Sponsored by:

Cayenne Settlement offer

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 03:27 PM
len928
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Cayenne Settlement offer

Hello All, need a realistic opinion, instead of my pissed off opinion.
We have a 04 Cayenne S, we love it, however we have been truly plagued with problems, the most severe being a Trans replacement, Then there were the lifter issues, paint issues, ABS, AIRBAG, ect ect. In all the car has probably been in the shop 10 times since we purchased it...

We have not been shy with voicing our disapproval.
So after all of this.

If you were to get a settlement letter, with a deadline, about excepting a Warranty to catch or makeup for the vehicle's short falls.
What would you do?
Speaking in theory.

I am not sure how to proceed, I have never tried to enfoce the lemon law, or a buy back, I just want the car fixed and feel safe driving it.

What would some of you do?
Thanks
Old 04-21-2006, 03:52 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by len928
Hello All, need a realistic opinion, instead of my pissed off opinion. We have a 04 Cayenne S, we love it, however we have been truly plagued with problems, the most severe being a Trans replacement, Then there were the lifter issues, paint issues, ABS, AIRBAG, ect ect. In all the car has probably been in the shop 10 times since we purchased it... We have not been shy with voicing our disapproval. So after all of this. If you were to get a settlement letter, with a deadline, about excepting a Warranty to catch or makeup for the vehicle's short falls. What would you do? Speaking in theory.
I am not sure how to proceed, I have never tried to enfoce the lemon law, or a buy back, I just want the car fixed and feel safe driving it. What would some of you do? Thanks
We need more info. when did you buy it (i.e. how many months of ownership) and also be more specific. are you theoretically saying that they'll make a CPO car out of it .. i.e. 6 years, 100K miles?

Now, sit down. Honestly, in 35 months of ownership with 65K miles, I have had warranty work probably on 20 visits. Some of these were several days in duration. Never mind probably another dozen visits for minor things or just regular service. My wife cannot believe that I "like" the car that much to put up with it. So if you have a '04 like me (may '03) then I need to "get me some of dat!!" because I'm naked now as the ext. warranty company has gone Hawaii Five-O (see other posts). I'd take the CPO in a heartbeat but give us more info.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:08 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

HYPOTHETICALLY SPEAKING.....(legal disclaimer , etc )......

Why would you accept a warranty extention for a vehicle that will likey continue to need 'warranty' service?
A warranty extention costs PCNA virtually nothing up front.....which is of course why they would offer it.

It sounds as though you might be happier/better served if you sold your vehicle back to PCNA (I will not use the term buy back) at a fair/reasonable price.....of course the question is 'what is fair and reasonable'? Galves, KBB, NADA....what is "condition".....Excellent, Good......what category is used.....Retail, Private Party, Trade in? By manipulating these variables, your Cayenne's 'fair market value' can vary by more than $20K......or at least that's what I've been told.

I would IMAGINE that PCNA will likely resist such an offer initially, but in the end may be more reasonable.

I would IMAGINE that initially you will be asked to settle the matter thru arbitration (as detailed in your Cayenne warranty booklet..the one that no one reads) and that MOST legal counsel would advise against said process.

You could check with your local Attorney General's Office, see if you LEGALLY meet ALL the 'lemon law' requirements...most people assume they have a lemon, but do not technically/legally do.

PCNA, it is RUMORED, does occasionally purchase a vehicle from a current owner (I didn't say buy back), Cayennes, Carreras, Boxsters, when they have no other option (re: depending on how hard they are pushed).

Very sorry to hear about your problems.
Best of luck in pursuing the matter to your satisfaction.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:22 PM
len928
Instructor

Thanks for the input.
MadFox, I am a specific as can be.

I had the same feelings about the warranty, the fact that it costs PCNA nothing to do and the car will most likely continue to need work.

I will see what they come back with, as I haven't been given any kind of indication yet.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:30 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input. MadFox, I am a specific as can be. I will see what they come back with, as I haven't been given any kind of indication yet.
Understand.

