Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Okay...seriously now, what is the trailer light fix?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 03:40 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Okay...seriously now, what is the trailer light fix?

Hooked up the S today. Turn indicators and brakes work. Running lights flicker very faintly. It is a 20' enclosed with about 18 running lights.

I have seen all of the 's and the 's and the 's and the 's and even the 's....but no solution.

I am sure it is here somewhere, but the season will be over by the time I get through the 100 pages of posts from the search.

Is this a dealer repair? I have the additonal battery, can send power directly to the running lights through that battery?

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:51 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Very sorry to hear about your problems, even though they were as predictable as the sun rising and falling.

No, your secondary battery has nothing to do with it at all.
I'm also assuming that your dealer has already performed W406 on your Cayenne.

You have several options:

1. Start unplugging running lights until everything works. No, I'm not kidding, this is what your dealer would do under direction from PCNA.

2. Dial 1 800 Get A Lawyer. No, I'm not kidding either.

Some day, the rest of the story will be told...............
Old 02-05-2006, 03:51 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JPhillips-998
Hooked up the S today. Turn indicators and brakes work. Running lights flicker very faintly. It is a 20' enclosed with about 18 running lights.

I have seen all of the 's and the 's and the 's and the 's and even the 's....but no solution.

I am sure it is here somewhere, but the season will be over by the time I get through the 100 pages of posts from the search.

Is this a dealer repair? I have the additonal battery, can send power directly to the running lights through that battery?

Thanks for the help.
HELP us GOD! Phillips - 998 may become our second member to wear a straight jacket and have a pencil in his mouth... now that he is trying to tow... You have no idea what you've wrought. mudman2, skl, torags, alex, shamus.... let me run to the kitchen and get a pitcher or two of Kool-Aid and adult additive.. this could be quite entertaining.... Forum life is grand --- ain't it?

.....And now, I give you his Royal Highness the Prince of darkness (not personally just when towing at night), the most excellent resident of the vacation villa and keeper of the knowledge of good and evil regarding the cayenne trailer lighting.... HEREeeeeeeeeeeeee's ltc!
Old 02-05-2006, 03:57 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Somehow I think my answer was more appropriate and I should at least get a small pat on the head or belly scratch, don't you think?

After all, I know more about the behavior of the factory tow control unit than PAG's design engineers......

As I said, someday I'll post the 'mother of all posts' and it will all make sense.

Until then, I'm afraid he has to start unscrewing running lights (don't ask why), just like 'skl' had to do with his ATC enclosed......or use a properly designed 7 pin Pollack equipped tow vehicle...which is basically ANY other tow vehicle on the planet except the Cayenne.
(No, he can't use my wife's Excursion...I'm still trying to figure out how to tell her I'm taking her car this season, but I'm sure a trip to the jewelry store will be involved....that's OK, I'm crazy about her)
Old 02-05-2006, 03:59 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Perhaps he could read my posts about carrying:

1. Qty 2 MagLite flashlights.
2. Qty 1 Case of D batteries.
3. Qty 1 Roll of Racer's tape
4. Qty 1 Digital camera, to capture the look on people's faces when you pull into the front gate/paddock with your on the road 'enhancements'.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:07 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Somehow I think my answer was more appropriate and I should at least get a small pat on the head or belly scratch, don't you think? ............ (No, he can't use my wife's Excursion...I'm still trying to figure out how to tell her I'm taking her car this season, but I'm sure a trip to the jewelry store will be involved....that's OK, I'm crazy about her)
Okay.. roll over you widdle cuddly alley cat and we'll scratch your belly... you were very tame. Now regarding jewelry and your wife... RUN AWAY.... jewelry it is a grotesque beast with big pointie teeth... once you start feeding the jewelry monster it never stops... RUN AWAY.... RUN FOR YOUR LIVES...
Old 02-05-2006, 04:31 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

After mine was installed, one problem they found was a bad ground connection. Still get the ! but all the lights alway work.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:58 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MadFox
Now regarding jewelry and your wife... RUN AWAY.... jewelry it is a grotesque beast with big pointie teeth... once you start feeding the jewelry monster it never stops... RUN AWAY.... RUN FOR YOUR LIVES...
You're 27 years too late...........thanks anyways.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:59 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mudman2
After mine was installed, one problem they found was a bad ground connection. Still get the ! but all the lights alway work.
You're taking away the sport and drama from this saga, don't you think?
Old 02-05-2006, 05:59 PM
buckeyedoc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aw...CRAP Jeff!!!

Just like a br!sk gust of wind on the smoldering f!re of LTC's m!sery tales...
Old 02-05-2006, 06:01 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Thank you.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:36 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
You're 27 years too late...........thanks anyways.
it's never too late to stop feeding the jewelry addiction... don't enable... it's worse than crack cocaine.... RUN AWAY... Tupperware... now, try to get that addiction going. or wait does she like purple liquids?
Old 02-05-2006, 06:38 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

After being with me for 27 years.....do YOU think she drinks?
Old 02-05-2006, 09:34 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 965 Likes on 589 Posts

998- if you get a different answer from your dealer, please inform us...ltc is correct, my dealer kept unplugging running lights from my 18' V nose enclosed ATC trailer until the running lights would come on AT ALL, otherwise I'd just get the ! with NO lights when turning on the headlights. I still get the ! everytime I turn on the lights with the trailer attached. I will say I've never had the infamous NO lights at all, and I can't imagine I'd be as civil as Lewis if it happened to me...still wonder if Touregs have the same problem, and if the upcoming Q7 will as well, or is Porsche just "special." ??
Old 02-05-2006, 09:41 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by skl
I will say I've never had the infamous NO lights at all,
I kind of thought by now they'd be at least a "little famous".....oh well.
Originally Posted by skl
and I can't imagine I'd be as civil as Lewis if it happened to me...
It's the meds......

Originally Posted by skl
still wonder if Touaregs have the same problem, and if the upcoming Q7 will as well, or is Porsche just "special." ??
As of this moment, there is no fix at PAG....although they are now 'looking' into it.
So, if I know electronics development cycles thru PAG and their subcontractor/suppliers (and how would I possibly know about that? ), I'd guess 2 years before anything is deployed.....assuming of course PAG will actually spend the $.

IIRC, the tow control module was designed/supplied to PAG by Westfalia. I do not know if they are also a supplier to VAG, but I'd guess they would be, as VAG has little in house towing electronics knowledge....but based on the Cayenne/Touareg tow control unit "!" performance, Westfalia apparently doesn't either.

They should have let me just fix the F*^_NG thing in the first place...........

Quick Reply: Okay...seriously now, what is the trailer light fix?