Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Caynnes S is in the shop again...is it almost time to switch to Q7?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 08:57 PM
pingwrx
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Caynnes S is in the shop again...is it almost time to switch to Q7?

So my Cayenne S is in the shop again for this error message: System Error: Amplifier. CD Changer not available. This is my 3rd trip to the dealer for this problem; hopefully the third will be the charm. They said that it has something to do with the optical lines coming into the PCM, if there’s too much bend in the lines, then the signals don’t get to the head unit properly, and this was according to PCNA. Anyway, what was nice about this trip to the dealer was that they gave me an Audi A8 L for me to drive as a loaner…and all I have to say is what a car! I was never into Audis but after driving the A8, I have completely changed my opinion…in fact I’m going to take a SERIOUS look into trading in my Cayenne S for the Q7. It’ll be an interesting comparison; I can’t wait until they start shipping the Q7s.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:12 PM
JARO
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow...that happened only once to me...3 times...wow
Old 02-02-2006, 09:12 PM
JARO
Pro

in my case they replaced the amp...now even the sound is better
Old 02-02-2006, 09:28 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by pingwrx
So my Cayenne S is in the shop again for this error message: System Error: Amplifier. CD Changer not available. This is my 3rd trip to the dealer for this problem; hopefully the third will be the charm.
3 times for the same problem.....and you're complaining and thinking of trading it in? Rookie.

They said that it has something to do with the optical lines coming into the PCM, if there’s too much bend in the lines, then the signals don’t get to the head unit properly, and this was according to PCNA.
Yes, they are correct. The reason you are seeing System Error: Amplifier is that is the last MOST device seen or expected to be seen.
The optical fiber is prone to problems. From the sounds of your issue, you likely had a marginal fiber during install, since these things don't bend around once installed. You may also have had a marginal job of polishing/terminating the fiber in the housing.
What they are reluctant to do is tear your car apart and run new fiber from the dashboard (headunit) all the way back to the cargo compartment, passenger side, which is where the amplifier and CDChanger live........$$ labor dollars that PCNA would have to eat.
It would, however, fix your problem.

Anyway, what was nice about this trip to the dealer was that they gave me an Audi A8 L for me to drive as a loaner…and all I have to say is what a car! I was never into Audis but after driving the A8, I have completely changed my opinion…in fact I’m going to take a SERIOUS look into trading in my Cayenne S for the Q7. It’ll be an interesting comparison; I can’t wait until they start shipping the Q7s.
VAG vehicles are always best in class for interior design and when they run, they run well. However, Audi service is hit or miss and in most cases will not live up to Porsche service standards. If you have a good Audi dealer with good service personnel (front and back), then you may enjoy Audi ownership.

BTW, you probably should know that the A8L is MOST (fiber optics based) infotainment design and actually uses the SAME exact MOST DSP amplifier that is in your Cayenne (actually it's the same in all MY03+ Porsches).

We ought to find that SOB who designed it and string him up.....no wait, we should make him buy a Cayenne.....no wait, I think we already did.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:58 PM
JARO
Pro

damn LTC.....how do you know so much? what line of business are you in ?
Old 02-03-2006, 12:10 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

There is an easy way to test this without the joy of ripping the vehicle apart. They could connect the head unit to the amp temporarily by running it directly through the interior.

Then, if the installed cable is determined to be bad, they could dig in and run the new one.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:38 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JARO
damn LTC.....how do you know so much? what line of business are you in ?
I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you....but since you've endured Cayenne ownership, death obvioulsy doesn't scare you.

But, let's put it this way........
There's a part of me in almost every Porsche on the road since.....I don't know, say 2003 thru say......2009 (for now)......I know, scary thought, you should probably consider selling.

Hmmn, who IS this straight jacketed, medicated, sponge bathed, locked away in a 'vacation villa' forced to type with a #2 pencil between his teeth on a laptop individual?

Broke my heart to leave my parents back there on Krypton, but I'm here now, so I suppose I have to defend people against the evil PAG.

Damn, 11:30.....30 minutes past bed check and lights out.....caught again.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:39 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by wingless
There is an easy way to test this without the joy of ripping the vehicle apart. They could connect the head unit to the amp temporarily by running it directly through the interior.
Then, if the installed cable is determined to be bad, they could dig in and run the new one.
Yes, but that would take the fun out of it, wouldn't it?

I've got spools of MOST optical fiber...I have to use it for shoelaces and a belt, since they took those away from me.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:44 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Hmmn, who IS this straight jacketed, medicated, sponge bathed, locked away in a 'vacation villa' forced to type with a #2 pencil between his teeth on a laptop individual? Broke my heart to leave my parents back there on Krypton, but I'm here now, so I suppose I have to defend people against the evil PAG.
and, most importantly.... keeper of the Kool-Aid recipe...
Old 02-03-2006, 02:19 AM
Enrique
Track Day

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know when they'll begin shipping the Q7's?
Old 02-03-2006, 07:32 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Enrique
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know when they'll begin shipping the Q7's?
Summer of 2006 as a 2007 model, so figure in one of the 2 months that start wtih "J".
Your dealer likely already has an arrival date for their launch car(s) and should already be taking deposits.

As has always been the case, the interior is without equal....a VAG design standard.
Quality/craftsmanship/design above and beyond any SUV currently available. Too bad, if it weren't for that "squabble" a couple of years ago, you may have actually seen on with the Porsche crest....but perhaps it's better this way.

Personally I like the MMI much better than iDrive.....and I hear rumors that the audio system is actually pretty good as well
The US models may even get adaptive cruise control.....kind of unnerving the first time you use it, especially at speed on the A8 late at night!
Old 02-03-2006, 12:13 PM
buckeyedoc
Intermediate

I just checked out the Q7 at Audi.com...it looks way too Chrysler-like...the back looks pretty nice but the front ... Audi needed to offer something really unique to break into the SUV mkt...IMO they've missed the boat. The front lines look like a river barge out of the water...not very swept or aerodynamic. It's a hybrid SUV/minivan...actually sliding doors on the back might be an option to offer...cal it the Family Package ($3,500) and throw in a couple GameBoy Advances for the kids...the sliding doors pop open with a press of the remote OK, I'll quit...there still isn't anyone out there(except Ferrari) who offers a SUV with "turning-heads" looks and prestige comparable to the Porsche.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:24 PM
schvetkaaks
Pro

I saw it in person and the front looks like the Izuzu Axiom, almost exactly.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:32 PM
buckeyedoc
Intermediate

THAT's IT!!! I knew I'd seen that front somewhere before...well, the AXIOM is a pretty HOT looking SUV...HEY...is there an Audi/Isuzu thing goin' on we don't know about?
Old 02-03-2006, 12:37 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by buckeyedoc
...there still isn't anyone out there(except Ferrari) who offers a SUV with "turning-heads" looks and prestige comparable to the Porsche.
Yes, it's called the Touareg, which, apart from the engine (and Brembo supplied brakes), IS a Cayenne (same unibody, same PASM, same towing, same electronics/climate control).

As for prestige, that's a subjective item. I can't imagine a Cayenne being a symbol of 'prestige'.

Quick Reply: My Caynnes S is in the shop again...is it almost time to switch to Q7?