Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

to by pass or not to by pass that is the?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 07:26 PM
curveraider
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to by pass or not to by pass that is the?

So now that I have CS and I have had a few gallons of kool-aid, I am ready to jump off the cliff and on to the slippery slope of modifcation. Besides the sound and weight benefits of going with the by pass pipes does anybody know if there is a "real" difference in performance or gas mileage?

Anybody know what Porsche did to give the next generation of Cayenne's a little more power and can those changes be made easily on current trucks? I know these are trucks and not 911's, but the wife is gone and this is a great opportunity to spend money on unnecessaary hp!

Also, are the ride height moduals from Rinspeed and Cargraphics the same... they sure look similar.

Thanks,
Old 04-04-2006, 07:44 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Arlen,
So I assume you bought a CS? If so, congrats!

I've been asking myself this question since I got my CS.
I'm more concerned about not liking the exhaust note or being too loud.

Where did you find yours?
Old 04-04-2006, 07:59 PM
curveraider
Racer

Hey Scott,

Thanks to Alex, I got '04 from a dealer only an hour away from where I live! Even though its not a '05 it is silver with the black interior and PASM. And thanks to Rennlist, I had all of the updates to requests during the negotiation!

You can listen to what the CS should sound like with the by pass pipes on the Fabspeed website. It is probably a little louder as they did both the exhaust and the by pass pipes, but at least you will get an idea.

Happy driving
Old 04-04-2006, 08:26 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ECU flash, cat bypass and exhaust upgrade of your choice should get you started.
Attached Images  
Old 04-04-2006, 08:46 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

bypass !
Old 04-04-2006, 09:12 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by curveraider
Hey Scott,

Thanks to Alex, I got '04 from a dealer only an hour away from where I live! Even though its not a '05 it is silver with the black interior and PASM. And thanks to Rennlist, I had all of the updates to requests during the negotiation!

You can listen to what the CS should sound like with the by pass pipes on the Fabspeed website. It is probably a little louder as they did both the exhaust and the by pass pipes, but at least you will get an idea.

Happy driving
Cool!

Sounds like you got the older brother to my truck.

Enjoy!

Scott
Old 04-04-2006, 10:14 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

So I'm assuming you received the 6yr/100K CPO warranty at time of purchase and now you want to risk voiding the prophylactic warranty by modifiying the Cayenne?

If your dealer is OK with it
If the dealer is NOT OK with it

I think I know what PCNA's position would be
Old 04-04-2006, 10:18 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Now your turning party pooper horatio ?
Old 04-04-2006, 10:21 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

No, not at all.

I'd just hate to see someone who agonized over the purchase of a Cayenne and is currently enjoying a 6/100 warranty condom have it popped by mods to the vehicle.

Don't take my word for it, take it from an expert...take it away Triumph the Comic Insult Dog:
Attached Images  
Old 04-04-2006, 10:33 PM
Stone43
Racer

Hmmm. I just purchased the fabspeed pipes and I am planning to have them installed on Monday when I get back into town. I also have that 6/100K warranty and do not want to screw it up.

Any additional insight here would be great. Perhaps some documented proof, someone who actually had problems, etc.??
Old 04-04-2006, 10:42 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Read your Porsche warranty book.

As I said, if your dealer is willing to be reasonable on the mods and you are up front with your proposed mods, then you're probably fine.....at least for the time being.

However, remember that your dealer is paid/reimbursed by PCNA for warranty repairs; PCNA reserves the right to inspect any vehicle subject to a warranty claim, in addition to requiring that all parts removed be returned to PCNA for verification and analysis (and sometimes return to PAG).

Per the letter of the law, ANY modification you do to the vehicle which alters it's as built/as delivered configuration is grounds for the warranty to be (legally)declared null and void.
NOT that it is enforced, but it can be.
Does the installation of a hardwired radar detector/Bluetooth kit/Aftermarket stereo system damage the vehicle? Probably not. Can it LEGALLY be cause for the warranty to be voided? Yes, if PCNA happens to be in a pissy mood that day.

There have been instances of (modified) Porsches being up on a lift when the PCNA district/regional service manager happens to be in the shop for an unrelated matter, looks up and sees modifications and asks the dealer if that vehicle has been part of PCNA paid for warranty service. Set the fan to "HI" and let the **** fly.

But then again, what does my opinion matter.....I don't own a Cayenne.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:13 PM
Kooser
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
No, not at all.

I'd just hate to see someone who agonized over the purchase of a Cayenne and is currently enjoying a 6/100 warranty condom have it popped by mods to the vehicle
Must say I will probably be popping my Jimmy too (I'll just go with the withdrawal method and hope for the best) with 22" wheels, soon to be Cat Bypass pipes, DME flash on second DME unit, Evo V Flow intakes....
That is actually what I agonize over, not the purchase of the car.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:24 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

I can only respond from experience.

My dealer services my car, loves the way it sounds, has fitted bypass pipes for others.

Has installed all sorts of mods to new sport cars.

Sees no issue with anything so long as it does not compromise the engine, stops short on chipping. does not like odd wheels.

I love my dealer. Not in a brokeback way you understand.

Old 04-04-2006, 11:25 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

No problem...... Great relationship with dealer.

However, I listened to the Fabspeed sound clip and didn't particularly care for the raspy sound.

Lewis, thanks for the heads-up.

By the way...... Does the subwoofer under the spare tire do anything but provide vibration? Is there ar real driver in there?
Old 04-04-2006, 11:42 PM
Grssypond
Advanced

Default Ouch!!!

Just put the Fabspeed bypass pipes on.......oooolala......but I feel myself in rapid descent. Lewis....you can really take the fun out of p-life.

Oh well.....the mod has been Grrrrreat!!!! I'm a pure novice, but the pipes have put a good dose of fun in the CTT . Why, just the other evening, on a casual trip to store for my lovely....I was run up on from behind and poof .....I left him in my dust on a nice little twisty.

Quick Reply: to by pass or not to by pass that is the?