That said. I also would not settle just for a CPO warranty. My issues have all been fixed (possible exception the coils/plugs and I won't know for 10K miles or more). I'd see if there is someone willing to pay KBB excellent and then either dive back in for a '06/'07 built on a non-beer holiday in Germany or move on to something else. All depends on the dealer experience you've had through the problems. Good Luck.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:37 PM
alirob
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too bad you can't put a price on aggravation. I, fortunately, have had only a few minor problems on my 04 S. I do have a terrible paint job (orange peel). What were your "paint issues"?
Old 04-21-2006, 08:47 PM
len928
Instructor

Originally Posted by alirob
Too bad you can't put a price on aggravation. I, fortunately, have had only a few minor problems on my 04 S. I do have a terrible paint job (orange peel). What were your "paint issues"?
Bad peal and some fading on the rear bumper.
Almost as if it was just rubbed off.
Len
Old 04-21-2006, 09:17 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the input.
MadFox, I am a specific as can be.

I had the same feelings about the warranty, the fact that it costs PCNA nothing to do and the car will most likely continue to need work.

I will see what they come back with, as I haven't been given any kind of indication yet.
You're welcome....and I was as specific as I could be
Old 04-21-2006, 09:51 PM
GM Austin
Pro

Len
I'm just curious if you are saying the paint was literally coming off (peeling) or is it the dimpled, "orange-peel" quality of the paint that is the complaint?
Old 04-21-2006, 10:15 PM
Kooser
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Len
I am dealing with the rear bumper issue right now -the lower valance to be more specific. My truck is in the shop for several scheduled maint. things, plus a polish and wax to remove some of the same "feathering", & "orange peeling" you mentioned, and light surface scratches -damn black is hard to maintain with a flawless finish! Plugs, brake fluid flush, probably new pads etc. etc.

Misery loves company so it is good to hear that I am not the only one with a peeling plastic bumper. My dealer though has been so helpful and caters to my every wish so i cannot complain about the stellar service.
I got an '06 Boxster as a loaner until Wednesday so I am going to drive this "expendable" baby so damn HARD!

I trust your service department has been very gracious to you (I hope)
Old 04-22-2006, 03:28 AM
len928
Instructor

Originally Posted by ltc
You're welcome....and I was as specific as I could be
Judging by your sig. I completely understand.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:29 AM
len928
Instructor

Originally Posted by GM Austin
I'm just curious if you are saying the paint was literally coming off (peeling) or is it the dimpled, "orange-peel" quality of the paint that is the complaint?
All of the above. Also note that my CS is black as well.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:36 AM
len928
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kooser
I am dealing with the rear bumper issue right now -the lower valance to be more specific. My truck is in the shop for several scheduled maint. things, plus a polish and wax to remove some of the same "feathering", & "orange peeling" you mentioned, and light surface scratches -damn black is hard to maintain with a flawless finish! Plugs, brake fluid flush, probably new pads etc. etc.

Misery loves company so it is good to hear that I am not the only one with a peeling plastic bumper. My dealer though has been so helpful and caters to my every wish so i cannot complain about the stellar service.
I got an '06 Boxster as a loaner until Wednesday so I am going to drive this "expendable" baby so damn HARD!

I trust your service department has been very gracious to you (I hope)
The dealership and the service dept. have been commendable, just hard for them to track down some of the issues. I have always been given a loaner, most of the time it has been completely equivalent.

I have never been lucky enough to land a Boxster.
My wife would be mad anyway , this is her beast, and she is crazy about it. She knows every lil nuance about it.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:18 AM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default lemmon law

i have done the lemon law twice, once against audi on an A6 Quattro (won) and once against mazda on a miata (lost what should have been a Mulligan because of my own hubris). not to cover everything here, but the basics are that...

every state has it's own rules on lemons, you need to find out yours.

atty's are mostly worthless in the lemon law arena, the law is set up to avoid them, and most don't know anything about it. (to my experience).

if you go this route, take it to a 3rd party mechanic and have him detail the things that are still wrong in writting. (this was where i screwed up on the mazda).

you need every piece of paper generated on the car.

if you want more information, contact me directly, i can tell you about my experiences.

DT
Old 04-24-2006, 11:30 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Damn - if my Cayenne had all of those problems I would have drove it off a cliff and purchased a Kia to replace it...

Quick Reply: Cayenne Settlement offer