Sponsored by:

Oil Consumption/Change?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 12:40 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Consumption/Change?

Got my '06 CS brand new in October. 13,500 miles on the clock.

Manual says oil change at 20,000.

Despite what the manual says I am feeling a little anxious about not changing or even adding oil (the dip stick shows oil level right down the middle between "min" and "max"). My prior car-- BMW X5 4.4 -- also used synthetic oil which was changed 15K.

I am wondering what others are doing.

For what it's worth, I saw a thread on the 996 or 997 board where people indicated that they were not following the manual and were actually changing their oil more frequently than prescribed by PAG.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:09 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rome
Got my '06 CS brand new in October. 13,500 miles on the clock. Manual says oil change at 20,000. Despite what the manual says I am feeling a little anxious about not changing or even adding oil (the dip stick shows oil level right down the middle between "min" and "max"). My prior car-- BMW X5 4.4 -- also used synthetic oil which was changed 15K..
Look through some of the old threads and you'll find that the S models burn NO oil and that most folks do change their oil early. I have changed at 15K miles and the oil still looks good and have never burned any oil. I drive hard and also lots of high temp conditions on interstate. Now have over 65K miles. I have no concerns about the engine with the excellent Porsche machining and the synthetic oils.. other components is another story.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:32 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Oil change intervals......yet another of the endless discussions.

Conspiracy theory #1. EPA "suggests" to auto manufacturers to greatly increase oil change interval recommendations, thus reducing the amount of waste oil produced by US vehicles.

Conspiracy theory #2: Synthetic oils simply don't break down and the accumulation of contaminants (via EGR/emissions systems) simply provide for longer oil change intervals.

Conspiracy theory #3: It's not the oil that limits/determines the length of oil change intervals; it's the ability of the oil filter to continue to trap particulates.

The forums (virtually all of them.....well, maybe not the Car Care/Concours forum) are loaded with these arguments, debates over oil analysis, synthetic vs dino, whether or not the 'new' Mobil 1 is still a 'true' synthetic like the old Mobil 1.

There are also other factors (driving in dusty/sandy conditions, TOWING....) that reduce the recommended interval as well.
Track cars can have their oil changed after each race/day, some people still insist on every 3-5K miles, some people change once a year....do whatever you feel is comfortable.
(on my former Cayenne, I felt comfortable never changing the oil, adding some occasionally.....motor oil, Wesson oil, 2 cycle engine oil...whatever I felt like.......and that motor went for 63K miles just fine)

The end result will me mechanical wear (rings primarily, followed by bearings, valve guides/lifters, variocam tensioners, etc) which will first show up as increased oil consumption, followed by blow by and exhaust smoke......but these would be expected WELL past 100K miles.......and who in their right mind would be keeping a Cayenne well past 100K miles.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:46 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys.

Think I will wait to 15K and change it. Seems like there is no down side to that and it will make me rest a little easier.

Plus, I can angle to get a Boxster loaner from the dealer on a nice summer day, whereas if I wait until 20K it will probably be late fall and too cold here is Mass. to enjoy a ragtop.

LTC, I'm hoping to keep the CS for 4 years, which based on the average amount of miles I put on per year (about 30K), will mean I will have 120,000 or so on the clock...and, I plan to go naked (or as I prefer to think of it-- "self-insured") after the factory warranty expires at 50K...In the Fall of '09 I plan to be putting my order together for a new 2010 CS...Call me crazy...but that's the plan

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption/Change?