Shifting at higher RPM in 06 S VS CTT

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 12:37 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Warner
Alex, I have a lag in a couple areas. One is the inherent lag of a turbo, it just takes time to spin up and kick in. The other is the time it takes for the vehicle to respond to my throttle inputs, just way longer than my 996, and I think some or all if this may be automatic transmission, or perhaps a different drive by wire than the 996. It just responds slower. I've come to accept this as part of the truck and while it bugs a bit, it's horrible in relation to how much I like the thing overall. The good news is that this S that I had last week had completely different shift mapping and seemed to overcome automatically what I have to do manually by constantly selecting a lower gear than the auto mode think I should be in.

you need to flash your ecu, giac...
Old 03-14-2006, 04:15 AM
Chriz
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The most interesting part however was the shifting on this vehicle. In auto mode, not Tiptronic, this particluar S started in 1st gear, all the time. When cold, warm, hot, day night, all the time, it started in 1st gear not second.

I do have a 06 CS (december factory pickup). It starts like indicated in the user manual. Engine cold 1st gear, engine warm 2nd gear.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:26 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The mash down does induce the 1st start but thats not the issue.

For example there were about 3 control modules for model years 03/04 and 5 for model year 05.

The later units MUST be matched with an 05 transmission to work to spec.

They changed my transmission due to knocking, they did not change my control unit at first until Atlanta told them they had to. Quite a marked difference, my 04 transmission now looks like a dog in comparison.

My dealer told me that one of the control units had, what he was told by the region guy, a sport mode added with PSM off. This gives first gear starts and higher changes. It will not even go into 6 unless you tip it. So around town you end up in 4 and very quickly 3. This car can really MOVE in that mode.

Compliants that the car was not aggressive enough caused the changes, that and their attempts to fix hesitation issues.

Old 03-14-2006, 09:27 AM
Chriz
Advanced

Hmm i have to check out if my gearbox software acts diffrent with psm switched off.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:44 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

If you cannot tell the difference its wrong, its not a small change its HUGE !
Old 03-14-2006, 12:57 PM
charlieXS
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 06 v6 won't start in 1st gear even when mashed with PSM ON... only way to get 1st gear starts is when cold and when psm off.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:20 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

I am not sure about the V6's you might want to ask your dealer if its correct.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:09 PM
Josh Warner
Rennlist Member

So I'm looking for a particular control unit for my transmission with an aggressive program when the PSM is off, but it won't match my actual transmission. Is it a part of the ECU programing or is the control unit for the trans. something separate?

Daniel and Marc, hope you guys are follwing this. It all makes sense, shame they don't just fix this stuff at service time. I'm always complaining about these characteristics. More power and torque from ECU tweeking are going to be great but I think much would be missed is the drivability through proper gear selection isn't handled. Funny how it took a loaner for me to experience the shifting I thought these should have.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:59 PM
charlieXS
Pro

What would be SOOOOOOOOO difficult for Porsche to install a "Sport" button which allows on demand "agressive" throttle responsiveness and shift points. Wouldn't even affect CAFE numbers. I'd like to maintain my PSM attributes when driving rapidly.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:13 PM
Josh Warner
Rennlist Member

I agree, a Sport Mode would be trick. I can't imagine turning it off save for the occasional road trip. Something that would bring high shift points and all around more aggressive driving is what's needed to put the edge on all that power. This is especially important to me as I'm planning on adding more power to mine. I just think much of it would be wasted without better shift mapping.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:41 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

The control box (one of the many) is the Tiptronic Transmission Control Unit. There is another which they flash with PIWIS to reset the eGas system that also goes wrong sometimes.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:44 PM
Daniel@AdvancedMotorsport.com
Advanced

Daniel and Marc, hope you guys are follwing this. It all makes sense, shame they don't just fix this stuff at service time. I'm always complaining about these characteristics. More power and torque from ECU tweeking are going to be great but I think much would be missed is the drivability through proper gear selection isn't handled. Funny how it took a loaner for me to experience the shifting I thought these should have.
Josh,

Marc and I are aware of this and we had a conversation about this yesterday evening. We are researching what options are out there and will let everyone know as soon as possible!

-daniel
Old 03-14-2006, 05:16 PM
Chriz
Advanced

My instructer at the factory told me that the gearbox software is adaptive. If you drive aggressive it uses a more sportier shift mapping. I dont know if this also applies to earlier model years.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:25 PM
Josh Warner
Rennlist Member

As to the adaptive nature of the unit I'm not able to influence it much from what I can tell. I am easily clasified as an aggressive driver.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:53 PM
charlieXS
Pro

AND, that doesn't help much anyways... with SoCal roads and traffic I CRAWL around surface streets and only occasionally have a chance to "jump on it"... so the adaptive software wouldn't be able to tell what I expected.

Quick Reply: Shifting at higher RPM in 06 S VS CTT