Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

great forum! Help with my '06 Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 01:46 AM
charlieXS
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default great forum! Help with my '06 Cayenne?

Great to be here... the best Cayenne spot online!

Ok so I have a Prosecco Metallic V6... with Tiptro/sunroof/no other options.

I want a nice street look.
But I don't want to spend big $$$$.

So here's the plan:

Nice 20's
Suspension
Aluminum Roof Rails
Clear side markers
Maybe paint grill silver?
Possible twintube Porsche tips
Possible v6 bypass pipe

Possibly paint the roof spoiler aluminum ala sport pkg.

For 20's I like OZ Canyon, TSW Montage but I really like these new wheels from VictorEquipment wheels, the LeMans and Tourismo.

I'd like the Tourismo's in chrome (or maybe silver)

20 x 10 (50mm offset) F
20 x 11 (49mm offset) R

with THIS:

Pirelli PZero Rosso 275/40-20 F
Pirelli PZero Rosso 315/35-20 R

Both are exactly 28.7 tall...

Worried about my V6 brakes, too small for big wheels?
Chrome or silver on a Prosecco Cayenne?
H&R springs are the best, right?
Tirerack to buy the springs, but WHO to install them in Los Angeles area??

I want to play up the whole Prosecco/Aluminum combination, it looks really nice together, much better than Jarama...
Old 02-14-2006, 03:29 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Los Angeles you should try Arling from Lucent motors...i think 11 would be too wide for the cayenne , you should stick with 10 inches.. HR springs should be better, I have experienced Techart which is manufactured by Eibach..very very stiff, my wife hates it, but I love it on twisties for the wheels, i'm not a fan of chrome especially on the cayenne makes it more blingy,LOL the good thing with the OZ wheels is theyre cheap.. for the bodykit, u shoud get the OEM aerokit , then the turbo bumper, the techart, gemballa etc prices are way up there... good luck, here's a picture of my old CS with tech art springs one with winter wheels one with AT italia presa, and also some pics of rear exhaust tips and valance, first oem aerokit the next is techart..

Last edited by alex911s; 04-02-2015 at 02:56 AM.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:13 AM
charlieXS
Pro

thx Alex looks nice. 20" AT's?? Looks a lot like mine will when finished... the drop is really subtle, I like it.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:19 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

NP, yeah those are just 20's , 22's should look nicer
You should check out Jamys car , he has gemballa kit, 22" wheels and HR springs
http://members.rennlist.com/jamy85/gemballa.htm
Old 02-14-2006, 04:34 AM
charlieXS
Pro

Originally Posted by alex911s
NP, yeah those are just 20's , 22's should look nicer
You should check out Jamys car , he has gemballa kit, 22" wheels and HR springs
http://members.rennlist.com/jamy85/gemballa.htm
mmmm...nice. wonder what size BFG tires?

C
Old 02-14-2006, 02:34 PM
charlieXS
Pro

Lucent Motors gets $650 for the spring install with alignment. From some of the other threads this seems high, any other shops closer to my side of town, Calabassas, Wlk Vlg, Agoura, etc, etc...

Anyone know why the H&R kit lowers V6 1.6" all the way around but only lowers the S model 1.3"??
You'd think it was the other way around with the heavier car dropping a bit more...

Just out of curiousity, have any of you ever heard of a Cayenne ending up on its roof from drivers trying to defy gravity and physics in a 5000lb truck?

C
Old 02-14-2006, 07:28 PM
charlieXS
Pro

Couple of things... I went in today to get the little plastic cover for the rear window wiper arm/microswitch ***'y... and oddly enough the cover comes bundled with a new microswitch, is there a recall or something on the old microswitch? Should I swap it out, mine seems fine at 2K miles...

Also, does anyone have an issue with the carpeted interior trim panel under the seat facing the front "popping" loose a bit? I smack it probs once per day to put it back in place??

C
Old 02-16-2006, 01:31 AM
Budget M3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by charlieXS
Great to be here... the best Cayenne spot online!

For 20's I like OZ Canyon, TSW Montage but I really like these new wheels from VictorEquipment wheels, the LeMans and Tourismo.

with THIS:

Pirelli PZero Rosso 275/40-20 F
Pirelli PZero Rosso 315/35-20 R

Both are exactly 28.7 tall...

Worried about my V6 brakes, too small for big wheels?
Hey Charlie,

Nice to see a fellow V6 owner here! I am going with 20" OZ's myself...best "value" for a trusted name IMHO. You are correct that there will be no change to the diameter for these wheel/tire combos. The 315/35R20 tire will fit on a 10-inch rim at the rear, but I don't recommend it. That tire size is the same setup that BMW runs on the X5 4.6/4.8is. On a truck engineered for the setup like the BMW, it works great...however, when I put this combo on my X5 3.0 with OEM sport suspension, it caused HUGE understeer in normal everyday driving. The wide rear tires looked really cool, but the truck constantly pushed, and felt like it did not want to turn at all. I kind of got used to it, but never really liked it...

