Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Okay...seriously now, what is the trailer light fix?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 04:28 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

Just cut off the ends and wire it up to the proper connectors. Or use adapters.

It looks like the module tab may also help to dissipate heat to the trailer frame.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:42 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JFScheck
Too bad they don't make one with the other type of plug...
You can buy a 4-7pin adapter, no problem.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:43 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by wingless
It looks like the module tab may also help to dissipate heat to the trailer frame.
I wonder if you leave it plugged into the Cayenne with the trailer disconnected if the Cayenne will think there is still a trailer connected.....and enable the secondary directional indicators....

I would imagine this has to be installed on the trailer/frame, so it is part of the trailer wiring harness.

Just a hunch.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:54 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 98 Posts

Well, I guess I get to join THIS club now. My "G" racer arrives today from MN, and I picked up a Haulmark enclosed 24 footer on Saturday. No LED lights on trailer, BUT my towing control module is bad. Go ahead, ask me how I know. "!" At least I had brake lights and turn signals AND it was day time when I picked up my trailer and took it over to the storage place! (no taillights) "!"

Another member of the"club". Now where is that purple stuff?

Toby
Old 04-03-2006, 10:22 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Congratulations on your "G" racer. Look forward to seeing a pic or two posted somewhere on rennlist.

For moral support, please contact rennlist member/Cayenne owner 'skl'. He has an ATC enclosed with non LED lights and has 'survived' to date.

As for your factory tow bar control unit (OEM to PAG from Westfalia), I hope you are not 'naked' and still under the 4yr/50K mark.

Please send your T-shirt size to rennlist member/Cayenne owner 'MadFox'.....he's also the offical forum 'bartender' and 'keeper of the adult additives for the Purplesaurus Rex recipe'; I'm sure you've seen the T-shirt designs and of course our official drink sponsor......
Attached Images   
Old 04-03-2006, 10:50 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc
Please send your T-shirt size to rennlist member/Cayenne owner 'MadFox'.....he's also the offical forum 'bartender' and 'keeper of the adult additives for the Purplesaurus Rex recipe'; I'm sure you've seen the T-shirt designs and of course our official drink sponsor......
Actually if you are over 50K and an official member of the "naked" sub-set of the "club", the following pic is more relevant (hawaii seized several ext. warranty companies and is liquidating them -- don't ask if we're getting money back that is a 2-3 year question -- I'm NOT bitter!) subset t-shirt to follow.
Attached Images  
Old 04-03-2006, 10:54 AM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

I towed w/my trailer yesterday. 20' enclosed, 16 side lights and 4 tail lights. I had to remove 2 of the side markers for all to work. I chose 2 on the top/front of the trailer. Not a great solution but certainly one I can live with....
Old 04-03-2006, 10:58 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

It is possible, in a situation like that, to have the running lamp wire power a relay and use the unswitched power, through the relay contacts, to power any additional lights.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:37 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by wingless
It is possible, in a situation like that, to have the running lamp wire power a relay and use the unswitched power, through the relay contacts, to power any additional lights.
I still fail to see the need to modify trailer/wiring to make it compatible with the Cayenne.

You take a perfectly functional, correctly designed, 100% working trailer, attach it to any tow vehicle in the world (except for a Cayenne/Touareg....and I'm going to guess the Q7 as well) and it works fine. There's nothing wrong with the trailer/wiring/lighting.

Never mind........
Old 04-03-2006, 11:59 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
I still fail to see the need to modify trailer/wiring to make it compatible with the Cayenne.
My read is that the trailer was already modified, to have two non-functional lamps.

Originally Posted by JPhillips-998
20' enclosed, 16 side lights and 4 tail lights. I had to remove 2 of the side markers for all to work. I chose 2 on the top/front of the trailer.
This is a modification, as are adapters.

My opinion is that the vehicle should tolerate and function with any properly wired trailer, but it doesn't. So, what are the options? Use all the left over mag light / auxilliary trailer lighting D cell batteries to power a new vehicle for thousands of miles and tow with something else? Some people will have the Cayenne long enough to warrant considering these possible changes.

Just putting the info out there...
Old 04-03-2006, 12:28 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Wingless, I don't understand what you are saying here....

To clarify, the trailer does not have LED's. The lights would only flicker when attached to the truck. By removing 2 of the 16, the remaining lights are now working.

If there is a solution to get all of the lights working, I would be open to looking into it. The link you attached took me to the LED adapter. I am (more) okay with driving w/o 2 upper/front marker lights as opposed to spending a couple of hundred on converting to LED.

That's why I said, not the best solution, but one I can live with. The reason it is necessary is b/c Porsche isn't doing anything to rectify the situtation and we need to haul our cars. Don't have to like it but "it is what it is"
Old 04-03-2006, 01:19 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Yes, do not exchange your incandescent lamps.

Instead purchase a 12 VDC automotive relay, with an integrated plastic mounting tab and 0.250 male Faston terminals.

Change the trailer wiring to energize the relay coil from the running lamp wire. One coil lead to the running lamp, the other coil lead to ground.

Then wire the normally open contact to the always-hot +12 volt wire, from the vehicle. Wire the common contact to either all the running lamps, or just the disconnected running lamps. If changed to all, please report if the vehicle is happy with such a low running lamp load.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:32 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

That's why I said, not the best solution, but one I can live with. The reason it is necessary is b/c Porsche isn't doing anything to rectify the situtation and we need to haul our cars.
Without digging up the dead.....they deserve their well earned rest........

There is nothing wrong with the Cayenne's factory towbar control unit. Ask PCNA, they'll be glad to tell you......in writing if you ask.

How can this be? How do you know it's broken or not working properly?

Check your owner's manual. Look for "Check Trailer Lights"....hmmn, not there
Check your owner's manual. Look for "!" when towing...hmmmn, not there.
Check your owner's manual. Look up towing specifications....hmmmn, only lists towing weights.
Check your owner's manual. Look for the 7 pin Pollack connections/specifications.....hmmmmn, not there.

So how can something be broken if you don't know what it's supposed to do in the first place? Who told you what kind of lights, how many lights, etc are compatible with his vehicle? Can you say 'plausible deniability'?

(of course, every other proper tow vehicle on the road today could give a rat's *** how many and what type of lights are connected to it's 7 pin connector....

Don't have to like it ....
You shouldn't like it.

...but "it is what it is"
Only if you allow it to be.

Quick Reply: Okay...seriously now, what is the trailer light fix?