 6er cayenne.......but I do everything in mine.

Quick Reply: For all you doubters....the Cayenne V6 tows.