heres some pics, Gary where are yours ?
Attached Images    
Old 03-26-2006, 11:05 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts

Wow, nice images!

The lead vehicle is set up great. I think a slick single or dual tire carrier for the roof would be a great option.

In the off chance that Newbie928 is not just BS, then this manual is a very good source for information on the Cayenne.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:12 AM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a Disco II and it is going to get replaced with a Cayenne S. You need a new Lawyer for sure.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:47 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,190 Posts

FWIW- Top Gear (or maybe it was 5th Gear, not sure) took the VW Touareg up against the Disco and a few other SUV's. The VW won every off-road and on-road test.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:21 PM
SnP
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I have both right now - an 02 Disco II and an 06 Cayenne S.

My Cayenne will do everything myDisco II can do and go everywhere my Disco II can go and get this - the Cayenne can exceed 85 mph!

There is no comapring these vehicles as the Disco represents very primitive technology compared to the Cayenne.

Folks seem to love to bash the Cayenne, and it would seem that yahoo off-roaders are often the first in line. However, bashing Cayennes isn't an informed opinion, it's wishful thinking.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:35 PM
Kooser
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mudman2
I agree, if you have such stupid friends and you actually listen to them , get a subaru.
Daaammmmn that is a bit harsh. But nonetheless justified!

Kelly Blue Book "Best Resale Value"

Sedan: Accord Hybrid
Coupe: Infiniti G35
Convertible: Chevrolet Corvette
Wagon: Subaru Outback
Hatchback: Toyota Prius/Mini Cooper
Luxury: Infiniti M45
Pickup: Toyota Tacoma PreRunner
SUV: Porsche Cayenne
Minivan: Honda Odyssey

Notice Subaru is listed as a WAGON
Notice Porsche Cayenne is listed as an SUV.....and notice that it has the best resale value of any SUV too (at least as remarked in October of '05)

Do you live in the Outback? How much "offroading" will you be doing and how much street driving will you be doing? Check this link out: http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php...&page=0#201688

With the Cayenne it doesn't make a damn bit of difference. Now with a RR or LR3 it does make a differnece. Off road they are quite capable, but on the street they are top heavy, cumbersome, and sluggish at best in comparison to the Cayenne (Turbo S, Turbo, and also S).

Drive all the vehicles you can in this SUV class - BMW, Infiniti, Lexus, RR, Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi, and yes even the Subaru. Then make up your own mind taking into account price, workmanship, performance, fit, ergonomics and fun.....you will drive away with a Porsche (except maybe for the price thang!)
Old 03-26-2006, 12:40 PM
Kooser
Pro

http://www.bumperart.com/ProductImag...Display-35.gif
Old 03-26-2006, 02:49 PM
Newbie928
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate the ahh....not so subtle informed opinions. For those of you who own both a Cayenne S and a Disco2 or who have had both, I appreciate it all the more.

That was certainly enlightening.

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2006, 12:51 AM
tommytomaso
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THIS lawyer was even wrong about the AMC eagle, for its time its more an offroader than the outback,,, man i dont think iv heard such a miss match...talk about Navy seal taking on the Boy scout.
Porsche has talked about making a less complicated do everthing SUV but even then im sure it will still be more SUV than 90% of the car based hybrids.(aka pilot,outback,X3,G45,...and the list keeps getting longer)..car makers know that most dont use 20% of thier SUVs. But Porsche was risking everthing on thiers, and couldnt let anything to chance.. THIER IS NOT A TRUCK/CAR/HYBRID, out thier that can do all this Porsche can do..JACK OF ALL TRADES...and its only negitive point is its price (cuz i cant afford one)....iv driven the turbo......MAN WHAT A MACHINE!!!!
Old 03-27-2006, 02:28 PM
356driver
Racer

First let me say your lawyer is correct about the off-road prowess of the Discovery. Aside from the fact that it was an underpowered highway vehicle and has since been replaced by the LR3, it certainly has impressive off-road talents. Similarly the Subaru is a "sleeper" - it actually has a very competent AWD system. I have seen it perform in snow and ice very nicely but I cannot imagine it has the ground clearance necessary for serious off-roading. There are other capable 4WD SUV's out there, including the Toyota Land Rover and of course Jeep.

On the other hand, your lawyer is completely uninformed about the Cayenne. A cursory Google lookup of Cayenne road tests provides widespread evidence that Porsche built serious off-road capabilities into the vehicle.

Beyond that you might want to look at the images below of my adventures in Anza Borrego, Death Valley, Lytle Creek (picture on left) and Mojave. There may be places the Cayenne cannot go, but they are so extreme I wouldn't risk it anyway. So short of the kind of trails where damage to the vehicle (from rollover, bottoming, side slips, etc.) is an accepted risk, then the Cayenne is fine for me.

By the way, the air suspension option will give you better ground clearance margins if you are on my kind of trails.
Attached Images     
Old 03-27-2006, 04:01 PM
MeanMachine
Three Wheelin'

The Cayenne is No X5 its really Amazes me in terms of Speed, Comfort and Offroad conquering
Old 03-29-2006, 12:36 AM
Kooser
Pro

Play the Cayenne Turbo S video for your lawyer.
from another post here.
http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...dex/type=SUV#1
Old 03-29-2006, 11:50 PM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Look at fellow Rennlist member Coochas's website for a fine collection of Cayenne offroad videos:

http://coochas.com/porsche/cayennevideo.html

Have your lawyer buddy check out the Top Gear video (video #1 at the above link) with Jeremy driving the Cayenne through a test facility for tanks. Jeremy does not like the looks of the Cayenne, but calls it absolutely "astonishing" in terms of its combination of offroad and onraod capabilities. He says that the Cayenne is effectively a hybrid between a tank and a sports car. In contrast, he says that a BMW X5 and most other modern SUVs would get "stuck on a croquet lawn." You gotta love Jeremy's humor.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:23 AM
Cognac
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Haha sue your lawyer...
Old 04-04-2006, 11:55 AM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have also had my Cayenne S off road. I led a group in CO last summer, though we only had my Cayenne and a Turbo mixed in with some other vehicles. The Cayenne does pretty well off road. What makes it capable? Well...it has a low range gear set unlike a Subaru, or the X5. The air suspension allows something like 11" of ground clearance. It has hill descent control that makes off-roading for newbies a no brainer. Those are the features along with an availible locking rear differential that make the Cayenne capable in the dirt. I think it can easily go where a stock Disco can go, and maybe more places as the Disco really isn't that impressive in my book.

The Cayenne has an on road bias for the simple reason that 95% or more of them will never see the dirt. Why build in a bunch of capability that will never get used? Most folks would rather see the Cayenne devoid of the off road features in favor of lighter wieght and more on road performance. You just can't please everybody.

To unknowingly critisize the Cayenne shows nothing but ignorance. Like most owners here I have tried a bunch of other high end vehicles and come to very much appreciate the Cayenne. It does a bunch of things really well, making it a true sport utility vehicle. Have the lawyer name something that has all of the Cayennes capabilities because I can't think of a single vehicle that does everything the Cayenne does, and does it to the same level.

Quick Reply: Land Rover Discovery II or Cayenne S?