Also, I think I remember reading somewhere that the widest tire recommended for the rear of the Cay is a 295...might want to check with Tirerack or a reputable dealer to confirm...
Old 02-16-2006, 02:10 AM
charlieXS
Pro

Originally Posted by Budget M3
Hey Charlie,

Nice to see a fellow V6 owner here! I am going with 20" OZ's myself...best "value" for a trusted name IMHO. You are correct that there will be no change to the diameter for these wheel/tire combos. The 315/35R20 tire will fit on a 10-inch rim at the rear, but I don't recommend it. That tire size is the same setup that BMW runs on the X5 4.6/4.8is. On a truck engineered for the setup like the BMW, it works great...however, when I put this combo on my X5 3.0 with OEM sport suspension, it caused HUGE understeer in normal everyday driving. The wide rear tires looked really cool, but the truck constantly pushed, and felt like it did not want to turn at all. I kind of got used to it, but never really liked it...

Also, I think I remember reading somewhere that the widest tire recommended for the rear of the Cay is a 295...might want to check with Tirerack or a reputable dealer to confirm...
yeah, to be safe one could go with 275/40-20 all around... OE Porsche engineering... you gonna do springs?
Old 02-16-2006, 02:27 AM
Budget M3
Racer

yeah, to be safe one could go with 275/40-20 all around... OE Porsche engineering...
275/40-20 should allow us to maintain factory warranty, too, since it's an approved tire size for the Cayenne.

you gonna do springs?
Probably not...at least until the 4/50 warranty is up...I don't want to give them any excuses to disallow any future warranty claims... Plus-2 size wheels and tires alone should dramatically improve handling and braking performance. If you want more than that, drive the sports car not the truck
Old 02-16-2006, 06:35 AM
JGriff
Racer

Originally Posted by Budget M3
Plus-2 size wheels and tires alone should dramatically improve handling and braking performance. If you want more than that, drive the sports car not the truck
Great info in this thread. As a fellow V6 owner, I've thought of upsizing to 18" rims but have been concerned on what effect it would have on the acceleration, steering response, handling and ride... primarily due to the extra unsprung weight from the larger rims. A few years back I added 15" rims to a VW Quantum Syncro... and I ended up hating how it affected all of the aforementioned. Believe it or not, I autocrossed that car (see below pic... just for amusement) and it performed better and was more fun with the factory 14" rims.

Have you guys looked into how much extra weight the 20" rims will add vs. factory rims? Do you happen to know how much the 17" rims weigh? I know there was a thread a little while ago about rim weight, but no one mentioned the 17" rims.

I know that this usually wouldn't matter too much with a CS or Turbo, but I'm concerned about adding extra weight to my V6. (Maybe after Porsche bumps up the HP in a couple of years it will be less of an issue for me... if I trade up for one.)

Please post your experience after you've added the rims... I'd be curious to hear from both of you as to the pros and cons. It may just help me decide on whether to upsize my rims.

Thanks.

More Syncro autocross pics
Old 02-16-2006, 01:03 PM
charlieXS
Pro

Originally Posted by JGriff
Great info in this thread. As a fellow V6 owner, I've thought of upsizing to 18" rims but have been concerned on what effect it would have on the acceleration, steering response, handling and ride... primarily due to the extra unsprung weight from the larger rims. A few years back I added 15" rims to a VW Quantum Syncro... and I ended up hating how it affected all of the aforementioned. Believe it or not, I autocrossed that car (see below pic... just for amusement) and it performed better and was more fun with the factory 14" rims.

Have you guys looked into how much extra weight the 20" rims will add vs. factory rims? Do you happen to know how much the 17" rims weigh? I know there was a thread a little while ago about rim weight, but no one mentioned the 17" rims.

I know that this usually wouldn't matter too much with a CS or Turbo, but I'm concerned about adding extra weight to my V6. (Maybe after Porsche bumps up the HP in a couple of years it will be less of an issue for me... if I trade up for one.)

Please post your experience after you've added the rims... I'd be curious to hear from both of you as to the pros and cons. It may just help me decide on whether to upsize my rims.

Thanks.

More Syncro autocross pics

Yeah, I actually like the Cayenne 17" Stock wheel... if it was available in a 20" wheels i'd be all over it! I've even thought of having the 17's chrome plated and getting a set of color center caps.

C
Old 02-16-2006, 04:52 PM
Budget M3
Racer

Originally Posted by JGriff
Great info in this thread. As a fellow V6 owner, I've thought of upsizing to 18" rims but have been concerned on what effect it would have on the acceleration, steering response, handling and ride... primarily due to the extra unsprung weight from the larger rims.

It may just help me decide on whether to upsize my rims.

Thanks.
Unsprung weight was a consideration for me, too. If you can afford $800-1000+ per wheel, there are lots of choices for 20" forged wheels from high end manufacturers that weigh as little as 20lbs/ea. My 20" OZ Canyon's are advertised at just under 35lbs/ea...not light by any stretch of the imagination, but still lighter than Mille Miglia's and other cast wheels that are over 40lbs/ea. IMO, the OZ's are the best value compromise for weight vs. cost.

From previous experience doing a similar upgrade on my X5, I expect a significant increase in handling and braking performance...minimal effect on acceleration and fuel economy...and a much firmer ride (but hopefully not harsh).

My V6 came stock with the OEM S-model 18" wheels and tires (255/55R18). I have no idea what they weigh, but stock wheels are not known for their low weight. I'm guessing they weigh about the same as the stock 17-inch, but cannot find any hard data to support that. The ride was pretty much unchanged from the 17" V6's I drove. If you are interested, they have <5000 miles on them, and can be yours for a very reasonable price...just send me a PM or email

Quick Reply: great forum! Help with my '06 Cayenne?